What's new

Weird issue with AC1200 router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wiebob

New Around Here
I'd been having problems with one of the wireless connections dropping repeatedly, so tried to log into the router. At the login screen, apparently the username and/or password were incorrect, so after several attempts, I performed a hard reset of the router. This seemed to go just fine, and as I'm typing this here, I'm clearly back online, able to visit multiple websites. But the weird part is that I can no longer reach the router's login screen. I used the 192.168.50.1 default ip address, as well as the Asus http address to get there, but both to no avail. It just repeatedly pops up a message stating that the site can't be reached.
Edited to add that I'm using an ethernet connection for this, not wireless, if that matters.
Any ideas, I'm stumped...?

I believe with that router the ip is 192.168.1.1

Welcome to the forums @Wiebob.

What IP does your wired PC have? What is its gateway? Use the latter to connect to your router.

Welcome to the forums @Wiebob.

What IP does your wired PC have? What is its gateway? Use the latter to connect to your router.
Well, my PC's IP address shouldn't have anything to do with accessing the router, but ipconfig showed the one issued by my ISP. As for the gateway address, I got that too, but as expected, it came back with the same result, page cannot be displayed. I've worked with computers on and off for a long time now, and this is a new and weird one for me. :(

Well, my PC's IP address shouldn't have anything to do with accessing the router, but ipconfig showed the one issued by my ISP.
It sounds like you have your internet connection plugged into one of the Asus' LAN ports instead of it's WAN port.

I'd been having problems with one of the wireless connections dropping repeatedly, so tried to log into the router. At the login screen, apparently the username and/or password were incorrect, so after several attempts, I performed a hard reset of the router. This seemed to go just fine, and as I'm typing this here, I'm clearly back online, able to visit multiple websites. But the weird part is that I can no longer reach the router's login screen. I used the 192.168.50.1 default ip address, as well as the Asus http address to get there, but both to no avail. It just repeatedly pops up a message stating that the site can't be reached.
Edited to add that I'm using an ethernet connection for this, not wireless, if that matters.
Are you using an ISP router(modem) too?

It sounds like you have your internet connection plugged into one of the Asus' LAN ports instead of it's WAN port.
LOL, no, it's connected correctly. It was never disconnected, and I can browse online just fine. This comment is being typed on the network in question. ;)

Okay, well, this is kind of embarrassing. Seeing as how I was online, it never occurred to me to go back and look at the router again. As it turns out, even though I was clearly online, the router showed only one flashing light, rather than the several it usually has. Powering it off and back on brought all the lights back on, and I was able to get back into the router with no problems. Thank you for the suggestions, they in part prodded me to go and physically check out the modem. :D

Well, my PC's IP address shouldn't have anything to do with accessing the router, but ipconfig showed the one issued by my ISP. As for the gateway address, I got that too, but as expected, it came back with the same result, page cannot be displayed. I've worked with computers on and off for a long time now, and this is a new and weird one for me. :(

For future reference, yes it does.

Your PC's IP address indicates what IP range the router is working on. The gateway to that is usually your router and that is the address you should be typing to try to access it.

Haven't seen your issue (ever?) before here. Glad you figured it out.

For future reference, yes it does.

Your PC's IP address indicates what IP range the router is working on. The gateway to that is usually your router and that is the address you should be typing to try to access it.

Haven't seen your issue (ever?) before here. Glad you figured it out.
Well now, it appears you are indeed correct. LOL, but in my defence, when I used ipconfig to get that info initially, it displayed completely different information than what it's showing now. After powering it on and off, the gateway address does indeed now show 192.168.50.1, whereas prior to that, it showed a non-192 address (I think it started with 247). Thank you for your help... ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!