What's new

Ethernet Cable Questions - Jitter / Ping - Professional opinion needed please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blackfyre

Occasional Visitor
I am now living in an area that still uses HFC Technology, even with 1Gbps Speeds, there is always jitter that gets worse when there is more (internet) congestion in the suburb, for example on weekends.

Jitter and ping spikes that do not occur in suburbs that use fibre cables to the home.

Anyway, to the point, would using a 22awg (thicker copper cable) that has PCB Circuitry for improved near-end cross talk reduction (picture below), such as the ones made by Linkup, provide improved (lower) jitter and ping? I know it cannot be eliminated, I just want to improve the current situation as much as possible.

For reference, the cable that comes from the street is a thick HFC Copper cable, that goes directly to the modem. The modem is then connected to my AX86U router via a 7m Ethernet cable, and another Ethernet cable from the router to the PC.

If I do buy these, I would buy two of them, a 7m cable from the modem to the router, and a 1m cable from the router to the PC.

1697321006548.png

I have, I use 1492 (seems to provide the best results). I'm also on PPPoe, so that's the recommended.

Here's my QoS Settings too – These provide the best results for me:

1697322757170.png

I am now living in an area that still uses HFC Technology, even with 1Gbps Speeds, there is always jitter that gets worse when there is more (internet) congestion in the suburb, for example on weekends.

Jitter and ping spikes that do not occur in suburbs that use fibre cables to the home.

Anyway, to the point, would using a 22awg (thicker copper cable) that has PCB Circuitry for improved near-end cross talk reduction (picture below), such as the ones made by Linkup, provide improved (lower) jitter and ping? I know it cannot be eliminated, I just want to improve the current situation as much as possible.

No benefit...

Any cable that meets spec is good enough - don't need to go overboard...

If you are using windows then you probably want to start by using the command:
netstat -e
If you try that and you get no errors and discards, then using such the cable you are looking at is not going to improve anything.

And with DOCSIS 3.1, Jitter isn't that big of a deal, it's very constant over time

see below - constant PING to google...

pingtogoogle.png

Thank you for the replies.

So this "PCB Circuitry for improved near-end cross talk reduction", that's just a rubbish claim by them?

I had assumed that perhaps the ticker copper cable + this PCB on both Ethernet RJ45 Connectors might reduce jitter.

What's interesting is around 10 years ago we lived in a place that had multiple TV cable boxes connected to the house, alongside the internet, and when we were having jitter issues, the company came and installed something that looks like this (not sure if this is even the same thing, found it on Amazon). This ended up improving both TV boxes and our internet. It worked as an amplifier to the HFC cable.

I assume a HFC signal booster is useless as well right now (not this specifically, as this is a TV antenna booster or something, just the example for what it looked like)?

1697324057075.png

Thank you for the replies.

So this "PCB Circuitry for improved near-end cross talk reduction", that's just a rubbish claim by them?

I had assumed that perhaps the ticker copper cable + this PCB on both Ethernet RJ45 Connectors might reduce jitter.

What's interesting is around 10 years ago we lived in a place that had multiple TV cable boxes connected to the house, alongside the internet, and when we were having jitter issues, the company came and installed something that looks like this (not sure if this is even the same thing, found it on Amazon). This ended up improving both TV boxes and our internet. It worked as an amplifier to the HFC cable.

I assume a HFC signal booster is useless as well right now (not this specifically, as this is a TV antenna booster or something, just the example for what it looked like)?

View attachment 53656

Totally unrelated to your Ethernet cables. That just compensates for low signal from the street and can actually make your internet worse, especially upload, in order to make your TV better. When an amp is used it is best to bypass it for the modem.

If you see latency and jitter during peak times, your ISP is overloaded and there is nothing you can do other than switch ISPs if you have another option. If enough people complain the cable company may split the node but that's an uphill battle.

Hehe - that used to be the DSL thing against Cable Broadband...

Same argument now is being used by the CableCo's against 5G-FixedWirelessAccess.

Anyways - HFC is cable - and like I mentioned earlier, with DOCSIS 3.0 and later, it's never a problem on a properly dimensioned network.

DSL and Fiber - they're also shared bandwidth, just a step (perhaps) upstream - FTTN is shared across everyone that is on that node

DSL and Fiber - they're also shared bandwidth, just a step (perhaps) upstream

All internet access involves shared bandwidth at some step(s) along the way. The question is whether your ISP has provisioned their shared resources sufficiently to give you acceptable performance. If not, you can complain, or you can switch to another ISP. But replacing your local ethernet cables with gold-plated ones will do exactly nothing to alleviate a bottleneck that's in your ISP's infrastructure.

If your ISP is overloaded, you have two possible fixes:
- Change ISP
- Move

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!