What's new

iMac joining 5 GHz Network on AC-68R, but PHY still reads 802.11n instead of ac

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superkrups20056

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I am trying to get my iMac to work use the wireless A capabilities of my RT-AC68R. I created a separate channel SSID for the 5 GHz network and I hid the SSID to ensure no one else in the house is on the network but me. I set the network to wireless N + AC only (there is no wireless A only option) and set the channel to 80 MHz exclusively. Mousing over the network on my iMac confirms that it is a working 802.11ac network. However, when I connect to it, I hold down the option key and the PHY mode still reads 802.11n. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Router settings are set like this:

http://i.imgur.com/loVok0n.png

You are using the wireless A capabilities of the router and your client.

Connected to 5GHz band, channel 149 at an indicated 450 which indicates a three antenna design on the iMac.

There is nothing more to wish for. Unless you upgrade the client's wireless adaptor to AC class with at least two antenna.

Thank you. But why does it say 802.11n then?

802.11n is above 802.11a.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#802.11a_.28OFDM_Waveform.29

The 802.11a standard uses the same data link layer protocol and frame format as the original standard, but an OFDM based air interface (physical layer). It operates in the 5 GHz band with a maximum net data rate of 54 Mbit/s, plus error correction code, which yields realistic net achievable throughput in the mid-20 Mbit/s

You're on the 5GHz band but about 8x faster than the original 802.11a standard 450 vs. 54 Mbps.

Hi guys,

I am trying to get my iMac to work use the wireless A capabilities of my RT-AC68R. I created a separate channel SSID for the 5 GHz network and I hid the SSID to ensure no one else in the house is on the network but me. I set the network to wireless N + AC only (there is no wireless A only option) and set the channel to 80 MHz exclusively. Mousing over the network on my iMac confirms that it is a working 802.11ac network. However, when I connect to it, I hold down the option key and the PHY mode still reads 802.11n. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Router settings are set like this:

http://i.imgur.com/loVok0n.png

Just a thought, I found that when I set my wireless router 5 GHz channel to auto, my mac pro negotiates at lower speeds. However setting the control channel to some fixed free channel (153) and setting the extension channel to auto, WPA Encryption to AES, Authentication method wpa2-personal. I find the mac pro negotiates at 1053mbps and I get a throughput of 488mbps from a distance of 8 feet from the router. Hope that helps

I got slightly higher speeds by setting the channel bandwidth to 80Mgz, control channel to 40 and extension channel to auto. With this I got a link speeds of 1053/1300 and a throughput of 591/657 mbps btw a mac pro and a host on the LAN with a gig nic.

Last edited:
Thanks srinivasvaradaraj, will setting the control channel to 153 instead of auto affect the range? The iMac is literally downstairs in the basement. and the router is on the first floor, unlike your house. Thanks!

It shouldn't affect the range unless there is interference from other APs. You should be able find out this by something as simple as istumbler or an app for your phone. Best part is that changing channels or setting to auto is easily reversible unless firmware changes.