What's new

I have an opportunity to buy this

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hextejas

New Around Here
Router.
Linksys WRT320N, Dual band, for $29.00

Router

Supposedly works perfectly.
I presently have a 2wire 3801HGV connected to ATT Internet and need better range.
I think I will be able to figure out how to use the 2wire as the modem only.

What do you think ?
I also would like to try my hand at DD-WRT

I read that lots of folks that are AT&T victims get their 2-wire device changed to bridge mode (you have to insist for an hour on the phone to 6 or more dolts).

Then they use some better WiFi router. That's an important choice.

Remember too that router placement, central/high/clear, helps a great deal. If the client device has a puny transmitter/lousy antenna, the router can't overcome that.

You may need an Access Point to improve coverage and speed, depending on the home's size, # floors, and the goodness of the client devices.

I read that lots of folks that are AT&T victims get their 2-wire device changed to bridge mode (you have to insist for an hour on the phone to 6 or more dolts).

Then they use some better WiFi router. That's an important choice.

Remember too that router placement, central/high/clear, helps a great deal. If the client device has a puny transmitter/lousy antenna, the router can't overcome that.

You may need an Access Point to improve coverage and speed, depending on the home's size, # floors, and the goodness of the client devices.

The placement of "high" always puzzled me since I thought that these beasts were mostly omnidirectional.
Router is on the 2nd floor with all the clients being on the 1st, within about 75' as the crow flies.
A few dry walls and stairwell in between.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!