What's new

Just a little frustrated (Netgear WNDR3700)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ordinary Average Guy

New Around Here
Hi all,

Sorry to drop some troubles in the forum for help hopefully but I'm a bit frustrated now.

I got a WNDR3700 last weekend, installed, latest firmware updates. 2 desktops, network printer, xbox360, ps/3, sony bravia link receiver box and a directv hr23. These are wired connections. They all seem to be working fine.

Using wpa2-psk (aes) and have the wireless access (mac filter) set up and enabled, all the wireless stuff (3 laptops and a motorola droid) are in there.

Twice in the last week nothing wireless will connect, they are all using windows 7 x64 ultimate. For no apparent reason they will display the yellow exclamation point and all access goes away. "No internet access" is displayed, although the signal strength is excellent and the SSID shows up in the network sections of each of the wireless items.

I have checked using ipconfig /all during these times on the laptops and they are not pulling a DHCP address, they are getting 169.x.x.x and that's the win7 default if the machine cannot get a dhcp address from the router I believe.

Rebooting the wireless items makes no difference. The only thing that will solve this is to power-cycle the router. After a power-cycle I watched a macbook go from searching for the preferred signal/connection to locating it, getting an ip and having internet capbility.

I'm at a loss. I had a dir-655 and no problems but I've had it for 2 years, someone wanted to buy it and I thought why not... upgrade to the newest stuff... Never a problem with the dir-655 doing this.

See at this point I just want to box up the router and send it back. But I feel like there is something I'm not doing right.

I should mention that at this time the 5ghz band is disabled in the setup.

any thoughts, ideas or the like would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Last edited:
i've had similar issues, but it only happens once a week. I also happen to have a 250 ft ethernet cable connected to the router and I wonder whether that had anything to do with it.

i also have the 5 GHz disabled, but do not use the mac filtering.

Not sure about that, but this only is affecting the wireless clients.

As I mentioned, I left a macbook pro sitting on the desk searching to the my network, pulled the plug on the router. Let the router restart and the macbook found it and connected fine. The other laptop that was in use could not connect even after a restart of the laptop but a power cycle of the 3700 did the trick.

I know it's not the security being used or the mac list, and it's not a win7 issue either as snow leopard 10.6.2 is having the same issue.

I don't have patience with stuff that doesn't work as it should and it's about to take a return trip back to it's vendor.

Last edited:
Well I picked up a cheap engenius 9850 and set it up with the same ips, systems, etc. No dropout of the wireless.

I know it's been a while, anyone have any other ideas perhaps?

Well I picked up a cheap engenius 9850 and set it up with the same ips, systems, etc. No dropout of the wireless.

I know it's been a while, anyone have any other ideas perhaps?

I'll give it a stab later, but for now, you replaced the 3700 with an Engenius 9850?

What's your impression of the 9850 so far?