What's new

How to reduce Jitter on the internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raion969

Hello

What can i do to reduce Jitter? Are there some Settings that helps ?

Test wired to rollout wirless bandwidth/channel issues.
If it only happens during high load get QoS setup (I use FlexQoS - see the threads here).
If it happens regardless of load it's your ISP or their routing and not much you can do about.

Try Cake QOS. This is what it's designed for

Morris

How much jitter are you getting? If it's below 10ms, don't even worry about it. If it's in the hundreds or thousands, then you definitely have a problem. QOS can help a lot when properly configured, but that requires more details about your internet connection. (SpeedTest results would help, for one.)

Edit: Roughly 50GB of data used the last 24hr. FlexQOS set up and working properly:

1641253777809.png

Last edited:
Hello

What can i do to reduce Jitter? Are there some Settings that helps ?

the biggest improvement to jitter will be from getting a better internet connection IMO.

fibre > xDSL > cable

if you live in a fibre area, and can afford it, it's a waste of time to play with router settings rather than just upgrading from antiquated DOCSIS 3.x cable internet to fibre.

assuming of course that you care deeply about jitter (gamer?)
I don't, which is why I'm still on crappy cable lol.

Not so crappy. I'm on the same ISP as you, jitter is 1-5ms with ping 8-10ms.

the biggest improvement to jitter will be from getting a better internet connection IMO.

fibre > xDSL > cable

if you live in a fibre area, and can afford it, it's a waste of time to play with router settings rather than just upgrading from antiquated DOCSIS 3.x cable internet to fibre.

assuming of course that you care deeply about jitter (gamer?)
I agree with your ordering, but would like to mention - my jitter chart above is from a cable connection in a TINA area. (There Is No Alternative) Apparently we're all cable users here. Properly configured QOS can do wonders. It's absolutely worth looking into, even for the less technically inclined. The benefits are worth the setup struggle, in my opinion. And if you're technically inclined or can read and follow forum threads/guides, it won't be much struggle.

I agree with your ordering, but would like to mention - my jitter chart above is from a cable connection in a TINA area. (There Is No Alternative) Apparently we're all cable users here. Properly configured QOS can do wonders. It's absolutely worth looking into, even for the less technically inclined. The benefits are worth the setup struggle, in my opinion. And if you're technically inclined or can read and follow forum threads/guides, it won't be much struggle.

Yes I agree with you. If there is no alternative, it's definitely worthy to take the time to set up QoS and configure it correctly, especially if you're a competitive gamer or do a lot of videoconferencing calls.

What do you think about this values?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220107-222017_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220107-222017_Chrome.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 224
I think we have to guess what the values are on this screenshot. :rolleyes:

The quality is too low, and the screenshot too fuzzy. You might be able to upload to a place like Imgur. They can do high quality immensely large screenshots. I once stuck a page screenshot there, about 30,000 pixels tall.

Yes I agree with you. If there is no alternative, it's definitely worthy to take the time to set up QoS and configure it correctly, especially if you're a competitive gamer or do a lot of videoconferencing calls.
@raion969 is a competitive gamer, and I believe he's using FlexQoS.
He and I have had an ongoing conversation for >1y now about improving his experience with router settings/config, but unfortunately his ISP connection is out of his hands, and as you've said that's where the improvement can be achieved/realized. He's even in a country that presumably offers him plenty of other options, but...
The case to change ISP/service must be justified beyond gaming experience, I think, because other users on his network seem satisfied, but it may be a cost issue as well.
Maybe they should look into making their router simply an AP and going with an OpenWRT/PiHole? A RasPi4 is probably significantly more capable than the ol' 5300's innards: the quad core 1.8GHz processor and up to 8GB of RAM (4GB is plenty) certainly exceed what Asus was proud to market as "state of the art" 3 (? - or more?) years ago...

Maybe they should look into making their router simply an AP and going with an OpenWRT/PiHole? A RasPi4 is probably significantly more capable than the ol' 5300's innards: the quad core 1.8GHz processor and up to 8GB of RAM (4GB is plenty) certainly exceed what Asus was proud to market as "state of the art" 3 (? - or more?) years ago...
It shouldn’t make much of a difference with 100 Mbit service.

jea i have 104k down and 20 up ;-)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!