What's new

Is this Client listing normal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sparky456

New Around Here
When I click on “View List” of my 1 year old bone stock ASUS RT-AC68U router operating in “Wireless Router” mode I see an “ASUS router RT-AC68U” listed connected to my regular 2.4GHz interface. The “Client IP address” is 192.168.1.82 which I can’t find anywhere on my network or other places on my router. The Client MAC Address is not the MAC address for my router’s LAN, 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz MAC interfaces.

Is this normal or do I have a neighbor stealing my WiFi with an identical router operating as an Access Point?

In the past I did share my 2.4G Guest password with a neighbor for a short time but this seems to be connected to my regular, non-Guest, 2.4GHz interface that has a different password. Changing this non-Guest password does not change the Client listing of this unknown router.

Otherwise the router works fine. I only have one RT-AC68U router.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?

Last edited:
This really looks like an other router wireless connected to your wifi as Media Bridge.
In the Client list you can't see the difference if a client is connected to the "main" SSID or a Guest network.
Have you already disabled or changed the Guest network?

Yes, I changed the Guest password and it didn't go away but when I changed the regular 2.4GHz password it went away for a few minutes and then returned. I think maybe my all the passwords associated with this router may have been hacked. I'm changing my regular 2.4GHz password again to see what happens and then I'll change all passwords and names including the administration name and password. Note that this is not currently the default.

Thanks.

I'll change all passwords and names including the administration name and password. Note that this is not currently the default.

When you are doing this be sure that your router is disconnected from the Internet and your WiFi radios are off. Make the changes reboot then you can go back on line.

When you are doing this be sure that your router is disconnected from the Internet and your WiFi radios are off. Make the changes reboot then you can go back on line.
is the router on the latest firmware? If not, do update!
Next I suggest to revert to Factory default and check the Intialize all the settings... before you click Restore:

upload_2020-6-28_17-38-32.png

Then manual enter your settings and chose a totally new Router Login Name and Password and new SSID's and WPA2-Personal passphrases.
Do not enable Telnet nor SSH, specially not to the WAN.
And do not enable Web Access from WAN.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!