What's new

How to check compilation from git?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

White_Knight

Regular Contributor
Hello To All,

Today i first time compile FW image from github, compilation proccess ended after archiving image into .trx file with FW.
How i can check, compillation process run? with out any errors or not ?
I find some log files in image directory (with compilled FW ) named output2.txt, output3.txt, dict_prep.txt and dictenum.txt.

As i understend log files dict_prep.txt and dictenum.txt show language files compilation process
In file named output2.txt i see:

Code:
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
dict no found : /home/user/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x/router/mipsel-uclibc/install/www/www/Advanced_PerformanceTuning_Content.asp , PerformaceTuning_desc
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
Dict no found file...
.... ( repeat "Dict no found file..." strings upper ) .....
That Normal situation or not ?

in file output3.txt:
Code:
HTML file : /home/user/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x/router/mipsel-uclibc/install/www/www/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp
HTML_PREP_ELSE no found
HTML_PREP_END no found
Done!
HTML file : /home/user/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x/router/mipsel-uclibc/install/www/www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp
HTML_PREP_ELSE no found
HTML_PREP_END no found
Done!
that normal ?
has additional log files ?

General question of this topic, How i can check compilled FW image before uploading to my HW by logs or txt files ?

Sorry if that question is asket before, please point to correct Thread and close this topic

There will be tons of errors and warnings of all sort in the build log. The whole build process is quite messy and never got cleaned up by Asus (lots of leftovers from its Tomato ancestor).

If you have a trx file that is close or above 20 MB, then go ahead and flash it. Worst case scenario, you will have to use Recovery Mode to reflash it.

If you have a serious doubt and you don't have a serial cable for emergency recoveries, here is what I recommend:

0) Make sure you have a copy of a working firmware to flash in case of problem!
1) Make a backup of your router settings
2) Restore it to factory default
3) Reconfigure only the very basic settings so you have LAN access
4) Flash test firmware
5) If it works fine, restore your saved settings

This procedure is especially important for RT-AC56 (and possibly also RT-AC68) owners, as it ensures the bootloader won't be broken by nvram settings that could prevent it from entering recovery mode is necessary.

Which brings another question. All of the previous builds up to .43 were in the 28-29M range. I see that the newest .44 alphas are only 20M. What changed? Is this part of the debug cycle?

Which brings another question. All of the previous builds up to .43 were in the 28-29M range. I see that the newest .44 alphas are only 20M. What changed? Is this part of the debug cycle?

The new DPI engine that will eventually be added to the ARM devices would make the firmware grow beyond the 32 MB limit. To resolve this, I changed Download Master so it will be downloaded from Asus's servers on its initial install rather than installed from included packages. This saves a lot of space as you can see, and will just slow down the initial Download Master installation (which anyway needs to download an update right away, so you're saving much on installation time anyway).

This is how routers with smaller flash (such as the RT-N56U) are able to support Download Master BTW.

See this commit.

If you have a trx file that is close or above 20 MB, then go ahead and flash it. Worst case scenario, you will have to use Recovery Mode to reflash it.

I got this:
RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.44_alpha4.trx (26*984*448 bytes)
MD5: 23A1B555F202A83222CE8FA60C4BC6F1
Compilled : 07/12/2014

I allways use FW Recovery programm by ASUS ( on installation CD ) when upgrade FW on device.

Work of Recovery Mode on Device does not depend if somethong wrong in compilled FW image ? I allways can Recovery by another your FW ? ( i fear get brick )

Thank you fro your answer Merlin.

I got this:
RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.44_alpha4.trx (26*984*448 bytes)
MD5: 23A1B555F202A83222CE8FA60C4BC6F1
Compilled : 07/12/2014

I allways use FW Recovery programm by ASUS ( on installation CD ) when upgrade FW on device.

Work of Recovery Mode on Device does not depend if somethong wrong in compilled FW image ? I allways can Recovery by another your FW ? ( i fear get brick )

Thank you fro your answer Merlin.

Firmware recovery is handled by the bootloader, which is untouched by a firmware upgrade.

I see you have an RT-N66U, so flash away. The risk of problems with the bootloader doesn't happen with the RT-N66U.

You should use the regular upgrade feature through the web interface for the firmware upgrade, as flashing in recovery mode is MUCH slower on the RT-N66U. It will take about 5 mins instead of 15-25 mins.

Firmware recovery is handled by the bootloader, which is untouched by a firmware upgrade.

I see you have an RT-N66U, so flash away. The risk of problems with the bootloader doesn't happen with the RT-N66U.

You should use the regular upgrade feature through the web interface for the firmware upgrade, as flashing in recovery mode is MUCH slower on the RT-N66U. It will take about 5 mins instead of 15-25 mins.

Merlin,Thank You , i flash this FW without any problems ( use the regular upgrade feature through the web)
On first look FW work good , if i find something i inform in git account.
By the way, i use Russian language when use your FW , and find some untranstated infos or warnings, i can help you and correct translate this.

UPD(issue): When i setup, restore settings and restart router( after some time, may be 30 - 40 min ) i look at my External HDD, files on my Drive is deleted ( most in minidlna dir ) before it i have lot of files on it, others dirs is ok
Before i see this i do next : restore jffs scripts and switch on ( in samba settings ) Master Browser and WINS serwer, thats all.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't support translation. Too much work. Last time I supported multiple language in one of my programs, it became a mess after a few months as the two translators who were collaborating with me at the time stopped doing so. So, no more translated programs from me.

For your HDD, run a check disk utility. Files could have been lost due to corruption, as there is no functionality in the router that could delete files.

Good day Merlin,
I watch for updates on github, and today you add new branch named 1779, can i compile this or better wait when you merge it with master branch ?

Good day Merlin,
I watch for updates on github, and today you add new branch named 1779, can i compile this or better wait when you merge it with master branch ?

1779 was mostly tested on the AC87U, with just limited testing on an AC56U. Up to you if you want to try it out on other models, but at this point they are untested. I wouldn't recommend it for production use at this time.

I compiled this FW and try it on my N66U, what i can say about this.

1.Wireless speed is good ( and coverage too ) better than 43.2 ( i want to say about slider signal strength in WiFi settings, better use mW meter than percent )

2. Broken Web page layout on WiFi temperature page ( i see only graph without menu and other settings )

3. I say about alpha4 ( on alpha5 i don't check this for now ) ,
I use https protocol for communicate with router GUI.
when WAN Connection is down system try to show me information message about this but i can't see massage because URL is wrong! Instead https url begin with http

I know upper issue is visual , otherwise i doesn't see problems , FW working ...

Hello Merlin,

Why i couldn't use -j option with make commpand ?

Code:
 make -j2 rt-n66u

If i correct -j cann't be use because make command compille ( if j=2 in my example ) two threads at the same time and if one of them doesn't compile first needed command for continuing compilation second thread get error and compilation stops.
It's correct ?

In other option like

Code:
make -j2 clean

i can speed up clean procedure without errors. in this case no matter which folder clean first?

Thank you for answer.

Hello Merlin,

Why i couldn't use -j option with make commpand ?

Code:
 make -j2 rt-n66u

If i correct -j cann't be use because make command compille ( if j=2 in my example ) two threads at the same time and if one of them doesn't compile first needed command for continuing compilation second thread get error and compilation stops.
It's correct ?

In other option like

Code:
make -j2 clean

i can speed up clean procedure without errors. in this case no matter which folder clean first?

Thank you for answer.

Because that root make launches a bunch of separate makes, and these won't inherit the -j parameters. Also, some components do not build cleanly with parallel build enabled. So, the parameter must be passed to the sub-make processes themselves rather than the root one (which will fail).

I already did the work of sorting out which were safe (and worth it). The firmware is already building some components using -j <num_procs> when it can safely be done, as you can see in this file:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/release/src-rt/platform.mak

Hello Merlin ,

Could you say what differents in source code between release 376.49 and today 378.51 alpha, because i see different in size, old is 28Mb new one is 19MB ?
Sorry for question if you answered before, just point to your answer.
Thank you.

Hello Merlin ,

Could you say what differents in source code between release 376.49 and today 378.51 alpha, because i see different in size, old is 28Mb new one is 19MB ?
Sorry for question if you answered before, just point to your answer.
Thank you.

Most models no longer include the installer packages for Download Master, to save up space (that gives 5-7 MB of additional JFFS space to the RT-N66U which was starting to run out of space for JFFS, and it allows the RT-AC68U and RT-AC56U firmwares to still fit within 32 MB after adding the DPI engine).

This has no real drawbacks, since most of the time, your router would install the old DM packages, and afterward it would redownload an updated version from Asus's servers. Now, it goes straight to that downloaded update.

RMerlin, I wholly agree with not installing anything that 1) might not be used by everyone and 2) would more than likely need to be updated anyways.

Just seems natural to assume the more compact firmware will be better optimized for a greater range of hardware than a bloated one. At least for basic routing workloads.

RMerlin, I wholly agree with not installing anything that 1) might not be used by everyone and 2) would more than likely need to be updated anyways.

Just seems natural to assume the more compact firmware will be better optimized for a greater range of hardware than a bloated one. At least for basic routing workloads.

Note that the change is only related to the installer packages, not the running code. Those are simply dormant files, and have no impact on performance until you plug a USB disk and purposely install Download Master.

Yes, the code is not running, but with the installer packages also missing, the hardware can be used for things the user wants instead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!