What's new

Intel 5300 Vs Atheros AR5008

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tilhasbb

Regular Contributor
I am in the process of upgrading my network to N. So I need to replace my Intel 3965 on two laptops to N cards.

After doing some research I narrowed down my choices to the Intel 5300 or The Atheros AR5008.

From my understand the Atheros has an advantage of having common chipset as most routers so it would run faster. But the Intel is a newer generation with support speeds up to 450Mbps.

One thing I was unable to verify which I find important is which cards disable 40 Mhz in 2.4Ghz mode.

Thanks in advance

I think either would be a good choice. I recently settled on the Intel 5300 as the standard SmallNetBuilder wireless test client. Unlike Intel's first-generation draft 11n 4965AGN, the 5300 (and 5100) do not lock out 40 MHz channel bandwidth in 2.4 GHz. 40 MHz is disabled by default in 2.4 GHz, but you can enable it in the adapter properties.

The D-Link DIR-655 A4 test that was just recently posted used the 5300 as the test client. It produced good results with the 655, which uses an Atheros radio.

Thanks!
Ordering 3x Intel 5300.

Since your the expert, I'll ask you one more question.
What router would you recommend in the following price ranges

200$? Linksys WRT610N
100$? Dlink DIR-655
70$? D-Link DIR-628