What's new

How Many Types of QOS Are There?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bulldog

Regular Contributor
Between marketing jargon and technical descriptions, every time I turn around there's some new type of QOS. Please help my confused brain!

Regardless of what it's called, I (think I) understand that there are basically three kinds of QOS:
  1. priority based = high/medium/low;
  2. bandwidth based = allocate 'x' amount of bandwidth here and 'y' amount of bandwidth there; and
  3. algorithm based = let the router figure out what the heck to do (which seems very attractive at times.)
ASUS routers (my main interest) advertise Smart QOS, Adaptive QOS and Traditional QOS. Do these three map to the categories above? Are they something different altogether?

First, let's start off with your internet connection speeds. Are they higher than 500/500 up/down? If they are, QoS doesn't matter. ;)

I'm sure others can give you the details you request, but with the information we have now, it is easy to recommend Adaptive QoS along with the FreshJR QoS script to allow it to work properly. :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

Read the first few posts/pages in the link above to see why the FreshJR script is needed. :)

As far as I can tell? The others don't work. ;)

OpenWRT has one of the more mature open source QoS options....they call it “SQM”: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm

piece of cake truly is very easy to use and just works. For the readers of this forum (power users generally) - most appreciate both the decrease in latency and good throughput. For power users with higher speeds - I disagree with L&LD - quality SQM QoS provides great improvements in latency!

L&LD is correct for the normal user (the other 99.9%) - if you have higher speeds you probably aren’t paying attention and don’t need QoS.

And is SQM possible on an Asus router?

After doing a lot more reading, I think I finally have this figured out:

Smart QOS is a generic term which simply means that the router is capable of allocating bandwidth on its own, using algorithms, with or without involvement from the user.

Adaptive QOS is also a generic term which means that apps or services with higher priority will get more bandwidth than apps or services with lower priority when services compete for limited bandwidth. The user decides which apps and services should have higher or lower priority. Another name for Adaptive QOS is Priority QOS or Priority-based QOS.

Traditional QOS is a term used by ASUS to mean manually configured QOS, where the router follows the user's rules for allocating bandwidth.

And like Porky the Pig said: "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

QoS in what sense, in terms of priority? I just installed 19 IP Polycom phones for my daughter's small business. I can no longer go around and upgrade Microsoft Windows10 on all the PCs like in the past. The IP phones have priority in the layer 3 switch. If I get too many PC updating the updates time out because our upload bandwidth is too small with Spectrum. AT&T is suppose to install fiber this month but there has been a problem so we are still on copper.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online