What's new

I set Asus RT-AX86U to 160Mhz DFS channels 100-128 but overnight it jumped to 80MHz channels 149-161.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chatr

Occasional Visitor
I own an RT-AX86U. I live i Thailand where its FCC adopted from US-FCC. For 5GHz wifi there are channels 36-64, 100-128, 132-144 and 149-165 like in the US. There are 2 available 160Mhz channel sets: 36-64 and 100-128 which are DFS. In the web interfece, I set regoin to the US and its bandwidth fix to 160MHz with control channel fix to 128. I let the router on 24-hours a day but somehow on the 2 consecutive mornings, I found from the wifi analyzer that it switched itself to non-DFS channels 149-165 with bandwidth 80MHz while the RT-AX86U web interface is still show the setting of bandwith 160MHz with fix control channel 128. This is not good because the connection speed dropped from 2.4Mbps to 1.2Mbps.

Anyone please shed some light.

regoin.JPG

dfs.JPG

scanner.JPG

Attachments

• regoin.JPG
    regoin.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 280
Radar detected overnight? Would be interested in knowing how the Asus routers handle that occurrence.

From blog post elsewhere:
" In some solutions, APs that detect radar will move to channel 36 exclusively. In other solutions, APs will choose to move to any of the available non-DFS channels. Some will jump to any available 5GHz channel they find (DFS or non-DFS). Behaviour in this area seems to be inconsistent and is not defined within the 802.11 standard"

The house on the east of my house uses channels 36-64 and the house on the south uses 52-64 so the only least congested channels beside my AX86U current channels (100-128) are 145-161 which are the best choice for the moment.
20201003_204009.jpg

Last edited:
The house on the east of my house uses channels 36-64 and the house on the south uses 52-64 so the only least congested channels beside my AX86U current channels (100-128) are 145-161 which are the best choice for the moment.

When using channels 100-128, your service can be interrupted by radar signals (weather radar, etc). See here (link). I'm not saying this is your problem, but its a problem worth looking into, because it can result in your router switching to a different channel, even when you set the channel manually.

"A router supporting DFS has to scan for radar signals for at least 60 seconds before using a channel. It then must continuously look for radar during normal operation. If radar is detected, it must stop using the channel within 10 seconds and not attempt to use it again for at least 30 minutes.
These requirements can severely limit DFS' usefulness, particularly in areas with high radar activity."

Don't care much for Gundam but damn that's sexy with that paint job
I don't care much either. Only that they're limited edition. When GT-AXE11000 comes then I can resale it for a minimum lost.

Last edited: