What's new

Is my RT-N66U faulty?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redpants

Regular Contributor
Hi everybody,

I need your help! I love this router it's giving me great speeds on 5ghz when its working but it keeps kicking my laptop out once in a while. :(

Operation Mode: Wireless router
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.220
(Static ip with no modem fiber 100mbit/100mbit)

The router is running N mode only with 2.4ghz connection (xbox,smartphone) working flawless no issues whatsoever but the 5ghz connection keeps dropping sporadically! The router is two weeks old and the laptop is 3 years old.

Im running inssider and it says the router is up and running on 5ghz while vista 32bit says it cant connect to the AP / or that it lost the connection to the router. And the 5ghz LED on the router is functioning as normal. On my laptop i'm running Intel WiFi Link 5100 with the latest driver. Distance between router and laptop 2-3meters (10feet?) with a free line of sight. Inssider says -39 RSSI. Running WPA2-AES. I've tried various settings for the 5ghz,, 20mhz,,,20/40, auto channel select / manual, Tx Power adjustment etc.. vista says i'm connected to the router @ 150-300mbit it fluctuates. I've scanned for 5ghz networks and i'm the only one running 5ghz but the 2.4ghz frequency is crowded (ironic!).

Oh and another thing, whenever i reboot the router it resets the system time to Sat, Jan 01 01:00:00 2011 ... so i go to Time Zone settings and notice how its configured properly but the correct system time will only be displayed when i press apply. This isn't normal is it? If it remembers that the time zone is GMT +1 then why does it insist on making system time Sat, Jan 01 01:00:00 2011 after every reboot/power-off?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Time: that's normal. This router has no battery-backed clock in it, so every time it reboots, it needs to connect to the Internet, and set its clock based on the time received from an NTP server. So it can take a minute or two for the router to set its clock. Check System Logs for entries mentionning "ntp".

For Wifi, I think I read another report of issues related to the Intel 5100 card in the past, but I forgot in the end if he resolved it by upgrading the drivers, or by replacing the card. Try doing a search on this forum for "5100".

Personally I use an Intel Centrino 6230 in my laptop, it's rock stable.

Hi everybody,

I need your help! I love this router it's giving me great speeds on 5ghz when its working but it keeps kicking my laptop out once in a while. :(

Operation Mode: Wireless router
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.220
(Static ip with no modem fiber 100mbit/100mbit)

The router is running N mode only with 2.4ghz connection (xbox,smartphone) working flawless no issues whatsoever but the 5ghz connection keeps dropping sporadically! The router is two weeks old and the laptop is 3 years old.

Im running inssider and it says the router is up and running on 5ghz while vista 32bit says it cant connect to the AP / or that it lost the connection to the router. And the 5ghz LED on the router is functioning as normal. On my laptop i'm running Intel WiFi Link 5100 with the latest driver. Distance between router and laptop 2-3meters (10feet?) with a free line of sight. Inssider says -39 RSSI. Running WPA2-AES. I've tried various settings for the 5ghz,, 20mhz,,,20/40, auto channel select / manual, Tx Power adjustment etc.. vista says i'm connected to the router @ 150-300mbit it fluctuates. I've scanned for 5ghz networks and i'm the only one running 5ghz but the 2.4ghz frequency is crowded (ironic!).

Oh and another thing, whenever i reboot the router it resets the system time to Sat, Jan 01 01:00:00 2011 ... so i go to Time Zone settings and notice how its configured properly but the correct system time will only be displayed when i press apply. This isn't normal is it? If it remembers that the time zone is GMT +1 then why does it insist on making system time Sat, Jan 01 01:00:00 2011 after every reboot/power-off?

Any help would be much appreciated :)
I like to use a custom NTP server and select the manual adjustment for daylight savings here in the US. The NTP server I use is close by to me on the west coast. As for your connectivity issues I would try clearing the NVRAM and reconfiguring. You can back up your settings to a file and then restore them after you clear the NVRAM. I prefer using telnet to erase the NVRAM but you can also do it by holding the WPS button while powering the router on. The power LED will blink rapidly indicating that the NVRAM has been cleared and you can then reconfigure your router. If that doesn't work I would reflash the router clearing the NVRAM after flashing and then reconfiguring. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply guys :)

I'm suspecting that my wifi NIC is acting up. I managed to get the connection to be a bit more stable by fiddling with the (RTS/CTS) setting. When I changed it from 'CTS-to-self' to 'RTS/CTS' I managed to get 2 days without a single connection drop! :eek:

I ordered a new laptop that will come with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235. Hoping that it will be running smoothly with the router unlike my current laptop!

Ps. Connection dropped for the first time in 2 days as I was writing this,,scary!

My Intel 6230 (the previous generation) works great with this router.

Do you always connect @ 300 Mbps? Which firmware and wireless settings do you use?

Whenever I checked it was 300, but I do sit in the same room. 5 GHz has very limited range, so it should no doubt drop below 300 as soon I were to go in a different room.

I'm using my own firmware, as listed in the signature. :) My settings are pretty much the defaults for 5GHz, including leaving channel on Auto (since I have zero 5 GHz neighbours anyway).

Driver is whichever was the latest when I installed the card a few months ago.

There's a chance that there could be a problem with your antennas. If you upgraded the card yourself, make sure they are both properly connected.

I'm using Bigfoot killer wireless n 1130 on 5ghz band and i never exprience a conection drop. Not even once. Rock solid link on 450mbit (19-21 mb/s on LAN and full 100mbit/s internet speed).

Galaxy S3 i Tapatalk