What's new

i upgrade firmware my ac86u from 384.19 to 386.1_2. Now i cannot access asus router settings page.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amethyst

Occasional Visitor
I upgrade firmware my ac86u from 384.19 to 386.1_2. It keep load like forever, I pick the right firmware for my Asus router ac86u. I don't know how to access my router settings page after this. Please help. I'm not losing an internet connection. It just keeps loading whenever I try to access the router settings page.

Attachments

• aeradswfrasdrfasdr.png
    aeradswfrasdrfasdr.png
    435.6 KB · Views: 281
I upgrade firmware my ac86u from 384.19 to 386.1_2. It keep load like forever, I pick the right firmware for my Asus router ac86u. I don't know how to access my router settings page after this. Please help. I'm not losing an internet connection. It just keeps loading whenever I try to access the router settings page.
Did you factory reset after jumping from 384 to the 386 release , if not yuou must reset and don't reload a saved setting file.

By settings page do you mean the web interface? If so, read the 386 changelog. After flashing 386 firmware there is database maintenance that can take a couple of hours to complete before the web interface will be responsive again.

By settings page do you mean the web interface? If so, read the 386 changelog. After flashing 386 firmware there is database maintenance that can take a couple of hours to complete before the web interface will be responsive again.
I subscribe to what Jack said. If nothing changes, try a factory reset (use the reset button on the back), followed by manual reconfiguration.

Thank you Jack. After waiting for a few a hour. Finally, i’m be able to access the asus router web interface. I thought i had done something wrong on my router that i must be regret afterward.

Thank you Jack. After waiting for a few a hour. Finally, i’m be able to access the asus router web interface. I thought i had done something wrong on my router that i must be regret afterward.
Amethyst - I am about to embark on a 384.19 to 386.1_2 upgrade myself - questions for you:

1) After the upgrade -& without being able to access the Admin GUI - did you have any wifi performance degradation or issues?
2) I assume you did a dirty upgrade & didn't do a factory reset first - true?

Amethyst - I am about to embark on a 384.19 to 386.1_2 upgrade myself - questions for you:

1) After the upgrade -& without being able to access the Admin GUI - did you have any wifi performance degradation or issues?
2) I assume you did a dirty upgrade & didn't do a factory reset first - true?
1) i still have wireless and wire (ethenet) connection. It takes sometimes to access the web ui but my connection still working properly. It takes over 30 minutes or more, i don’t know because when it happen i have work to do outside the house. When i get back home, finally i’m be able to access the web ui.
2) i don’t factory reset my ac86u. I’m flasing new update on the “firmware update” section.

Hello

Popping in here for some guidance - I am currently on Merlin 384.15 with my RT-AC86U.

The router is totally stock in terms of tweaks or extras - I have done nothing but apply "merlins" since purchase two years ago at regular intervals.

Is there anything special I need to know before jumping from 384 up to 386?

Inside the firmware archive - I see this:

"Simply flash it like any regular update. You should not need to reset to factory defaults (see note below for exceptions).
You can revert back to an original Asus firmware at any time just by flashing a firmware downloaded from Asus's website."

FWIW - this is exactly what I have done for my most recent updates - simply flashed the router and watched it come back up.

Want to be sure I do not get myself in trouble here. Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sonic.

I upgraded yesterday my new AC86U from 384 stock to Merlin 386.1_2 like this: 384 stock -> latest 386 stock -> Merlin 386.1_2 with reset to factory afterwards. Worked flawlessly.

I upgraded yesterday my new AC86U from 384 stock to Merlin 386.1_2 like this: 384 stock -> latest 386 stock -> Merlin 386.1_2 with reset to factory afterwards. Worked flawlessly.

I have never done a factory reset after installing any Merlin release - I would think that would kill my current settings?

As all my other updates - hoping I can just login - import the new 386.1.2, reboot and carry on?

Or is a factory reset required (or recommended)?

Sonic.

Hello

Popping in here for some guidance - I am currently on Merlin 384.15 with my RT-AC86U.

The router is totally stock in terms of tweaks or extras - I have done nothing but apply "merlins" since purchase two years ago at regular intervals.

Is there anything special I need to know before jumping from 384 up to 386?

Inside the firmware archive - I see this:

"Simply flash it like any regular update. You should not need to reset to factory defaults (see note below for exceptions).
You can revert back to an original Asus firmware at any time just by flashing a firmware downloaded from Asus's website."

FWIW - this is exactly what I have done for my most recent updates - simply flashed the router and watched it come back up.

Want to be sure I do not get myself in trouble here. Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sonic.
I have also been 'stock' with Merlin on my RT-AC86U for about 4 years now.
This is the 3rd jump in versioning I believe for me.

Anyhow, did a dirty upgrade this past Saturday & didn't have to reset to stock.
My 61 clients are retaining their speeds &/or connections.
Except 4 buggy WeMo gen 1 switches & plugs that couldn't reconnect & had to be restored themselves to factory & reconnected manually - every other smart device had no problems attaching themselves again.
Speeds are as good if not better in some instances.
Coverage is matching at or a smidgen less than before but I think I can fine tune the GUI a little to a better channel.

That said I did follow this post to ensure that if I do have to reset after the update which was buggy - I would save myself some headaches & able to input all my desired features.

Good luck. Don't worry about resetting to default esp, if you are not fancy with scripts or plug-ins.

I'm currently in the middle of this where I updated my main router (Wireless Router mode) RT-AC68R and the web GUI is being unresponsive. At first, no wireless connection was available. I power cycled the router to see if wireless connection shows up. It does, but I prematurely power cycled again without realizing that 2.4 GHz was available but not the 5 GHz. After the second power cycle, both wireless bands are available, but the interface is still loading. So as someone said above, I'll wait until the database finish building. I updated a slave router and that went by quicker, almost as quick as any other Merlin firmware updates. So the waiting game continues... Update: It's available now. That was a short wait (less than 10 minutes).

In my opinion if any firmware locks you out of the UI then something is not right. This BS of waiting hours to use the UI how about find the reason why and fix it rather then accepting this as normal and clearly is not normal. I have owned many many routers and this never happened on any of them. And if it did that router would be gone.

reason why and fix it rather then accepting this as normal and clearly is not normal.

The fracking code is closed source, what do you expect me to do? Hand-edit the stupid file with a binary editor??? Read the stinking changelog that I take the time to write, and it will be fine. It was clearly documented - if you can't read, then it's on you.

The fracking code is closed source, what do you expect me to do? Hand-edit the stupid file with a binary editor??? Read the stinking changelog that I take the time to write, and it will be fine. It was clearly documented - if you can't read, then it's on you.

Clearly i can read. Thanks.

I did an upgrade from 384.19 to 386.1.2. The upgrade completed, then my Amazon Fire TV device could not connect at 5ghz, only 2.4 ghz. Then I started denying internet access to my security cameras and somehow my computers got blocked from the internet. I reverted back to 384.19 and things are back to normal.

Forgot to mention that I'm using a RT-AC3100.