What's new

How Would I Set Up MoCA (Noob Trying to Visualize Before I Buy)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbmpharmacist

Occasional Visitor
Well since WiFi and HomePlug 500 Mbps aren't cutting it in my house (both are too slow to stream blu-ray content), I'm looking into MoCA. The problem is that there isn't a lot of documentation about MoCA on the web in terms of how you set it up.

Below I have listed how I currently have things set up (in terms of my Internet and Coax jacks). I'm trying to get Internet into my basement so that I can either hook up an HTPC or a Media Streamer and stream 1080p video. Can some please tell me what equipment I'd need in order to make my setup work (MoCA adapters, splitters, etc?). Thank you in advance!

> = coax cable
* = Network cable
# = HDMI cable

Bedroom with cable modem
Coax outlet > Cable modem * Dlink Router * Desktop PC

Basement
Coax outlet > HD DVR # Receiver # HDTV

If you are trying to stream uncompressed 1080p Blu-ray, MoCA is probably your best shot, but it's not a guaranteed solution.

Your setup is pretty simple. You can look at this thread for an example diagram.

The main thing you need to do is find out how your coax outlets are connected. If it is via a passive splitter, then you need to make sure the splitter is rated to 2 GHz.

If you download the manual for the MoCA adapter you are thinking of buying, there will be connection diagrams there.

If you are trying to stream uncompressed 1080p Blu-ray, MoCA is probably your best shot, but it's not a guaranteed solution.

Your setup is pretty simple. You can look at this thread for an example diagram.

The main thing you need to do is find out how your coax outlets are connected. If it is via a passive splitter, then you need to make sure the splitter is rated to 2 GHz.

If you download the manual for the MoCA adapter you are thinking of buying, there will be connection diagrams there.

Thanks very helpful, thank you! I did try pulling manuals for some MoCA adapters but some of the MoCA adapters models listed for sale on Amazon aren't even listed on their company websites. I doubt that most people even know that MoCA exists.

Is there any particular MoCA adapter that you recommend? I was looking at the Actiontec one on Amazon as the user reviews seemed pretty good but I haven't made a decision. I usually base my decisions on Pro reviews (like your reviews on this site).

You are correct that consumer networking companies do a lousy job of promoting MoCA. Part of the reason is that it doesn't work with all coax systems (satellite, some digital cable) and they don't want the support hassle.
You're probably going to be limited to whichever model you can get. As you noted, they are tough to come by.

I didn't see any real performance difference among the three adapters I tested.
More MoCA: D-Link DXN-221 & Actiontec ECB2200 Reviewed

Ethernet from your TV Outlet: NETGEAR MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit Reviewed

You are correct that consumer networking companies do a lousy job of promoting MoCA. Part of the reason is that it doesn't work with all coax systems (satellite, some digital cable) and they don't want the support hassle.
You're probably going to be limited to whichever model you can get. As you noted, they are tough to come by.

I didn't see any real performance difference among the three adapters I tested.
More MoCA: D-Link DXN-221 & Actiontec ECB2200 Reviewed

Ethernet from your TV Outlet: NETGEAR MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit Reviewed

Thanks again!

I saw your post and had to comment since I just ordered some MOCA adapters to install into my cousin's house yesterday. If you go on eBay you can find the Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit (4 Adapters) for $150, that is what I bought and will get them in Tuesday. I went onto Amazon.com and was reading most of the reviews for these, very favorable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300643232473?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I'm praying these adapters will be plug and play, but I think my cousin's home (he has Comcast) has an amplifier and I have never messed around with splitters/diplexers/etc inside a cable box. So I posted an ad on Craigslist and have been talking to these 2 different cable/computer guys that are willing to come out and mess inside the cable box if need be to get these to work. So if I can't do it myself I'll just have to hire a cable guy.

If I can't get mine to work right, I'll probably just take some pictures of my cousin's cable box and somebody on here can tell me what to do maybe. If not, I'll have to bite the bullet and hire a cable guy or maybe I can call my cousin's provider (Comcast) and tell them they wired the house in a way that is preventing my MOCA network adapters from working and I'll get a free service call.....but that is probably doubtful.

Last edited:
I saw your post and had to comment since I just ordered some MOCA adapters to install into my cousin's house yesterday. If you go on eBay you can find the Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit (4 Adapters) for $150, that is what I bought and will get them in Tuesday. I went onto Amazon.com and was reading most of the reviews for these, very favorable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300643232473?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I'm praying these adapters will be plug and play, but I think my cousin's home (he has Comcast) has an amplifier and I have never messed around with splitters/diplexers/etc inside a cable box. So I posted an ad on Craigslist and have been talking to these 2 different cable/computer guys that are willing to come out and mess inside the cable box if need be to get these to work. So if I can't do it myself I'll just have to hire a cable guy.

If I can't get mine to work right, I'll probably just take some pictures of my cousin's cable box and somebody on here can tell me what to do maybe. If not, I'll have to bite the bullet and hire a cable guy or maybe I can call my cousin's provider (Comcast) and tell them they wired the house in a way that is preventing my MOCA network adapters from working and I'll get a free service call.....but that is probably doubtful.

Thanks for the reply. Let me know how it works out for you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!