What's new

how to read traffic monitoring files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bgemin

New Around Here
I've got an RT-AC56U running 374.40.

I've enabled the per IP traffic monitoring. The daily stats page works well for me. I've enabled under tools->other settings traffic monitoring every hour to custom location on a USB key. On the key I've got a couple of files:
tomato_cstats_d850e6d95130.gz
tomato_rstats_d850e6d95130.gz

Assuming things I've setup things properly, how do I get the data from these files? I've gunzip'd them but they look to be binary.

thanks
Bert

I've got an RT-AC56U running 374.40.

I've enabled the per IP traffic monitoring. The daily stats page works well for me. I've enabled under tools->other settings traffic monitoring every hour to custom location on a USB key. On the key I've got a couple of files:
tomato_cstats_d850e6d95130.gz
tomato_rstats_d850e6d95130.gz

Assuming things I've setup things properly, how do I get the data from these files? I've gunzip'd them but they look to be binary.

You don't. They are in binary format, processed by the firmware and displayed on the Traffic Monitor pages.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way to get these stats from the router? Like SNMP or csv file download?

Bert

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way to get these stats from the router? Like SNMP or csv file download?

Bert

Global traffic is taken directly from the network interfaces (/proc/net/dev).

Per device traffic is taken through Netfilter, using the ipt-account Netfilter module, so you would have to parse its proc interface if you wanted to do your own data gathering.

Otherwise, you could analyse the cstats/rstats code to map out the data format used by these two databases. I know a Tomato user recently did that for cstats (rstats however uses a different format).