What's new

Issue getting dsl-ac68u connected with internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

B21playa

New Around Here
Hi all

With talktalk and purchased the asus so I could scrap isp modem and setup a mesh network.

Problem I’m having is after connecting phone line to router and going through quick internet setup, it always say dsl line is down yet the same cable work with isp modem.

I’ve upgraded firmware to the latest and still no luck.

Any advice?

If the DSL is not syncing it’s probably because the cable wrong. There are 2 kinds of RJ11 wiring. Use the one that came with the router.
If the DSL is up, but PPP is down you need to get your username/password from the TalkTalk router (google how to, various guides).

I use a BT Openreach Huawei modem with RT Asus router with TalkTalk. Mainly as I wanted to run Merlin firmware as it’s so much better than stock Asus, Merlin is not supported on DSL embedded Asus routers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the DSL is not syncing it’s probably because the cable wrong. There are 2 kinds of RJ11 wiring. Use the one that came with the router.
If the DSL is up, but PPP is down you need to get your username/password from the TalkTalk router (google how to, various guides).

I use a BT Openreach Huawei modem with RT Asus router with TalkTalk. Mainly as I wanted to run Merlin firmware as it’s so much better than stock Asus, Merlin is not supported on DSL embedded Asus routers though.

Hi

Didn't realise there were 2 different types of Rj11 cable. I haven't got one with the asus as it was 2nd hand as I already had a rt-ac68u. Which type do I need and I'll buy another cable?

Many thanks

Honestly I’d just get a BT Openreach modem and connect to the RT. They are designed to work with the DSLAM in the cabinet so will be better than the DSL router you’ve just got. They are also plug and play!
The DSL router you can then use as the Mesh Node.

As for the correct cable. Some are cross wired and some are straight. You definitely want one with twisted pairs as well for signal quality.

Read this https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...sl-fttc-broadband-via-twisted-pair-cable.html

Amazon will sell what you want, just inspect your existing cable to see how it’s wired and get the opposite.

Make no difference, same technology. Just your DSLAM is in the exchange not the cabinet.

Ah right. Thanks for that

Didn't really want to buy another modem. Just wanted cable plugged into the dsl asus and the other is already setup as a node. Will try another cable to see f that helps

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!