1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Is this a fake AC68U

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by asusguy, Jun 18, 2019.

1. asusguy

asusguy Occasional Visitor

I am trying to buy a used AC68U off Ebay. The front picture does not state "RT-AC68U Dual Band" next to the Asus logo. Instead it reads "AC1900 Dual Band." Is that suspicious? The seller sent me also a back picture and the back picture looks legit. Mind you this is a European seller, so not sure if ASUS varies some of the writings on their front panel. The back reads the the router was made in Taiwan and below is written ASUS Computer GmbH Ratingen, Germany

front_ac68U.jpg ac68U_back.jpg ScreenShot099.png

front_ac68U.jpg ac68U_back.jpg ScreenShot099.png

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Frankflash

Frankflash Regular Contributor

It's a TM AC 1900 if it is its not supported

3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

4. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

Not a TM model , it looks perfectly okay to me. Compare the images at ASUS.com or ASUS UK

5. asusguy

Could be, but how is this different than AC68U then?

6. asusguy

I just did - US and UK site's images are the same -- all showing only "RT-AC68U Dual Band" writing.

On the German site, among the regular images, there is also a white version which shows "AC1900 Dual Band" writing: https://www.asus.com/de/Networking/RTAC68U/gallery/

7. ColinTaylor

Actually, looking at wikidevi I don't think it's the same.

The important part is the MSQ-RTAC68U on the label. And also on the white label where it says F/W Ver and H/W Ver. What does that say?

8. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

9. asusguy

On the white label in the photo I have there are 3 things:
    - SN
    - MAC
    - PIN NO

There is no mention of F/W Ver or H/W Ver. Perhaps that info is only on the packaging box?

10. asusguy

11. ColinTaylor

On my router that information is on the router label as well as the box. I think the recent products also have the year of manufacture. The point is, it should be OK provided it's not a TM model, and those were made a long time ago and shipped with a very old firmware version (3.0.0.4.376).

12. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

From its FCC ID and the model number on the back you can tell that it is a RT-AC68U. It may just have different labels on the front for marketing purposes.

13. ColinTaylor

I think that's the case. I pretty sure when I was looking to buy my router I came across the same labelling in some stores. Also, in the picture in post number #1 the user manual clearly says RT-AC68U.

14. ColinTaylor

FWIW the back of that router looks almost identical to mine. Also, Asus' routers are made in China (it says so at the top). The Taiwan reference is to Asus' Headquarters, and the Germany reference is to their European distribution.

temp.jpg

asusguy likes this.
  15. Smokindog

Smokindog Regular Contributor

Ya, kindof sortof. The FCC ID is for the radio module testing/certification. In general, so long as that is a complete "drop in" unit (physically or design wise) then the product using it doesn't require new testing/certification. All that tells me is that ASUS certified a "module" under that moniker and that "module" is used in that router. I've seen this across the industry, including ASUS.

If you're that concerned, walk away. My bet is the photo you shared is of a 68.

Note the FCC ID in each picture. One is a 68, one is a TM.
    20190618_081658 (2).jpg 20190618_081644 (2).jpg

16. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

ASUS did not request or receive Modular Approval for MSQ-RTAC68U. There aren't any interchangeable modules in this device.

17. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

there is no discussion, truly an Asus RT-AC68U, some are branded as AC1900, no difference!

TM has only been in US, never on European market (different power plugs)!!!
    And they are all branded with magenta coloured TM logo.

Same for RT-AC86U, mine has been named as RT-AC2900, exactly same thing.

Internet Man likes this.
  18. Smokindog

Smokindog Regular Contributor

They don't have to be interchangeable, just "drop in" on the design. People really need to step back and understand this.

19. wouterv

wouterv Very Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    asusguy likes this.
  20. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

We all know that there exists many hardware revisions of RT-AC68U, with slightly newer chips as the old ones wont be produced anymore 6 years later.
    But they all together have one common thing, exactly same firmware, bit by bit!!!
    So even an RT-AC66U_B1 is the same, only in a different housing and one missing USB-port or 2.4G-turbo quam (no 2.4 client would use).
    Most differences has been seen on RT-AC68P, with more different chipset and single problems (or different behavior/bugs/incompatibility) only seen on them.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019