What's new

Is there a way to get 802.11ac on a mid-2011 iMac 21.5?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
My main workstation is a mid-2001 iMac dual core i7 and I would love to be able to use 802.11ac on it.

However, it doesn't have USB 3.0 ports.

It looks like my only option would be to get a Thunderbolt to USB3.0 adapter and then get a USB 3.0 wifi dongle. I have yet to find any Thunderbolt wifi dongles so I'm not sure what else I can do.

My main workstation is a mid-2001 iMac dual core i7 and I would love to be able to use 802.11ac on it.

However, it doesn't have USB 3.0 ports.

It looks like my only option would be to get a Thunderbolt to USB3.0 adapter and then get a USB 3.0 wifi dongle. I have yet to find any Thunderbolt wifi dongles so I'm not sure what else I can do.

Not much difference in performance for WiFi between USB2 and USB3... and most USB 11ac dongles are two stream (AC867) - your iMac has a three stream N450 adapter - so performance may be a wash in any event.

Might consider using an ethernet bridge instead... there, you can get the full AC experience.

sfx

Not much difference in performance for WiFi between USB2 and USB3... and most USB 11ac dongles are two stream (AC867) - your iMac has a three stream N450 adapter - so performance may be a wash in any event.

Might consider using an ethernet bridge instead... there, you can get the full AC experience.

sfx

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!