What's new

Is there any way to get dual band to work correctly?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dav3

Occasional Visitor
Ive had issues with dual band wifi on this routed (ax-82u) since I've owned it. I'm not sure if this is just a problem with dual band in general or if I've done something wrong. I have a lot of connectivity issues when in dual band mode, particularity with 2.4ghz devices. They don't stay connected, have connection issues or just won't connect at all. Like our home security panel constantly say it's disconnected from wifi, the google home won't even connect etc.

I'm running Gnuton's firmware but I had this issue with the stock firmware also. My settings are fairly stock. The only thing I've changed for the wireless settings is putting 2.4 on channel 1(auto defaulted to 4).

Is there anything I can do to get it working like it should?

You might try these settings for your 2.4 wireless settings.
I am running a RT-AX88U Pro and Merlin Firmware, so these settings may not be applicable to your setup.
However, it is worth a try.
Good Luck.

Attachments

• 23-12-01-2.4-Wireless-Setting-1.jpg
    23-12-01-2.4-Wireless-Setting-1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 23-12-01-2.4-Wireless-Pro-Setting-1.jpg
    23-12-01-2.4-Wireless-Pro-Setting-1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 129
Ive had issues with dual band wifi on this routed (ax-82u) since I've owned it. I'm not sure if this is just a problem with dual band in general or if I've done something wrong. I have a lot of connectivity issues when in dual band mode, particularity with 2.4ghz devices. They don't stay connected, have connection issues or just won't connect at all. Like our home security panel constantly say it's disconnected from wifi, the google home won't even connect etc.

I'm running Gnuton's firmware but I had this issue with the stock firmware also. My settings are fairly stock. The only thing I've changed for the wireless settings is putting 2.4 on channel 1(auto defaulted to 4).

Is there anything I can do to get it working like it should?
No.
Use split ssid or be prepared to glitches/problems/failures

Hmm....
Must be hardware specific.
I am running DualBand with the same SSID and a IoT net with a seperate SSID that is very stable.
That said, it took several months of tinkering to get stability, but it works for me.
The OP may want to see if there are firmware updates for the devices that are troublesome.

You might try these settings for your 2.4 wireless settings.
I am running a RT-AX88U Pro and Merlin Firmware, so these settings may not be applicable to your setup.
However, it is worth a try.
Good Luck.
Bob, that almost worked! I was able to connect the google home finally and most devies work but for some reason now my dorbell and pet feeder camera's don't connect.

If I may, can you tell me what DNS service you are using, and does your UI version have "DNS Director"?

I had AdGuard set up as the DNS but it honestly doesn't seem to do anything so I'll probably change it back to auto.

Where would I find the UI version? The firmware is just the latest stable Gnuton release.

The pet feeder actually connected after I reset it. The only thing not working now is the doorbell camera but that's always been a problem, I think it doesn't get a very good signal being mounted over top of aluminum siding.

This is where we are going to diverge. I am running AsusWRT-Merlin 3004.388.4_0 firmware.
In my UI the DNS Director is located in:
LAN > DNS Director tab.

Sir,
Here is what I had to do to my "Problem Child" Doorbell to get it to connect reliably.
I opened DNS Director and set the MAC address for the doorbell to use CloudFlare DNS at 1.0.0.2. That helped that device until they reciently updated their firmware.
If your current DNS provider's responses are faster than CloudFlare, then experiment with other services and try them.
Obviously, this is not a garunteed cure but may help.
Also, after each of these changes, you should reboot the whole mesh system and let it "Settle" for an hour or so before making more changes.
Good Luck

I'm not sure if this is just a problem with dual band

Problem with Smart Connect. Not very smart, just some connect. Use separate SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. The experience will improve.

Last edited:
Problem with Smart Connect. Not very smart, just some connect. Use separate SSID's for 2.5GHz and 5GHz bands. The experience will improve.

Yeah, the issue with SmartConnect is that it assumes all devices are dual-band, which isn't the case....

One can run common SSID, just disable SmartConnect and things should work...

Asus routers come with Roaming Assistant enabled by default at -70dBm to make things... better. It happens to work in single router configuration on some firmware versions and disconnects clients with no alternative AP to connect to. On this RGB hardware with beta firmware - SC and RA disable.

Thanks folks, I think I'll just give smartconnect the boot, like many of you say. Doesn't sound like it was ever ready for prime time, hate it when companies push broken features.

Thanks folks, I think I'll just give smartconnect the boot, like many of you say. Doesn't sound like it was ever ready for prime time, hate it when companies push broken features.
It's only a gimmick, never works the right way: some devices refuse to connect, others stick to one and only one band...

In my situation, Smart Connect works well. I found that when the "master" router is allowed to automatically search for the best channel, the router induced channel switches "Confused" my IoT devices.

By setting a manual channel and bandwidth on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and allowing Smart Connect to manage my mobile devices, my system is quite stable.

Again, what works for me may not work for your circumstance.

Cheers!

It works for at least one more person on SNB Forums and with Auto channel on top. Strange things happen sometimes. 🤪

So I disabled smart connect but my IoT devices are still not staying connected properly. I'm going to try some of the settings changes from that article. Are there any other changes I can make that might help?

Last edited:
So I disabled smart connect but my IoT devices are still not staying connected properly. Smart bulbs only sometimes work, security panel still says it's disconnected frequently etc.

Are there any settings I can tweak to try to fix this?
See post 10