What's new

It's teaser-time. Because why not.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

2.5 Gbps WAN isn't new tho, the RT-AX86U was the first model to come with a 2.5 Gbps port.
but it is quite ugly (IMO :) ) I like how XT8 looks, but was never able to get all 3 interfaces working

As router CPUs get more faster, consume more power, and become more expensive, people will turn to the mature and cheap x86.
or even arm
currently the router consumption is higher then lot of the SBCs

btw i talked with my isp today then they told me that ont with more then 2.5G is currently basically unavailable in europe, so for about 5 seconds i considered SFP equipped router, but really for me, there is no use for gig+ as no server i use can realistically provide that speed

Last edited:
Honestly I was excited about it, but when I saw the price and its power adapter, I started to question whether I need a router like this.
It's just a 65W AC adaptor, nothing special. Probably uses it because it's a common part, I doubt the router ever draws anywhere near that.

I think it maybe better to hope for Asus for finish up their Wireguard implementation and for Merlin to incorporate it since that performs much better than OpenVPN.
I saw wireguard mentioned on their site as working for vpn fusion routers ...

It appears to be a perfect match to my TP-Link TL-SG3210XHP-M2 1.0 switch. I could use my one of the two SFP+ ports with an existing 10GBase-T transceiver (currently running 2.5GBase-T to GT-AX6000) to connect directly to the GT-AX11000 Pro 10 Gbps RJ-45 LAN/WAN port. I'm not sure how much of a difference in performance I might see as the router CPUs seem to be the same.

And here's the second new model.

gtaxe16000-support.png

I would love to see software enhancements for user selectable VLANs for the wired ports and specific WiFi SSIDs
VLANS is one feature I've been waiting for! I did figure out that enabling the guest network I can tag VLAN 502 and any wired device also gets that IP and it on the guest network.

Excited for the AXE16000 firmware! :)

Well I do have two of them in a mesh...I guess I could :)

i was close:

Why not? The BCM4912 is capable of it, it has two built-in 10 Gbps interfaces.

You probably won't get 10 Gbps NAT of course, but you can use that for LAN traffic: aggregated LAN + wifi, or uplink to a 10 Gbps AP.

And I'd be curious as to what throughput one could get over IPv6 as it won't involve NAT, only routing.

I can test that as I get 9.8 Gb between my workstation and NAS. To test, at least one of the Unplugged ports would need to show 10 Gbps when plugged in and it would be sweet if they all did that including the one that shows 2.5 Gbps.

Can those 10-Gb ports have hardware flow control configured?

I can test that as I get 9.8 Gb between my workstation and NAS. To test, at least one of the Unplugged ports would need to show 10 Gbps when plugged in and it would be sweet if they all did that including the one that shows 2.5 Gbps.

Can those 10-Gb ports have hardware flow control configured?
I was having issues with the GT-AXE16000's 10Base-T ports which showed just barely 2.6 Gbps wired speeds as tested on Ookla with the full AiProtection suite turned on. Strange that there isn't an option to enable/disable Jumbo Frames in the LAN-Switch Control tab of the router. Asus has had the function on all the previous routers I've bought so far. I'm on 10Gbps broadband through an active optical (fibre) network. Not sure if the router can handle VLANs or VPNs without dropping wired speeds drastically. I do know that the RT-AX89X can handle AiProtection without impacting wired speeds but not with VPNs on.

And a little accessory for it:

View attachment 43126
And here's the second new model.

View attachment 43124
This definitely changes the equation for me. I'd just returned a pair of AXE16000s due to the crap wired speeds for (10Gbps broadband) when AiProtection is enabled along with daily issues with my devices randomly disconnecting from any of the four bands and unable to reconnect till I've reset their Wifi functions a couple of times. Going to order just one unit this time and wait for RMerlin to work his magic.

Or the 8GB M2 Apple Air, today.

Yeah, but it's impressively fast LPDDR5 on the M2... and with Thunderbolt 4 and a 10Gbit adapter, would be a nice fit with this device ;)

(my dell XPS13 also has soldered DDR, this is getting to be a thing in the thin and light laptop space)

For a home gateway (router/ap) - 2GB is plenty of space - and with the crazy supply chain these days, might be they got a really good deal on specific parts if they're not in high demand - the DRAM market right now is all over the place

The BCM4912 is capable of it, it has two built-in 10 Gbps interfaces.

You mean the 4916 right?

Runner seems to be the big upgrade to support the additional bandwidth, along with the high speed fabric - CPU is another Brahma B53 spin...

Updated HND developer kit?

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.44.02 PM.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!