What's new

I have had my fill of the XT8 ignoring the 5GHz-2 backhaul as an AiMesh node...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You talking about the F female to RJ45 Male coaxial adapters? If so no they break easily and I mean extremely easy. Moca’s yea can be pricey but evilbay you can get them on the cheap used with the power adapters my 2 ECB7250 2.5GB adapters were 125.00 out the door taxes and shipping
Was thinking of the MOCAs, I'd looked at them for our place, but I don't have any coax next to where my main XT8 is...

Anyway to run a coax near your main that’s possibly existing in the wall nearby?
We just got FTTP here in the garage, luckily enough I did some renos and can run CAT from the first floor through the 2nd and into the roof, but sadly (not sure where you're from, but I'm Australian...) doing so will leave me toasted in our current summer time heat...

Priorities. Max heat is still about 6 weeks out, ain't it? Seems like here at ~40 degrees North the min/max lag roughly that much behind shortest and longest days.

Priorities. Max heat is still about 6 weeks out, ain't it? Seems like here at ~40 degrees North the min/max lag roughly that much behind shortest and longest days.
"Storms" here so it's that dank wet all day than flash in the pan skud.
I bust out most reno stuff I'm doing in the morning but we have a west-facing garage door, and the teenager isn't awake until 11/12...

As I said in another XT8 post, I HIGHLY suspect the node dropout is a GUI issue, my NAS is wired to my 2nd-floor node, and the node "appears" offline but I can fully download from the NAS, same situation with my media server, no WiFi connected directly with another node, a same thing full stream from it even if it's offline.

Have you tried GNUTONS firmware on it I know Merlin doesn’t support XT8 both gnuton and Merlin’s stuff is rock solid but I know GNUTONS fork for the XT8 is really good it’s listed under its ID which is AX95Q which is what the XT8 is

Last edited:
I'll second that. Been using it on my XT8s - had near a year uptime when the power went out longer than the UPS could cover.

Awesome! GNUTONS fork has brought a lot of stability back to the XT8 to stop people from ripping there hair out with the wireless issues on stock ASUS firmware hopefully now you will have much better up times as well.

Does GNUTONS fork run on XT8 Ver2 routers?

We're running stock ASUS ver 3.0.0.4.388_23285 with one node. Had to reboot the system once after 65 days. That was after I had tweaked device icons and devices in the the network map stopped updating. Except for that, system has been pretty stable.

We are using 5GHz-2 backhaul and have SAMBA running with a SSD. Not a big load with just two of us in the house, but there are 40 IoT devices. Thinking more stability is a good thing :)

V2 is not supported yet but it’s in the works last I heard. Keep checking GNUTONS updates on it last mention of it if I remember right was in November

Did you even try without tri-band enabled, basically locking each band with different passwords.

I've done it as the robovac had trouble staying connected

Well it's been a bit and at least for my experience the GT-AX11000 Pro has been rock-solid as the AiMesh root (and I didn't pay full price as I got a previously-opened box on Amazon). None of the nodes have dipped below 5 GHz and, in fact, I would say it's almost too good. Basically everything I try to connect to the network goes to the root node and tend to ignore the satellite nodes (which includes my smart home devices -- which I would have hoped float to other nodes that they're closer to but -- oh well, they work). The only consistent things I connect through the satellite nodes are the things that are wired through them. I feel like I could have cut down on the number of AiMesh nodes given how crazy strong the AX11000 Pro signal is but, whatever, they're all in play so just keep rolling.

Gnuton Stable: 388.2_2_0-gnuton1 is currently running on my two v2 XT8 units that arrived today. Used the Asus Firmware Restoration utility to flash them, no problems noted so far.
Had to look and see if it was April 1st...

If gnuton found a way to create a single firmware image that would run on both then he ought to share it with Asus, who yet creates separate "version only" files.

I've got to ask whether you've actually succeeded or more likely after the third successive failed boot the previous firmware was failsafely reimplemented instead?

Had to look and see if it was April 1st...

If gnuton found a way to create a single firmware image that would run on both then he ought to share it with Asus, who yet creates separate "version only" files.

I've got to ask whether you've actually succeeded or more likely after the third successive failed boot the previous firmware was failsafely reimplemented instead?
I will gladly confirm after lunch!

Sadly, you are correct. :( It's running whatever came from the factory, 3.0.0.4.388_23012.

Last edited:
Well it's been a bit and at least for my experience the GT-AX11000 Pro has been rock-solid as the AiMesh root (and I didn't pay full price as I got a previously-opened box on Amazon). None of the nodes have dipped below 5 GHz and, in fact, I would say it's almost too good.
👍

I had the same problem with my XT8 mesh... week after week the backhaul will switch over to 2.4Ghz and stick there. I tried setting Roaming on the 5Ghz-2 off, but no use. Then I gave it some more thought ... and set Roaming back ON, and also setting 'Disconnect clients with RSSI lower than' -90 dBm. Did the trick for me. Wifi Analyzer app always showed the RSSI location at my extender node at -65dBm to -70dBm which is quite close to the default threshold setting of -80dBm, so I figured that if I set the threshold RSSI to some value which it'll never cross normally, only glitches will throw the backhaul back to 2.4Ghz. With the roaming on, the Mesh will periodically check for 5Ghz-2 signals and reconnect to it. Not sure if this is exactly how the roaming on Asus AIMesh works, but this setting certainly worked for me.

Over the last 2 weeks, I had encountered a couple of times when internet slowed, so I quickly logged in to the web admin interface to check. True enough, the the backhaul went to to 2.4Ghz, but after 2 or 3 minutes, it goes back to using 5Ghz-2 again. My 2 nodes are separated by a concrete wall and they are 12M away from each other. Give it a try and see if it works

Last edited:
I was fed up with my XT8 and bought the XT12 instead. I don't want the new Wifi 7 devices yet, I don't want to be an alpha tester for overpriced devices.

What I noticed with the XT12 is something that XT8 owners have been demanding for ages and which is still not in the software. That I can set the backhaul to 5Ghz-2 as the preferred transmission method.

Now the question is, why isn't it there? Even the GNU version doesn't have it and it wasn't stable for me either.

2024-01-05 14_16_22-ASUS Wireless Router ZenWiFi Pro XT12 - AiMesh und 84 weitere Seiten - Ges...png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!