What's new

How to change language of latest firmware of AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I signed on after I found a way to set the language to English.
Thanks to the thread I learned about the ssh login and the nvram utility.
I tried, but could not change preferred_lang from JP, as others reported already. I'm using the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384_32799, as of Dec. 9 2018).
Once it actually did show =EN, but only once, it didn't change anything, and it didn't survive a reboot. I've also found a 'temp_lang' setting, which *will* stay at =EN if set so, but it doesn't seem to do anything interesting.
HOWEVER: I tried this: "nvram set preferred_lang=", i.e. I set it to empty. 'nvram show' showed that it stayed that way, also after nvram commit.
I then refreshed the web page (I was also logged in via the gui), and lo and behold, it changed to English!
I have not rebooted. I don't know if it survives a reboot, but this thing never need reboots anyway - this is my second AC68U, I've had another one running for years non-stop in Japan (and that one had the normal language selection tab, so I never imagined that the new second one wouldn't too). Anyway, my problem is solved - I can struggle through the Japanese UI, but it's is definitely easier with the English version.

TL;DR;
This fixed it for me:
ssh in as admin
nvram set preferred_lang=
nvram show|grep lang
verify that it's still empty
nvram commit
nvram show|grep lang
verify that it's still empty
Don't reboot (don't know if this makes it reverse again - I haven't tried)
Refresh web browser UI, or log in fresh.
It should change to English.
Hello @Tor, I tried your workaround and it worked like a charm with my RT-AC85U !!
And it survived a reboot !
There is no dropdown menu but the GUI is in english now (was in Japanese).
Thanks a lot !!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!