What's new

[ISSUE] RT-AC88U Merlin 386.7_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LePetitZizi

New Around Here
Hi,

I've just got a new router which is the AC88U. The first thing I did was to upgrade it to Merlin.

Since that day every time I reload the router, I completely lose internet connectivity but only from the LAN. The router can still ping and DNS the outside.
The only solution so far is to reset the router and reconfigure it. I've tried restoring the config but no luck. Nothing in the logs either.

Is it a known bug or something wrong here ?

Thanks for your help !

Welcome to the forums @LePetitZizi.

Are you using LAN ports 5-8 on the router?

How are you resetting the router? How do you reconfigure it? What options/features and scripts do you use on it? What kind of USB devices do you have connected to it?

With a proper reset and configuration, there are no issues for those routers/firmware. Particularly when not using LAN Ports 5-8 on them.

Welcome to the forums @LePetitZizi.

Are you using LAN ports 5-8 on the router?

How are you resetting the router? How do you reconfigure it? What options/features and scripts do you use on it? What kind of USB devices do you have connected to it?

With a proper reset and configuration, there are no issues for those routers/firmware. Particularly when not using LAN Ports 5-8 on them.
Hi LD,
Thanks for the greeting and for the help !

I'm only using the WAN and LAN1 ports. I have a manageable switch behind it.

I've only used the GUI reset feature. What is the proper reset method you're referring to ? Reflashing an image in tftp ?

I'm just using the open NAT and DHCP server features. No scripts, no USB devices.

Also, why are ports 5 to 8 specifically causing problems ? What kind ?

Cheers !

Last edited:
Also, why are ports 5 to 8 specifically causing problems ? What kind ?

Many people have reported that lan ports 5-8 die for some unknown reason on the AC88U. So it's best to just avoid even using them.

Asus suggests the following (be sure you check the specific method for your particular model).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

As your router doesn't seem to be in a good/known state, I would reset it multiple times (via the Reset Button, the suggested GUI method in my link above, and the WPS Button methods), and also re-flash the firmware you want to use too (this simple step has brought back many routers from the dead).

Asus routers with 8 ports have been proven problematic for many people here on the forums. The problems range from the obvious to the obscure (please use Better Search at the top of the page to search for those issues if you want). That is why I asked if you're using them first.

The RT-AC88U has been one of the routers that need a 'nuclear' reset more often than others, ime. Hope it fixes your issues too.

Asus suggests the following (be sure you check the specific method for your particular model).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

As your router doesn't seem to be in a good/known state, I would reset it multiple times (via the Reset Button, the suggested GUI method in my link above, and the WPS Button methods), and also re-flash the firmware you want to use too (this simple step has brought back many routers from the dead).

Asus routers with 8 ports have been proven problematic for many people here on the forums. The problems range from the obvious to the obscure (please use Better Search at the top of the page to search for those issues if you want). That is why I asked if you're using them first.

The RT-AC88U has been one of the routers that need a 'nuclear' reset more often than others, ime. Hope it fixes your issues too.
Thanks a lot for all that !

I didn't expect this router to be that hardheaded

I'll nuclear hard reset it and report back here.

You may also find the following link useful too (particularly the last two paragraphs).