What's new

ISP Failover on R9000 running voxel custom firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pauldh

New Around Here
Hey there,

Looking for some advise on what the "most sane" approach to an ISP failover on an Netgear R9000 router running the voxel firmware is, I have something that works but it's prone to some issues.

My local ISP allows us to connect to their public wifi hotspots and I want to use it as a secondary internet path for when the primary goes down. I've failed over a few times "manually" and it works.

I don't require the use of the hotspot functionality on the R9000 and been successful in scripting an internet probe test, failing over, etc.. but then rolled it back a month ago or so because it was out of the box and simple adjustments in the gui messes things up in the cli

I run the following at startup in order to be able to make use of the wireless interface and place it into client mode and unbridge it from the rest of the lan interfaces. Is there anyway to control any of the below functionality by adjusting nvram values or adjustments in the gui?

# kill the hotspot functionality
killall hostapd
killall hostapd_cli

# turn off the ath0 interface so I can unbridge it
ip link set ath0 down

# remove interface ath0 from the bridge "br0"
brctl delif br0 ath0

# destroy old wifi config and create new placing ath0 in station mode
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

# bring up the ath0 interface
ip link set ath0 up

# Establish wifi connectivity
wpa_supplicant -B -P /var/run/wifi-ath0.pid -D athr -i ath0 -c /tmp/mnt/sde1/wpa_supplicant-ath0.conf

# dhcp client functionality is handled in this below script, it "watches" for a connect or disconnect event and stores values in the nvram
wpa_cli -p /var/run/wpa_supplicant-ath0 -a /tmp/mnt/sde1/wifi_ath0.sh -B

# In the failover script, the following needs to be run in order to "fix" the internet connectivity depending on which connection is active. Even adjusting that in such a way where both interfaces are "fixed" would be a nice improvement.
/usr/sbin/net-wall -w ath0 restart

I suggest you post this in a more proper forum area to het help and correct attention: NETGEAR Wireless : NETGEAR AC Wireless
Hey there,

Looking for some advise on what the "most sane" approach to an ISP failover on an Netgear R9000 router running the voxel firmware is, I have something that works but it's prone to some issues.

My local ISP allows us to connect to their public wifi hotspots and I want to use it as a secondary internet path for when the primary goes down. I've failed over a few times "manually" and it works.

I don't require the use of the hotspot functionality on the R9000 and been successful in scripting an internet probe test, failing over, etc.. but then rolled it back a month ago or so because it was out of the box and simple adjustments in the gui messes things up in the cli

I run the following at startup in order to be able to make use of the wireless interface and place it into client mode and unbridge it from the rest of the lan interfaces. Is there anyway to control any of the below functionality by adjusting nvram values or adjustments in the gui?

# kill the hotspot functionality
killall hostapd
killall hostapd_cli

# turn off the ath0 interface so I can unbridge it
ip link set ath0 down

# remove interface ath0 from the bridge "br0"
brctl delif br0 ath0

# destroy old wifi config and create new placing ath0 in station mode
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

# bring up the ath0 interface
ip link set ath0 up

# Establish wifi connectivity
wpa_supplicant -B -P /var/run/wifi-ath0.pid -D athr -i ath0 -c /tmp/mnt/sde1/wpa_supplicant-ath0.conf

# dhcp client functionality is handled in this below script, it "watches" for a connect or disconnect event and stores values in the nvram
wpa_cli -p /var/run/wpa_supplicant-ath0 -a /tmp/mnt/sde1/wifi_ath0.sh -B

# In the failover script, the following needs to be run in order to "fix" the internet connectivity depending on which connection is active. Even adjusting that in such a way where both interfaces are "fixed" would be a nice improvement.
/usr/sbin/net-wall -w ath0 restart

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!