What's new

Issues with mapping DS207+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Frequentflyer

New Around Here
I got my DS207+ setup tonight and I'm having problems mapping the drive. It seems to be giving me the same problem my Central Axis was giving me, so I'm under the assumption this is a Windows issue and not the drive. The Synology setup was quite simple and everything seemed to go smoothly following the Synology instructions/software. I have the drives setup in RAID1 and I updated to the latest Firmware. I currently have two wired desktops on the network connected to a D-Link 2205 "green" gigabit switch. One desktop is running Vista 64 and the other is running XP SP3. With both desktops and the DiskStation assigned to the same workgroup, I cannot see either the DS or the XP machine on the Vista machine. However, I can see the DiskStation on the XP machine (but can't see the Vista machine on the XP machine). I really don't care if I can share files amongst the desktops, but I do care about being able to see the DiskStation from the Vista machine, as that is my primary computer. I cannot figure out why I'm seeing it on the XP machine and not the Vista machine, which is the one I installed the Synology software on. I can connect to the DS via internet explorer through the Vista machine and the Synology Assistant shows the drive. I currently have it set to a static address vs. DHCP. I created a shared folder on the drive after it sync'd the RAID1 setup and when I go to map it on the Vista machine it tells me it cannot connect to the server. On the Vista machine, all it shows in the workgroup is itself and the router, that's it. Any thoughts?

Frequentflyer:
Have you tried to use Synology Assitant to map drive ? or you just using "\\DiskStation\share" in the Windows Explorer ?

Frequentflyer:
Have you tried to use Synology Assitant to map drive ? or you just using "\\DiskStation\share" in the Windows Explorer ?

I tried using both the Assistant and Explorer and can't map using either. However, when I open the Assistant, it is showing the drive with IP number and I can log in as admin to adjust settings, so the drive seems connected properly. Vista just isn't showing the drive in the workgroup. When I try to map the drive through explorer, the only device it shows in the network when I browse is the Vista desktop. There's no drive showing to map. I had this same problem with my Maxtor Central Axis and I wound up returning it because I thought it was the drive.

Last edited:
If you're going to map a NAS share as a drive, assign the NAS a static IP and map using its IP address. If that won't work, try pinging it first.

But shouldn't the Assistant software show the available shares and give me the option to map them? There is a map drive option in the Assistant, but unfortunately it gives me the "unable to connect" error.

Have you tried accessing the DS207+ using the IP address? Also it could be a authentication problem.

00Roush

Yes, I've tried mapping a share with IP address (\\192.168.1.10\photo) and it says unable to connect.

My issue is very similar to the one in this thread over at the Synology forums:

http://www.synology.com/enu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3715&sid=5de523c396c3ade7b7e89b9f72d179c8

I've tried everything in that thread and nothing helps. Most people think it's a firewall issue, but I've turned Windows firewall off with no luck.

I can't imagine why this is so difficult to figure out. I've got a Buffalo station at work that I sent up in an office intranet and I don't remember it being this difficult. Of course those machines are running XP. I don't have too much experience with Vista and it's proving to be a pain in the arse. BTW, I can ping the NAS through Vista cmd prompt with success.

Last edited:
I remember having similar trouble connecting to my server when I first setup Vista. I don't remember for sure if I was running Ubuntu or Win XP at the time though. From what I recall it had to do with some of the authentication settings or connection signing settings. I can't remember for sure what I did to fix it.

Try changing the NTLM authentication settings in Vista.

Open up the Local Security Policy
Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy

Then open the Security Options folder
Local Policies\Security Options

Scroll down to the Policy named "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it. Change it to Send LM & NTLM responses.

This might help but if it does not make sure to change it back to its original setting. Oh yeah... don't forget to restart the computer after you make the change.

00Roush

I remember having similar trouble connecting to my server when I first setup Vista. I don't remember for sure if I was running Ubuntu or Win XP at the time though. From what I recall it had to do with some of the authentication settings or connection signing settings. I can't remember for sure what I did to fix it.

Scroll down to the Policy named "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it. Change it to Send LM & NTLM responses.

This might help but if it does not make sure to change it back to its original setting. Oh yeah... don't forget to restart the computer after you make the change.

00Roush

Thanks. I'll try that.

00Roush

Well I tried this and no luck. First off, I thought I was crazy for a few minutes when I couldn't find this "Local Security Policy" in Administrative Tools that you speak of, but after some research, I found out that Vista Home does not feature this option and you must do all changes through run:regedit. So, I found something that said to change the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel from a 3 to a 1 in the registry, which does the same thing, but it still didn't fix the problem. I have a $500+ NAS here that is almost as usefull as a paper-weight right now thanks to Microsoft Vista.

Last edited:
Do you have the CIFS protocol enabled in the 207+ web config? This is needed for Windows to be able to communicate with the NAS shares at the file level.

Did you setup your 207+ shares as guest access or username/password? If username/password try reverting to guest (open) sharing and see if you can connect to the NAS share using \\192.168.x.x\sharename in Windows Explorer (not Internet explorer)

Does your Vista machine have SP1 and the latest updates from Microsoft? If the XP machine cannot see the Vista PC you may need to change your Networking settings in Vista to allow the Vista PC to be discoverable in Windows Explorer.

Under Network Services, Win/Mac OS, I see "Optimize CIFS database operations", which is checked. I believe this was checked from default. Underneath it, I see "Enable CIFS Recycle Bin". Does this need to be checked? I currently have the Photo Station 3 and File Station enabled and it looks like I can get into those from the internet, so my port forwarding worked. I currently have 3 accounts. I have the standard admin account with a password. I have the guest account, which I don't think I've used yet and I read somewhere to disable it to help with this problem, so it is disabled right now. Lastly, I made an account that matches my username in Vista, but I don't use a password for Vista. I did try to set a password up in Vista to match the password in the DS207, but that didn't help. I'm not sure I understand what multiple accounts actually do. Is the guest account for people who may be logging in to my Photo Station from the internet?

And yes, Vista SP1 with all the latest updates.

I'm getting the "fail to connect" error 67, which according to Synology is:

Error 67
Error 67, where The network name cannot be found is where the name of the path is incorrect or cannot be found. Please verify that...

- The DNS Name Resolution is operating correctly
- That there are no other devices on the network which are using the same DNS name
- Please attempt to map the drive using the IP address of the Synology system

What is DNS Name Resolution? What should the DNS settings me in the Synology setup?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!