What's new

USB Flash Drive Size for Diversion and Skynet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

talon_262

Occasional Visitor
As the thread title says, I'm running Skynet and Diversion on my AC56U (soon to be a AC86U) and I'm looking for the best USB flash drive size to use with Diversion and Skynet. I'm using a 16GB ADATA USB3 flash drive temporarily and performance seems OK, but it sticks out more than I'd like from the back of the router, so I'm planning on getting one of the small SanDisk drives like the Ultra Fit (of which I already have a few; I have a 16GB and a 32GB laying around free, but both are USB2); right now with Skynet and Diversion installed and a 2GB swapfile for Skynet, the 16GB ADATA isn't even 2.5GB full.

Is a 16GB flash drive sufficient for the long-term, do I want/need more, and, on these routers, is USB3 that much of a speed boost over USB2 for Diversion and Skynet?

Is a 16GB flash drive sufficient for the long-term, do I want/need more, and, on these routers, is USB3 that much of a speed boost over USB2 for Diversion and Skynet?
This is plenty big for Diversion, Skynet and any other script you can install from here.
Even future Diversion visual improvements will not add much to that.
Go for quality, not size.

what's important is write speed, shielding (usb3:5g interference)
I think you mean 2.4G interference with USB3.0, there is none with 5G!

is USB3 that much of a speed boost over USB2 for Diversion and Skynet?
USB2.0 is enough to hold your scripts and swap file, you wont see anything faster in USB3.0 port for your need. Only makes huge problems if not set to USB2.0 mode.
And better to use a little adapter cable to reduce heat on memory stick.

I think you mean 2.4G interference with USB3.0

i always get confused with this stuff.

so if i use a usb3 stick in the front port of my ac3100
i should set it to usb2 mode so it does not interfere
with my 2.4g wifi?

i always get confused with this stuff.

so if i use a usb3 stick in the front port of my ac3100
i should set it to usb2 mode so it does not interfere
with my 2.4g wifi?
Yes. Here is my guideline for using USB drives on these Asus routers (tag @Raoul)
- USB Flash/Stick: always force it work in USB 2.0 mode - either by plugging into USB 2.0 port, or plugging into USB 3.0 port & set that port to USB 2.0 mode. (Reason: most of the time a USB Flash/Stick on USB 3.0 can't survive after a reboot and it'll take some weird steps to have it detected again)
- USB HDD: work fine on USB 3.0 port, hence USB 3.0 is preferred. However, to avoid interference, buy some long extension cable. 1.5m-2m (5-6ft) is fine.

Last edited:
Hi loveleeyoungae, what do you mean exactly with "weird steps"?

Regards and thanks in advance.
1. Turn off and unplug the USB stick
2. Turn on the router
3. After the router has booted up, plug the USB stick.

That is the only way. If you still have the USB stick plugged, any other reboot/power cycle is useless.

Just to add some perspective..I use a 512MB stick..with Entware, Diversion, pixelserv, Skynet, dnscrypt, plus a 256MB swap file. All works fine and dandy.

Just to add some perspective..I use a 512MB stick..with Entware, Diversion, pixelserv, Skynet, dnscrypt, plus a 256MB swap file. All works fine and dandy.
Oh, its hard to find a 512MB stick these these days, so it must have been some old brand? I wonder how fast it is. If its slow, I'm afraid it would gradually make your router slow.
EDIT: in case you may not know, try the iozone app by kvic to test your usb speed
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/entware-which-usb-stick-performs-well.48188/

Last edited:
1. Turn off and unplug the USB stick
2. Turn on the router
3. After the router has booted up, plug the USB stick.

That is the only way. If you still have the USB stick plugged, any other reboot/power cycle is useless.
Thanks! I had 2 dead Samsung mini 128gb usb3 flash sticks after power outages, both were plugged into usb3 port (AC87U). I tried everything to bring them to life but to no success. Guess it was a desing flaw (maybe they just can't stand 24/7/). Been runing a Sandisk for 6 months, with a few power outgaes in between, with no issues so far (fingers crossed)

Regards!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!