What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Addon 5.5 Beta for Netgear R7800/R8900/R9000 with Voxel FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello Guys, not sure if it is a concidence but after i have activated readycloud, i'm loosing ETH port connections time to time, WIFI keeps work. anyone having similar issue? to be able to fix it i have to reboot. tnx

Add-On version 5b22 installed and no problem whatsoever :)
a HUGE THANX to @kamoj for his work and dedication :)
I really love an depend on this add-on for my 7800 (y)
Thank you for the posting!
I appreciate, but must remind everyone here that without @Voxel, there would be no add-on!

Also there are others in this community that are helping and contributing a lot!
If you follow the Netgear threads you know what I mean.

They latest contribution that came as a "positive shock" to me, was that the other day I -
as a gift - received an R9000 router in mint condition from our dear community member @nsx ! :D

This means that I now don't need to bother you closest R9000 owners to do some of the
tests/verifications that you have done up to today. I'll start to use the R9000 as my main
router from now on, but still use my beloved R7800 in my network.
I can assure everyone that I care as much for R7800 as for R9000.
I want them to be equal, and consider both of them as among the very best and
most stable routers of all time!

Thank you @nsx, not only for the router, but also for all help with GUI.
Without your help the looks and feel of the add-on would still be as awkward,
as before you stepped in and helped me! :D

Last edited:
Hello @kamoj
I wanted to thank you on this thread, I'm thanking the same way @Voxel on the thread about his firmware :)
And I also want to thank everyone on this great forum for always being great posters :) Lots of help are available here, a realy great community.
Out of curiosity Mr @kamoj which router do you prefer and why? Between the R7800 and the R9000?

...Out of curiosity Mr @kamoj which router do you prefer and why? Between the R7800 and the R9000?
I've loved the R7800 for long time, but the R9000 is a fantastic router (overkill for most users though).
I'll try e.g. the 10 GB ethernet connection to my NAS for fun. Also It has 4 cpu cores and more memory.
I still think the R7800 has same or even better WiFi performance!

Hi all, I had a question on the Voxel x Kamoj OpenVPN function on the R7800. Hope this is the right topic.

Expected behaviour: OpenVPN with a remote IP to stream outside of my region. Being able to access my server via dedicated domain which translates to my static WAN IP.

Experienced behaviour: When the OVPN is on, Cloudflare can't connect to my server and gives a 522 error.

Question: I was wondering why this happens and if there is an option to fix this. My theory is the router advertises (is that the right term?) itself to the outside world as the OVPN ip, and thus cloudflare can't find it. However, this was not always the case, so I have the feeling it's a setting I misconfigured.

Thanks!

Experienced behaviour: When the OVPN is on, Cloudflare can't connect to my server and gives a 522 error.

Question: I was wondering why this happens and if there is an option to fix this. My theory is the router advertises (is that the right term?) itself to the outside world as the OVPN ip, and thus cloudflare can't find it. However, this was not always the case, so I have the feeling it's a setting I misconfigured.

By default, all outbound traffic goes via OVPN. This gives two issues.
- DynamicDNS registers the OVPN IP-address -> Connections to your router end up at the VPN provider. And unless you have an advanced provider where you can configure port-forwarding, those connections will be dropped.

- If you don't use DDNS, traffic to your router goes directly to your own IP-address. But the router will try to send the responses via the VPN -> this usually also don't work.

Solution for both:
In the VPN Bypassing section of the add-on, enable "Router it-self bypass VPN"
(note, if you are using Transmission for torrents also on the router itself, that Transmission will then also no longer use the VPN.)

Amazing
By default, all outbound traffic goes via OVPN. This gives two issues.
- DynamicDNS registers the OVPN IP-address -> Connections to your router end up at the VPN provider. And unless you have an advanced provider where you can configure port-forwarding, those connections will be dropped.

- If you don't use DDNS, traffic to your router goes directly to your own IP-address. But the router will try to send the responses via the VPN -> this usually also don't work.

Solution for both:
In the VPN Bypassing section of the add-on, enable "Router it-self bypass VPN"
(note, if you are using Transmission for torrents also on the router itself, that Transmission will then also no longer use the VPN.)

Amazing Gerrits, thanks for this clear explanation. Just out of curiosity, are there any downsides to bypassing the VPN with the router? Security or otherwise?

Amazing

Amazing Gerrits, thanks for this clear explanation. Just out of curiosity, are there any downsides to bypassing the VPN with the router? Security or otherwise?
I already mentioned Transmission.

Another reason is if you don't trust your ISP (or the country where you live in).
If you bypass VPN for the router itself, then all the traffic that the router initiates, goes directly to the internet. So also all DNS requests do. Thus your ISP (or perhaps country) could see those DNS requests and thus identify which sites you are visiting.
A solution for that can be to use DNScrypt -> then those DNS requests get encrypted and cannot be inspected anymore (unless someone has the private keys of the encryption).

So it really depends on your situation. What additional software are you running directly on the router. And do you mind if traffic from that software can be inspected / traced back to your IP-address.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2022-06-03 5.5b23
---------------------------------------------------------------
- Added option (question) at add-on uninstall to remove all kamoj add-on settings from nvram.
- OpenVPN Client: Updated PureVPN. (@VicB)
- Added: Settings: Router Analytics / Data Collection / Phone Home: Disable: Facebook Captive Portal (@Voxel, @HELLO_wORLD)
- Added: "Supervision log" to Supervision menu.
- Added: System Information: ifconfig
- Added: System Information: iwconfig
- Added for R9000: Router Information: Fan speed (Thank you @nsx !)
- Added: Settings: Set functions on / off: Set vt100 as terminal for shells to enable e.g. nano from Telnet
- Minor editorial changes of log separator.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2022-06-06 5.5b24
This "DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking"-release is a first step in a better DNSCrypt experience.
- DNSCrypt: Added New Check-box: "Anonymized DNS" (@xTe22-pT)
This causes all servers used to be accessed encrypted through a relay server.
- DNSCrypt: Added Check-box "Use all dnscrypt servers"
This will override defined "Dnscrypt 2 Servers".
DNSCrypt will itself sort all servers and use the fastest ones.
- DNSCrypt: Used servers will now be saved in nvram when using
"Save Servers" in "Edit Dnscrypt 2 Servers".
So now it will survive a router firmware update.
- DNSCrypt: Added New Input field: Disabled dnscrypt servers
Useful e.g. when using "Use all dnscrypt servers".
Here you enter the the server / relay you don't want to use.
It is saved in nvram and will survive a router firmware update.

Last edited:
Add-on 5.5b24 installed and no problem whatsover :)
I have already a server running AdGuard Home so I guess I don't need DNSCrypt. Am I wrong?
Ah, I had to configure again all the options under Router Analytics / Data Collection / Phone Home and Set Programs & Services on / off. But it was fast and easy.
Thanx again Mr @kamoj

EDIT : stupid question. I have enabled the SSH login. But I can't SSH the router. I tought the credentials were the same I'm using when I telnet the router. Admin and XXXX. But it seems I'm wrong, they don't allow me to SSH the router.

Last edited:
Add-on 5.5b24 installed and no problem whatsover :)
I have already a server running AdGuard Home so I guess I don't need DNSCrypt. Am I wrong?
Ah, I had to configure again all the options under Router Analytics / Data Collection / Phone Home and Set Programs & Services on / off. But it was fast and easy.
Thanx again Mr @kamoj
Thank you for the report! :cool:

If you have a AdGuard Home server I guess you know what you are doing!

It's strange you had to configure those options again.
Maybe you answered Yes to the question: "Do you want to remove ALL 134 add-on nvram settings as well? [y/n]", when you unistalled previous add-on version?
I hope so. If so it's easy to instead restore the configuration backup.

Hello Mr @kamoj

Yep, AdGuardHome is running on a Raspberry Zero 2 w. Very stable, works great too :)

You're totally right, I did answer Yes to the question "Do you want to remove ALL 134 add-on nvram settings as well" now that you mention it... I was doing 3 things at the same time when I should have been focused on this upgrade. My bad :(

Any idea about my SSH concern?

Thanx :)

Aw damn burnt out me ol' Nighthawk r9000. That r21 - > r22 seemed to cause an issue where the fan wouldn't start at the higher temps. It is likely fixed now. But wanted to know where I can get boards fixed. The 60/5/2.4 lights flicker really fast (3 minutes) and then slowly die off to a slow flicker. Can't access any of the board hardware now. I noticed that the temp max was tripped for day(s) and when I force enabled the fan it dropped 35 c ... I think the settings were munched. Anyways what else can I do with the board because the wireless modules slow the startup. I took it apart completely was going to throw it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 250 c to reflow maybe hotter. ? Any suggestions before I toss all this hardware out?

Aw damn burnt out me ol' Nighthawk r9000. That r21 - > r22 seemed to cause an issue where the fan wouldn't start at the higher temps. It is likely fixed now. But wanted to know where I can get boards fixed. The 60/5/2.4 lights flicker really fast (3 minutes) and then slowly die off to a slow flicker. Can't access any of the board hardware now. I noticed that the temp max was tripped for day(s) and when I force enabled the fan it dropped 35 c ... I think the settings were munched. Anyways what else can I do with the board because the wireless modules slow the startup. I took it apart completely was going to throw it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 250 c to reflow maybe hotter. ? Any suggestions before I toss all this hardware out?
Don't know what has happened for you, but the add-on has had support for permanent fan on since long time ago,
and I had no complaints yet.
Since then nothing has changed, and now when I have an R9000 myself I've verified that the fan functions are working.
(The fan on/off in stock/Voxel firmware does not seem to work though last time I tried long ago)
"Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2020-11-24 5.4b12
- R9000 only: Fan handling. I've had many questions and request about this function,
and have made a Clean-up and Bug-fix of code and GUI, and added some functions:
R9000: debug form: Fan Algorithm: Reworked the extremely confusing form, added (default values)
R9000: debug form: Added: Fan speed (rpm)
R9000: debug form: Added: Always enable Fan (Fan ON always, speed as selected in speed drop list)
R9000: debug form: Added: New Fan speeds: 1000, 5000, 9000 rpm"

If the add-on had warned me about high temperature - for days - I would assume something is wrong and switch it off.
I would also try running it without WiFi on, and see what happens.
If you want to bake it you are advised to first remove all heatsinks etc.
Also try with a hot air gun with small nozzle if you know what's wrong.

Best wishes to you!

Reactions: KW.
@kamoj loving your add-on & Voxel’s firmware. I have a RAX120 & a XR1000 but constantly running this R9000 instead of the other two. The RAX120 I beta’d for Netgear and switched to the XR1000 for my son & his gaming stuff…huge mistake. That is a POS router for real. I’ve been poking around in the firmware (officially from Netgear & NetDuma). I wanna play with the firmware & flashing at some point but I just don’t have the time right now. I am aware the XR700 & R900 are the same so that seems interesting

But why I came here: first was to thank you both, @kamoj & @Voxel for your turning this older router into a beast of a home router again! If you ever need R9000 stuff done just lmk and I’ll be more than willing to help out. I also have the Netgear Nighthawk Gaming Switch SX10 (GS810EMX) if you ever need to do any testing of the R9000 & then this switch too (probably never but offering just the same). So, it is time to do my first firmware & add-on update since I have made the move from official to Voxel FW + Kamoj add-on. And it’s been a LONG time since I’ve done anything like this except for official FW. I was in the jailbreak world of iOS way back when sl I’m a techie guy and hell I’m a NOC manager by trade but it’s scaring the heck outta me to try an install of newest Voxel FW + Kamoj AO with me already on the both of them. I’m a) unsure of the process from start to finish, b) afraid I’ll brick this insanely expensive and seemingly becoming rarer every day perfectly working R9000, c) will have to contend with the wraths’ of my work, my kids & my girlfriend if the internet is down at my home for even a second. So, any words of advice? Got a guide that is easy to follow on how to do both?

Last tidbit of info & a Q: Is the process in Vocel’s documentation for dropbear & SSH keys accurate for the R9000? It seems like it was not easy for me to follow and I have no idea wtf I did but I jacked it all the way up so wanting to start completely a new/over maybe instead of just doing an upgrade. This way I can redo from the beginning to end the setup of the router, config the network SSIDs & Passwords, etc and then Kamoj…same process as the above request I asked or is this totally different to do?

Thank you!
iPVPN
(I’d love a username change, I documented iPredator VPN OpenVPN process back years ago but I’ve since moved on the ExpressVPN and here soon maybe NordVPN…)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!