What's new

is a USB 2.0 flash drive fast enough for use with asuswrt-merlin + add ons?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@ColinTaylor, that guide was accurate 3 1/2 years ago. Later posts I've made state to try/test using USB 3.0 mode to see if it works in specific circumstances (and more current routers than was then available).

The information I have aggregated into my guides is just what I've collected from these forums themselves. No need to attack this particular member with your shading. I thought you were above that.

take any information from that particular member with a huge pinch of salt

I actually just had a really dumb "Argument" with him in another thread. The thread about Backing up settings he said there was no reason to backup settings because doing an M&M install is so easy. I tried to explain how those aren't even close to the same thing but he just kept insisting I was missing some ethereal point that he refused to explain.

there have been compatibility issues reported with certain enclosures in USB3 mode. In those cases switching to USB2 made the device work, albeit at reduced speed
Well mine seems to be working fine. Personally I don't really care about the speed loss so much so if USB 2 is more reliable or stable I'm happy to use it. I was just concerned because I've seen that specified multiple times. But with no information as to why I don't know if it's important to me or not. As it stands it seems to be working fine, guess I got a non-issue enclosure

Problem is It won't run as USB 2, even though it's connected to the USB 2 Port not the USB 3 Port.
Is it because it's an SSD not a thumbdrive? It is fully powered by the USB Port So I'm not sure.
This one had me going for a while. :) I think the issue is that where the drop down list says "USB 3.0" that is the device description field returned by the enclosure. Normally it would say something more obvious like "SANDISK ULTRA_FIT". It's just an unfortunate coincidence the router uses the exact same text for labels in the GUI. So it's not really running as USB3, that's just the name of the enclosure.

Last edited:
This one had me going for a while. :) I think the issue is that where the drop down list says "USB 3.0" that is device description field returned by the enclosure. Normally it would say something more obvious like "SANDISK ULTRA_FIT". It's just an unfortunate coincidence the router uses the exact same text for labels in the GUI. So it's not really running as USB3, that's just the name of the enclosure.
Yep - this baffled the heck out of me months or years ago... I threw a couple of snap-on ferrite beads on the usb cable and never looked back... 3.0 never messed with 2.4 on x88 or x86 boxes...

The banner on 'Network Map > USB' lists the speed of the enclosure (guessing) - or whatever the hell asus thinks it is... whereas the dropdown is the ssd's reporting mfg ID (an Intel SS DSC2CW180A3 which I had laying around)...

but if I remember correctly the banner certainly doesn't report the speed of the router's interface set by 'Administration > System > USB Mode' when I was messing with it... maybe that changed...

oddly that the asus 'pop-up?' for USB Mode still states 3.0 speed 'may' cause 2.4 interference... whatever - it's a toy... it works this week... next week, who knows?...

Last edited:
So it's not really running as USB3, that's just the name of the enclosure
That totally makes sense. Thinking about it when I formatted it it's default name was "USB3" it's a cheap generic part & one with the annoying old USB3 mini connector, so that makes sense, thanks.

The banner on 'Network Map > USB' lists the speed of the enclosure (guessing)
I'm not sure what banner you are talking about. I'm not seeing anything with speeds

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>...
I'm not sure what banner you are talking about. I'm not seeing anything with speeds
you posted a pic of it several messages back... from the "Network Map" page... yours listed USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 as banners with USB 2.0 highlighted (active) - and the drop down showing USB 3.0 (name of your ssd or enclosure or whatever asus calls it)...

you posted a pic of it several messages back..
Oh. I didn't think of that as a banner. The device has 2 USB ports, 1 is a USB3 the other a USB2. They don't change when the device connected changes or when the Admin > System > USB Mode is set to USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 so I feel those are more like Static Port Labels
images_TechSupportArticlePix_8193Image1.jpg

Last edited:
The device has 2 USB ports, 1 is a USB3 the other a USB2. They don't change when the device connected changes or when the Admin > System > USB Mode is set to USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 so I feel those are more like Static Port Labels
If I remember right the option USB Mode only affects the USB 3.0 port (at least on an RT-AC68U). The USB 2.0 port is not affected by that setting. There are a number of past discussions on that setting and why its used.
https://www.google.com/search?q=asus+router+"usb+mode"+site:www.snbforums.com

The wording in the highlighted yellow drop down box fields in the screen capture below display the USB device name not their actual speed. So if you are seeing "USB 3.0" in that field then either the USB device is named that or the router is assigning that name to it.
USBAsusRT-AC68U.jpg

Everyone has their own opinions on what types of USB devices to use or not use and why when it comes to using a USB storage device in the USB port the router provides. You can search for many past discussions on the types of USB devices to use and the many anecdotal experiences with those devices. There may be various possible ways to deal with the USB 3.0/2.4Ghz interference issue and the USB heat issue some experience if it is an issue in your particular setup.

One can always experiment with their setup when using USB 3.0 devices attached to the router's USB 3.0 port to see if they need to adjust the USB Mode setting on those routers which have that option available to mitigate any interference that may be present.

There may be various possible ways to deal with the USB 3.0/2.4Ghz interference issue and the USB heat issue some experience if it is an issue in your particular setup
It's fine. I was concerned because I was using the USB2 port but it was saying USB3 I didn't think about it being the name. Had I had something plugged into the other port I probably would have noticed it. Once I realized that it's all good. I could try out the drive in the USB3 port, but I don't see a reason to really. Plus I will use the USB3 port for internet through my phone when I have connection or over-limit issues, so I'd prefer to not use it anyway. Thanks for the link & the info in any case.

My Entware usb flash drive died a few weeks ago and I replaced it with one of the cheapest sticks found from the local computer store. The new stick is Kingston DataTraveler Exodia 32 GB USB 3.2. And yes, I know, it is not premium quality (and possibly will die pretty soon) and it is not among the fastest ones. Write speed approx. 16 MB/s, Read 90 MB/s when tested with Windows 10 computer usb 3.0 connector. But it is not the slowest drive I have used during the last 10 years or so.

Anyway, I use the stick with my home router. And I am away from my home a lot. So I don't necessarily keep my router ON or Online 24/7 while I am away. I just turn it OFF when I leave. This of course means that flash drives are not cleanly unmounted when the router is powered off. But normally having Disk check (script) enabled from amtm and running it after every cold boot repairs the drives.

But with this Kingston I have a problem with cold boots. After every cold boot when I normally go to amtm to check the Disk check script log and for script updates I see this message:

Code:
 No swap file found, reference removed in
 /jffs/scripts/post-mount

And e.g. Diversion is not running (1 from amtm missing).

Now, if I warm reboot the router from amtm j3 scMerlin (r. Reboot router), I normally get the router up and running normally. But as you can see, after the second boot amtm shows these messages:

Getting from fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net
- Module diversion.mod downloaded
- Module entware.mod downloaded
- Module pixelserv-tls.mod downloaded

Code:
amtm 3.3 FW               by thelonelycoder
 RT-AC68U (armv7l) FW-386.7 @ 192.168.1.1
    The Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

1  open     Diversion                 v4.3.2
 2  open     Skynet                    v7.2.8

8  open     nsrum                    v30.4.0

j1 open     connmon                   v3.0.2
 j3 open     scMerlin                  v2.4.0

j5 open     uiDivStats                v3.0.2

j7 open     YazDHCP                   v1.0.4

ep manage   Entware packages

em open     email settings
 dc manage   Disk check script   dcl show log
 fd run      Format disk         fdl show log
 lc manage   LED control  LED off
 sw manage   Swap file /mnt/ASUS_ENTWARE 2.0G

i  show     all available scripts or tools
 u  check    for script updates

amtm options
 e  exit      t  theme   r  reset   a  about

Getting from fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net
 - Module diversion.mod downloaded
 - Module entware.mod downloaded
 - Module pixelserv-tls.mod downloaded

Seems that the Swap File won't be ready soon enough (?) after a cold boot? Or what do you think?

Is there anything I can do?

I tested the Kingston with both usb connectors of my router and it did not change anything. Setting the router usb 3.0 connector "USB Mode" to 3.0 or 2.0 doesn't change anything either.

@Diamond67 Perhaps it's best if you create a new thread for your particular problem as this thread is getting very far removed from the original subject.

Is your drive formatted with journaling on?

Also, at 25 cents per kwh my router costs $18/year to run all the time.

Is your drive formatted with journaling on?

Also, at 25 cents per kwh my router costs $18/year to run all the time.

Ext2.

It's not the power consumption question alone. Why keep my router connected to internet and vulnerable to attacks etc. if nobody else uses it but attackers? :p

Try Ext4 journalled (recommended)

I have a tiny problem with that. I need my Entware stick named "ASUS_ENTWARE". That is 12 characters. But with the Format disk of amtm 11 characters are the maximum. So I have formatted the sticks using third-party format tools which allow 12 characters. But sticks formatted to Ext4 (with third-party format tools) seem to be not compatible with my Asus router and Ext4 sticks fail to mount.

:p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!