What's new

Is this a fake AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asusguy

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to buy a used AC68U off Ebay. The front picture does not state "RT-AC68U Dual Band" next to the Asus logo. Instead it reads "AC1900 Dual Band." Is that suspicious? The seller sent me also a back picture and the back picture looks legit. Mind you this is a European seller, so not sure if ASUS varies some of the writings on their front panel. The back reads the the router was made in Taiwan and below is written ASUS Computer GmbH Ratingen, Germany

front_ac68U.jpg ac68U_back.jpg ScreenShot099.png

front_ac68U.jpg
ac68U_back.jpg
ScreenShot099.png

Last edited:
I am trying to buy a used AC68U off Ebay. The front picture does not state "RT-AC68U Dual Band" next to the Asus logo. Instead it reads "AC1900 Dual Band." Is that suspicious? The seller sent me also a back picture and the back picture looks legit. Mind you this is a European seller, so not sure if ASUS varies some of the writings on their front panel. The back reads the the router was made in Taiwan and below is written ASUS Computer GmbH Ratingen, Germany

View attachment 18283 View attachment 18284 View attachment 18285

View attachment 18283 View attachment 18284View attachment 18285
It's a TM AC 1900 if it is its not supported

Not a TM model , it looks perfectly okay to me. Compare the images at ASUS.com or ASUS UK

Could be, but how is this different than AC68U then?
Actually, looking at wikidevi I don't think it's the same.

The important part is the MSQ-RTAC68U on the label. And also on the white label where it says F/W Ver and H/W Ver. What does that say?

Actually, looking at wikidevi I don't think it's the same.

The important part is the MSQ-RTAC68U on the label. And also on the white label where it says F/W Ver and H/W Ver. What does that say?

On the white label in the photo I have there are 3 things:
- SN
- MAC
- PIN NO

There is no mention of F/W Ver or H/W Ver. Perhaps that info is only on the packaging box?

There is no mention of F/W Ver or H/W Ver. Perhaps that info is only on the packaging box?
On my router that information is on the router label as well as the box. I think the recent products also have the year of manufacture. The point is, it should be OK provided it's not a TM model, and those were made a long time ago and shipped with a very old firmware version (3.0.0.4.376).

From its FCC ID and the model number on the back you can tell that it is a RT-AC68U. It may just have different labels on the front for marketing purposes.

It may just have different labels on the front for marketing purposes.
I think that's the case. I pretty sure when I was looking to buy my router I came across the same labelling in some stores. Also, in the picture in post number #1 the user manual clearly says RT-AC68U.

FWIW the back of that router looks almost identical to mine. Also, Asus' routers are made in China (it says so at the top). The Taiwan reference is to Asus' Headquarters, and the Germany reference is to their European distribution.

temp.jpg

Ya, kindof sortof. The FCC ID is for the radio module testing/certification. In general, so long as that is a complete "drop in" unit (physically or design wise) then the product using it doesn't require new testing/certification. All that tells me is that ASUS certified a "module" under that moniker and that "module" is used in that router. I've seen this across the industry, including ASUS.

If you're that concerned, walk away. My bet is the photo you shared is of a 68.

Note the FCC ID in each picture. One is a 68, one is a TM.
20190618_081658 (2).jpg
20190618_081644 (2).jpg
From its FCC ID and the model number on the back you can tell that it is a RT-AC68U. It may just have different labels on the front for marketing purposes.

Last edited:
Ya, kindof sortof. The FCC ID is for the radio module testing/certification. In general, so long as that is a complete "drop in" unit (physically or design wise) then the product using it doesn't require new testing/certification. All that tells me is that ASUS certified a "module" under that moniker and that "module" is used in that router. I've seen this across the industry, including ASUS.

ASUS did not request or receive Modular Approval for MSQ-RTAC68U. There aren't any interchangeable modules in this device.

there is no discussion, truly an Asus RT-AC68U, some are branded as AC1900, no difference!

TM has only been in US, never on European market (different power plugs)!!!
And they are all branded with magenta coloured TM logo.

Same for RT-AC86U, mine has been named as RT-AC2900, exactly same thing.

Last edited:
Have lok here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-rt-ac68p-rt-ac1900-rt-ac1900p.35759/#post-291762
These are photo's of my router bought in 2016.
The first post of that thread gives an overview of similarities and difference in the different RTAC68 and AC-1900 models.
We all know that there exists many hardware revisions of RT-AC68U, with slightly newer chips as the old ones wont be produced anymore 6 years later.
But they all together have one common thing, exactly same firmware, bit by bit!!!
So even an RT-AC66U_B1 is the same, only in a different housing and one missing USB-port or 2.4G-turbo quam (no 2.4 client would use).
Most differences has been seen on RT-AC68P, with more different chipset and single problems (or different behavior/bugs/incompatibility) only seen on them.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!