What's new

Recommend Router decent 5Ghz performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cohen87

Occasional Visitor
Dear Colleagues,
I have the older Asus N66U and AC66U routers which run too hot for my liking - I don’t want the hassle of usb fan modifications.
I have wireless N clients ( but laptops have AC cards in them - but none of my clients are Wi-Fi 6 ). Although I will consider a Wi-Fi 6 AX Router. My budget is $50 /60 dollars.
These are my requirements for my next router:
1) Preferably good thermal design - doesn’t run hot
2) Decent 5Ghz performance ( over 2.4Ghz performance)
3) Separate SSID’s for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels.
4) Preferably Broadcom chipset
5) Preferably wireless router only (no modem)
Thanks guys.

Your budget is not realistic in today's economy. Either save up or increase it/wait for sales.

RT-AX68U.

I would buy a separate wired router and at least 1 wireless AP. More APs if you live in a house.

You can use an old PC with pfsense and a Cisco 150ax wireless AP. Cost is low as the Cisco AP is $102 the last time I bought one and of course pfsense is free you just need a NIC with 2 ports. Intel will be the best choice.

Thank you for the suggestions, but I don’t mind buying used.
After some searching on the internet, a few older but more ‘reliable’ (in regards to firmware) have popped up, within my price bracket:
1) Tp Link Archer C8 / C9 - both have dual band wireless N ( 5Ghz ). Use as access point only.
2) Tp Link AX73 - decent 5Ghz performance - but a significant number of users talk about dropouts and restarts and overheating. A poster on the internet said there is a hardware version that doesn’t suffer these problems, but did not mention which version?.

My budget is $50 /60 dollars.

Nothing better AX-class than entry-level TP-Link Archer AX10 fits in this budget.

We had this conversation before:

Nothing much changed in few months. The budget is still too low for a good home router.

I would say the Cisco 150ax wireless APs would be better in all ways compared to the TP-Link.

Since none of your clients have wifi6 and your budget is limited, why are you looking for a WiFi6 router and not a wifi5 that are cheaper and more than enough for home use?

Since none of your clients have wifi6 and your budget is limited, why are you looking for a WiFi6 router and not a wifi5 that are cheaper and more than enough for home use?
Dear Christos, good point. I can understand some members future proofing for Wi-Fi 6, but it’s way beyond my budget and I don’t have those clients yet.
Can you recommend a Wi-Fi 5 (AC) access point/ router only that runs cool, has great 5Ghz performance and that I can connect directly to my fibre modem via Ethernet cable?.
I’ve looked on the internet and Zyxel, Engenius appear to get good reviews.
I’ve probably jumped the gun a bit, as I’m assuming you can put multiple SSID’s for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on an access point?.
Thanks

TP-Link Archer C80 is a basic AC Wave 2 router with good Wi-Fi range. It's around $50 usually.

It has 3x3 radios, Gigabit ports, Access Point mode in GUI and is listed as OneMesh compatible.

TP-Link Archer C80 is a basic AC Wave 2 router with good Wi-Fi range. It's around $50 usually.

It has 3x3 radios, Gigabit ports, Access Point mode in GUI and is listed as OneMesh compatible.

And probably no longer being supported. TP-Link has very poor lasting support for there routers.

As soon as you replace a laptop or phone you are going to have Wi-Fi 6 as they have been out for at least a couple years. I don't think you can slow it down and freeze at Wi-Fi 5 AC. To me it is a bad plan, but everybody gets to decide their own. I don't us an all-in-one any way because you have to upgrade the whole unit when you want say newer Wi-Fi. If you are going to use Wi-Fi 5 then run separates and only upgrade the Wi-Fi in the future.
Plus I don't think 1 AP is enough unless you live in a tiny apartment.

Thanks for the recommendation.
The C80 has a mediatek chipset. I am willing to increase the budget to $100.
Is there a Broadcom based router only with 3*3 radios / Wave 2 / AC that has excellent 5Ghz performance? - one that comes to mind is the Tp-Link VR2800.

This is a second conversation going nowhere. I can’t help you further.