What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Addon 5.5 Beta for Netgear R7800/R8900/R9000 with Voxel FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I experienced and confirm this problem on my R9000 using Voxel's latest firmware and the latest Kaomj beta b26 I believe. I am using PPPoE, so I think its part of the problem.

If I experience a power outage, My ISP modem takes a while to train to get a VDSL signal, as a result, the R9000 is already booted up and trying to "dial in", when this happens, Adguard home becomes unavailable and is ghosted out, so by the time my ISP modem is good to go and the R9000 males a connection, all my devices on my router can not access the internet because AGH DNS is down. Only way for me to fix this, is to go to the DNS privacy section, choose "none" then choose "Adguard Home" again, or at time I just do a full reboot. This happens on both protocols, both wireguard and OpenVPN. I even have reestablish connection if disconnected check marked. Also if my ISP temporarily disconnects, and PPPoE connection is re established quickly, wireguard or OpenVPN will get stuck reconnecting, something about trying to enable the firewall or IP tables which I have set up. I think this all happens because I am using PPPoE. Not sure if anyone has experienced this I think in the past someone did mention this.

Also I tried to test this, I on purpose turned off my ISP's modem, and the R9000 would get stuck, when I try to access it, its like I'm setting up a new router? screenshot is attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.38.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.38.19 PM.png
    247 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.31.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.31.30 PM.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 157
I experienced and confirm this problem on my R9000 using Voxel's latest firmware and the latest Kaomj beta b26 I believe. I am using PPPoE, so I think its part of the problem.

If I experience a power outage, My ISP modem takes a while to train to get a VDSL signal, as a result, the R9000 is already booted up and trying to "dial in", when this happens, Adguard home becomes unavailable and is ghosted out, so by the time my ISP modem is good to go and the R9000 males a connection, all my devices on my router can not access the internet because AGH DNS is down. Only way for me to fix this, is to go to the DNS privacy section, choose "none" then choose "Adguard Home" again, or at time I just do a full reboot. This happens on both protocols, both wireguard and OpenVPN. I even have reestablish connection if disconnected check marked. Also if my ISP temporarily disconnects, and PPPoE connection is re established quickly, wireguard or OpenVPN will get stuck reconnecting, something about trying to enable the firewall or IP tables which I have set up. I think this all happens because I am using PPPoE. Not sure if anyone has experienced this I think in the past someone did mention this.

Also I tried to test this, I on purpose turned off my ISP's modem, and the R9000 would get stuck, when I try to access it, its like I'm setting up a new router? screenshot is attached.
Thank you for the report.
I can look into this if you have the time to help.

How does it work if using dnsmasq only or dnscrypt or stubby?

I think there are enough of logging possibilities in the addon to understand what happens.
Maybe at some time you have time to switch on Supervision and provide the logs from the Supervision, dnsmasq and aguard?

PS
Default wait at boot for WAN to get connected is only 11 seconds (will make this a parameter in an upcoming release).
To delay the start of adguard 181 seconds you can try a patch the wait for WAN connection to be established
before starting adguard (reboot is needed):
Code:
sed -i 's/sleep 11$/sleep 181/g' /usr/bin/addons.sh

To change back to default 11 seconds:
Code:
sed -i 's/sleep 181$/sleep 11/g' /usr/bin/addons.sh

Last edited:
I can look into this if you have the time to help.

How does it work if using dnsmasq only or dnscrypt or stubby?
I will do my best to help :) I have not tried using DNDmasq only or DNScrypt or stubby, just been using AGH, maybe I can try later.

I think there are enough of logging possibilities in the addon to understand what happens.
Maybe at some time you have time to switch on Supervision and provide the logs from the Supervision, dnsmasq and aguard?
Yes, maybe when I purposely stop the PPPoE connection ill enable supervision / logging before I do the test and report back.

PS
Default wait at boot for WAN to get connected is only 11 seconds (will make this a parameter in an upcoming release).
To delay the start of adguard 181 seconds you can try a patch the wait for WAN connection to be established
before starting adguard (reboot is needed):
Ahhh okay, makes sense if I cant get a WAN established, within the certain time frame. I think if I was on my regular method, where I just get a IP from the ISP Modem/Router WAN would always be established, but I told my ISP to configure me for PPPoE, so the ISP's Modem/Router is in like bridge mode, just so I dont have to go through another NAT if that makes sense. Thank you for the tip!! and thank you for making this a parameter we can change in the next release :) Will report back when I have time to test :)

And this morning, and upgrade of the great Mr @kamoj Add-on, Kamoj Add-on:220910-135011-5.5b27
So far so great :)
A Big Big BIG MERCI Mr @kamoj and like I told Mr @Voxel one day I hope we'll meet and Perriers are on me :)

I've tried searching but had no success in finding an overview of exactly what this addon provides and how to obtain/install it. There are several long threads about various versions but that's all I was able to find.

Just came over to Voxel from DDWRT so I'm definitely out-of-the-loop on this stuff, so sorry for the basic question :)

Hi, where can i get the link to download the latest beta please ?
I would like to try out the addon but for the life out of me I couldn't find any download link.

Thank you

Dear Community
As proposed by Kamoj, this is my "Hello" to the community.

A brief review why I am here:

I was searching for a solution to get rid of Ads at home while using internet. Working at home on mx linux, really interested in IT but having too little time to dig deep into. Nonetheless, I came across the Voxel firmware and the Kamoj addon. Unfortunately, I had only a Netgear 7000. So, I started to install Adguard on my NAS (synology). I was not that happy with this solution (even if it worked well). Thus, I purchased a Netgear 7800, installed Voxel FW, then dropped a line to Kamoj and finally got his Addon working. And obviously, installed Adguard.

Subsequently, now my first report on how things going:

So, first problem I faced was that I could not send any pictures with Threema over WLAN. The Adguard blocked pictures (interestingly, "normal" text messages could be sent). I could solve this problem in the Adguard menu, allowing Threema. -> solved

Then, I probably have the next problem. I have a webhosting which is managed via Plesk. Unfortunately, at home, I am disconnected repeatedly. I could not identify a specific behavior (such as always the same action or mouseclick or...) It is just randomly, sometimes every 2 seconds and sometimes, I could work for e.g. 5 minutes. I also could not identify a corresponding message in the Adguard menu (but to be honest, I am not sure which setting I had to monitor).

Is this or similar behavior already known?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have Voxel firmware V1.0.2.97SF kunnen with kamoj add-on V5.5b27, but when I browse to a section in the kamoj menu, I get an authentication popup. Although I enter the correct credentials the popup keeps coming.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks

Edit:
I've reset to factory settings and re-installed the add-on and everything seems to work fine now.

Edit2: I had the authentication popups back again after resetting my password. I think it has something to do with special characters in the password, which seem to be leading to these popups. I changes my password after that popups disappear. My old password was randomly generated, but included some special characters like: ~?>#\*?]. @kamoj could it be that one or more of these are not correctly handled by your code?

Last edited:
Hello,

My previous employer got this old retiree back to work and I have been traveling much of the time. I haven't been able to keep up with things on SNB and this forum. After returning home I decided to update my R9000 with the latest Voxel firmware (Voxel V1.0.4.63HF) and Kamoj add-on 5.5b27.

Kamoj, everything is running great for me - thank you! BTW, I finally got rid of our old satellite system and am on Starlink now - I think they are going through some growing pains with bandwith/speed but it is MUCH better!

Best wishes,
BL

Dear Community
As proposed by Kamoj, this is my "Hello" to the community.

A brief review why I am here:

I was searching for a solution to get rid of Ads at home while using internet. Working at home on mx linux, really interested in IT but having too little time to dig deep into. Nonetheless, I came across the Voxel firmware and the Kamoj addon. Unfortunately, I had only a Netgear 7000. So, I started to install Adguard on my NAS (synology). I was not that happy with this solution (even if it worked well). Thus, I purchased a Netgear 7800, installed Voxel FW, then dropped a line to Kamoj and finally got his Addon working. And obviously, installed Adguard.

Subsequently, now my first report on how things going:

So, first problem I faced was that I could not send any pictures with Threema over WLAN. The Adguard blocked pictures (interestingly, "normal" text messages could be sent). I could solve this problem in the Adguard menu, allowing Threema. -> solved

Then, I probably have the next problem. I have a webhosting which is managed via Plesk. Unfortunately, at home, I am disconnected repeatedly. I could not identify a specific behavior (such as always the same action or mouseclick or...) It is just randomly, sometimes every 2 seconds and sometimes, I could work for e.g. 5 minutes. I also could not identify a corresponding message in the Adguard menu (but to be honest, I am not sure which setting I had to monitor).

Is this or similar behavior already known?
Hello,

My router is a R9000 with Voxel firmware and the Kamoj add-on. I have been using AdGuard on it for some time. I run mostly Arch Linux OS, but do not use Plesk. I haven't seen the type of problem you describe. If you haven't done so already, maybe try using the router DNS or DNSCrypt instead - just to verify the issue is with AdGuard?

BL

Hello,

My router is a R9000 with Voxel firmware and the Kamoj add-on. I have been using AdGuard on it for some time. I run mostly Arch Linux OS, but do not use Plesk. I haven't seen the type of problem you describe. If you haven't done so already, maybe try using the router DNS or DNSCrypt instead - just to verify the issue is with AdGuard?

BL
Hi BL

Thank you for your advice. I am not sure, what to do. Probably, I have to clarify the situation. The webhosting is remote and provided by a different company. Hence, I try to login via a web-interface.

However, I guess you where proposing the settings in the DNS privacy tab. I set DNS privacy to DNS crypt and subsequently to None. Unfortunately, nothing changed, faced the same issues. After login, the portal starts to show up and immediately after that, I am back at the login question (username, pwd)... At least in most of the cases. Randomly, it works like expected and I am logged in.

Hi All,

I have Voxel firmware V1.0.2.97SF kunnen with kamoj add-on V5.5b27, but when I browse to a section in the kamoj menu, I get an authentication popup. Although I enter the correct credentials the popup keeps coming.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks

Edit:
I've reset to factory settings and re-installed the add-on and everything seems to work fine now.

Edit2: I had the authentication popups back again after resetting my password. I think it has something to do with special characters in the password, which seem to be leading to these popups. I changes my password after that popups disappear. My old password was randomly generated, but included some special characters like: ~?>#\*?]. @kamoj could it be that one or more of these are not correctly handled by your code?
This is described in the FAQ.

I set DNS privacy to DNS crypt and subsequently to None. Unfortunately, nothing changed, faced the same issues. After login, the portal starts to show up and immediately after that, I am back at the login question (username, pwd)... At least in most of the cases. Randomly, it works like expected and I am logged in.
I'd be very surprised if this behaviour is caused by DNS ad-blocking... Because a computer usually also caches DNS-queries.

Did you try multiple browsers? Or can you try from your phone (connected to the same wifi)?
Or do you have ad blocking software installed? Or some other browser-addins or a wrong java version?

Other option: Open the Web Developer Tools (usually F12) and look for instance at network traffic when you try to logon.
If something is unreachable due to DNS issues, it should show up there.
Also the developer console could show errors.

Hi
So I just gave it a try and logged in via mobile. Unfortunately, same behavior... As soon as I shut off wifi, everything worked well. I did not change any other settings on the mobile. I have adblocking software but I shut it off for a try (on my laptop). I do have adblocking software on my mobile too, but as mentioned, I only had to deactivate wifi to enabling successful login.
Tried as mentioned with Web Developer Tools. What I found are some NS_Binding_aborted messages, always after a 400 Bad request. (Firefox on Laptop). I then tried with Opera, started with same behavior. Then activated Web Developer Tools and I had no interruption in Opera. It worked for a while but suddenly, same behavior again.

Hi
So I just gave it a try and logged in via mobile. Unfortunately, same behavior... As soon as I shut off wifi, everything worked well. I did not change any other settings on the mobile. I have adblocking software but I shut it off for a try (on my laptop). I do have adblocking software on my mobile too, but as mentioned, I only had to deactivate wifi to enabling successful login.
Tried as mentioned with Web Developer Tools. What I found are some NS_Binding_aborted messages, always after a 400 Bad request. (Firefox on Laptop). I then tried with Opera, started with same behavior. Then activated Web Developer Tools and I had no interruption in Opera. It worked for a while but suddenly, same behavior again.
strange... other guess:
your mtu size is too big for your ISP -> some packets get fragmented and somewhere on the way the packets are dropped.
Or the DNS of your provider is resolving to a different IP than the one of your phone, causing the phone to follow a different route than your laptop.

things I would try:
- connect laptop directly to ISP modem and test -> if the issue still occurs then the R7800 is not the cause.
Perhaps open a case with your ISP.

- capture wiresharks, nslookups and traceroutes of these 2 situations: Access the page from your laptop connected via R7800. And access the page from your laptop connected via mobile hotspot on your phone.
Then analyse that data and try to find the cause. But this is not always easy.

Anyways, I think this is too much off-topic for this thread. Better open a new thread if you want to continue the investigation.

hey guys...had a really weird brick moment last night and looking for some insight of what could be the cause....

brief history: I'm a former lurker.. used voxel/kamoj without upgrading for a long time since it was so stable. About a month or two ago, at night, wifi networks would disappear and come back few minutes later. This started happening nightly around same time frame so decided finally time to upgrade to latest voxel/kamoj since I exhausted all scenarios I was aware about that could be causing that.

Flashed latest Vox (dirty flash, didn't reset), no issues, flashed kamoj, no issues. Enabled AdGuard, no issues. All seemed well, networks drops went away, then randomly last night networks disappeared (about 3 weeks since flash) and never came back. Rebooted router, reset etc and nothing would work to get the router to come back on with radios or any capacity at all to connect (telnet, ssh, etc).

I was able to connect with TFTP, flashed latest Vox, still didn't work. Flashed latest official Netgear stock and now I'm back up.

The weirdest thing, to me at least, is that all my settings were retained. Router login credentials, networks names, static ips, etc all good. I thought that after trying multiple resets and flashing Vox with failure would have erased anything.

Anyone got any clue on how to see what caused router to soft brick and is it normal that my settings stayed? Most these settings were configured under vox/kamoj so not sure if normal that stock Netgear retained settings after everything I tried. I'm assuming not reseting after flash might have contributed but not sure.

oh not sure if it matters for analysis but the vox/kamoj upgrades were flashed via macOS/terminal. Flashes after soft-brick were done in W10 for easy TFTP and no ethernet dongle around for Mac today.

Thanks all!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!