What's new

Issues with latest Blue Cave firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Honestly, I haven’t contacted ASUS for any of the issues with this router. SNB forums has more help, lol. Or I should say, I prefer reading for 45 minutes and seeing the jokes that people crack from time to time as opposed to me being on the phone with a representative, whom for whatever reason often appear to be new at the job. However, this is just from my past experience with technical support in general, that really gets me rattled, three to four phone calls later and I continue have to retell my story ; and I’ve restarted my router so many times because I believe their troubleshooting steps includes a restart, even if you have called several times. So far, the only thing this thing keeps bugging me with is its temperature, it’s hot especially during the summer days. But hey it’s worked well for two years, so maybe it likes the heat or it’s about to go kaput any moment now.

I am surprised this doesn't have more coverage. I also had to revert after updating and tearing my hair out for a couple of days.

Have you guys contacted ASUS? How do you go about reporting?

I am not brave enough to install the chinese merlin...

The Chinese Merlin is based on the Asus firmware with added features, it's based on Merlin (I appreciate the author's effort, but he shouldn't hijack the Merlin name).
So, if there is problem with Asus firmware, it will likely be still there.

Recently upgraded factory firmware to latest firmware and came to same conclusion as you guys. Can confirm that WAN does not come up after a reboot (either scheduled or manually initiated via GUI). First went into the procedure of resetting modem/router combo, but recently discovered that easiest way is entering GUI and toggle green WAN on/off switch in the GUI. One toggle will return WAN connection. It remains troublesome though. Would recommend anyone to file Feedback via GUI > Administration > Feedback tab. The more filings ASUS receives, the faster they might act.

I am surprised this doesn't have more coverage. I also had to revert after updating and tearing my hair out for a couple of days.

Have you guys contacted ASUS? How do you go about reporting?

I am not brave enough to install the chinese merlin...
Do it via the web GUI: Administration > Feedback tab

I have filed. WAN bug has hit me since last 2 FW releases. I also included the fact the built in FW update mechanism now says it cant connect

I had two times to replaced that router as it overheated and freezes after I turned on QoS. I am trying to get a refund not and bought:
GL.iNet GL-B1300, flushed openWRT, and to be honest never look back on any customer grade router again. That software is just killing, it is not that difficult to set up and is doing exactly what I wanted. That hardware is kind of new to me and yeah wifi is not that strong as with monsters antennas but it is covering my whole house. I do not need wifi to be seen 100m from my home. Speed is good on Alan I am getting locally to NAS 900Mbps, wifi 400Mbps, my internet is only 50/20Mbps so that is it. 1/3 of the price and job have done.

I did feedback via:
Do it via the web GUI: Administration > Feedback tab as well, ASUS customer service is very intermittent, difficult to get one. I really struggled and as far as I liked the Asus brand after that traumatic nearly experience with the router I am less convenient to them.

When is support for this router expected to stop? This thing does heat up. I bought a fan and put it behind it as some people on antoher snb forum have suggested. I am not sure if performance is better, it feels slightly better, but the bottom line, is that now I am not worried it will over heat. I've seen other ASUS routers that overheat and see vendors on Amazon selling, custom made kits for cooling. Is the new trend to buy a router and the consumer is expected to purchase additional cooling equipment? Way back, about 7 or so years ago, my devices did not get nearly as warm and I paid very little attention to it's maintenance. Now it seems, I am working for the device and instead of the device working for me.

I have filed. WAN bug has hit me since last 2 FW releases. I also included the fact the built in FW update mechanism now says it cant connect

New firmware was just released, maybe it will fix the WAN reconnect bug!

I don't know myself since I run mine in AP mode so it's working fine anyways :)

I am not sure what Asus did but they upgraded in the firmware and then broke something along the way. Since, I don’t have auto restarts, once I get it going I leave the router as is. However, it is a troublesome when I have restart both of my router & modem, and troubleshoot them to get them in sync to work.

New firmware is out 9.0.0.4.386.41994 and hopefully the WAN reconnect bug is fixed!

The release online says this version is a Beta. Would it be taking a risk on the router? Thanks

No, I've flashed many Asus beta firmwares, they're all beta in fact :)

I flashed it and so far so good, but like I said I'm in AP mode ...

Has anyone tried the Beta 386.41994 (actually 384.46629) release on their Blue Cave in router mode? Is the reboot issue fixed? Is it as stable as 384.45708?

Hi Guys..... Jumping onto this thread a bit late....but just registered.
Been using a Blue Cave in router mode (on firmware 384_46468) wired from my internet suppliers router and everything appears working flawlessly!
The app is responsive and can even wol my Synology NAS box externally from the app.
I’ve moved from the complexities of a merlin based 68U to the blue cave for ease as we’ve downscaled the business and happily moved to the Blue Cave.
I usually give it a reboot every other day but other than that?
All appears stable !

Meanwhile version 3.0.0.4.384.46630 has been released.

'full' details from ASUS:

Version 3.0.0.4.384.46630
2021/05/14 33.05 MBytes
ASUS Blue Cave Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.46630
Fixed the app login issue with iOS 14.5.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 9fba22765147d959944a52c29ba9626c

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!