What's new

IPTV and IGMP Snooping on Asus RT-N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eclipsed

New Around Here
I have been lurking this forum and others for the past couple of weeks.
I have an ASUS RT-N16, and hooked up to Telus IPTV to my network.
The (4) TVs work great, but the WIFI takes a nose dive when I stream HD channels. Looking at the problem, and reading all I can, it seems the WLAN is being flooded by Multicast. The answer is to filter the multicast packets from the WIFI either by etables, or IGMP snooping.

Is the RT-N16 capable of doing IGMP snooping? Or can etables be defined thru the GUI command screen with Merlin's Asus-WRT? If so, can someone please enlighten me as to how?

TIA

Last edited:
The firmware does support ebtables, however I have never played with it, so I can't point you at what you could try to fix this. Sorry.

Did you see if the "Wireless Multicast Forwarding" option under Wireless -> Professional would help you?

I have tried disabling Wireless Multicast Forwarding in the Wireless - Professional screen but i click "apply" the setting does not take.
The only way I can disable WMF is to set the Multicast Rate to Disable at the same time, and then none of my WIFI clients can connect.
The current settings under Wireless Professional are
Multicast Rate : 5.5
Preamble Type: Auto
RTS Threshold: 2347
DTIM Interval: 1
Beacon Interval: 100
Enable TX Burstin: Enable
WMF: Enable
Enable WMM APSD: Enable
Enhanced interference management: Disable

I really appreciate the feedback.

Can anyone confirm the interface name for the WIFI of the RTN16?
I am trying the following in the ebtables.
ebtables -A FORWARD -o "eth1" --pkttype-type multicast -j DROP
ebtables -A OUTPUT -o "eth1" --pkttype-type multicast -j DROP

You can confirm the setting with this command:
# ebtables -L

Last edited:
Positive Results.
By inputting the above ebtable lines using the System command GUI, I have seen some positive results.
I am testing now. I have (3) HD streams going. ~2070KB/s downloading and am able to stream video from my Synology DS212 with no major issues. My wife's ipad, my Samsung Galaxy tab can search the internet with no lags. I will continue testing.

So a new question. Will I need to input the ebtables after every reboot of the RTN16 to get these results. IF yes, what I can I do to make the effect happen every time the router or wifi service is re-started? Or can this be an option that RMerlin can incorporate as an "Other Setting"?

Last edited:
Positive Results.
By inputting the above ebtable lines using the System command GUI, I have seen some positive results.
I am testing now. I have (3) HD streams going. ~2070KB/s downloading and am able to stream video from my Synology DS212 with no major issues. My wife's ipad, my Samsung Galaxy tab can search the internet with no lags. I will continue testing.

So a new question. Will I need to input the ebtables after every reboot of the RTN16 to get these results. IF yes, what I can I do to make the effect happen every time the router or wifi service is re-started? Or can this be an option that RMerlin can incorporate as an "Other Setting"?

Create a user script, and enter those lines in a firewall-start script, for example.

Thanks for the idea! But i cannot find a clear answer as how to create a script on the RT N16. I know where to put it, I know what it has to state but I don't know how to get it on the unit. Can I just vi a e jffs/scripts/firewall-start.sh file then chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*?

Use vi if you are familiar with it (and note there is no .sh extension to those scripts), or create it on a PC and copy it using a USB disk if you prefer.