What's new

Issue with Parental Control - Time Scheduling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just to add to this. Android and iPhones can now randomise their MAC address every time they connect to a network. This means dishing out a new IP and the said device will not be scheduled anymore.

I'm now looking at other solutions what will work.
Randomized MACs are good for the privacy of the owner of a roaming device, but I don't see any advantage for that behavior on my home network. It seems like more of a likely source of security problems.

Here's a naive idea: Consumer router/base-stations are probably mostly run in two kinds of contexts: either all the client devices are known (knowable) in advance, or it's necessary to support dynamic on-demand connection of new devices, like in a coffee shop. My home is the first context. I've got about 50 wifi-connected devices but they don't change very often. Ignoring for a moment difficulties in initial device setup, I think I'd prefer to allow only devices with known MACs to connect to the LAN and any non-guest WIFI network. That would reduce problems with MAC spoofing to evade filtering and make it harder for unwanted visitors to penetrate.

Why would a preregistered-MACs-only mode of operation not be a good idea?

Just to add to this. Android and iPhones can now randomise their MAC address every time they connect to a network. This means dishing out a new IP and the said device will not be scheduled anymore.

I'm now looking at other solutions what will work.
I'm getting desperate for a solution that supports more than 16 clients!!! That is pitifully low. And if I start using the blacklist filter, I can only have 32 devices total. Please post your solution.

I came from Gargoyle firmware where it was a breeze to implement these things and posted similar questions at the following URL, but I was given the round around

You can use MAC filtering / whitelisting to ensure the IP sticks to the device, although when I tried it on my end it seemed to slow things down considerably.

I was and still am pissed off with the 16 device limit and I am confident the GUI just updates a configuration file on the router. Most likely the 16 device limit can be bypassed if someone knew what configuration file needs to be updated.

Anyone knows what configuration file relates to parental control time-based scheduling? We could ssh into the router and manually maintain the configuration file

I will connect a second router for the kids and add the 2nd router's MAC to 1st router's time schedule. That will overcome the randomised MAC filter issue hopefully.