What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Addon 5.5 Beta for Netgear R7800/R8900/R9000 with Voxel FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for the presentation and interest in the add-on!

- I suggest you start by taking a backup of the R9000 configuration through the Netgear GUI.
(Not needed, but to be safe).
- Download the Voxel FW and unzip the .img file.
- Go to Netgear GUI and update FW with the Voxel .img you downloaded.
- Read the readme.txt here: http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Kamoj/
- Once up and running again:
1. Logon (From your web-browser): http://www.routerlogin.net
2. http://www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm
3. Check (Set a tick in the box for) "Enable Telnet". (No apply needed)
4. Run telnet and connect to the router: telnet routerlogin.net
(or e.g. telnet 192.168.1.1). The password is same as for the router login.
- From the router prompt: Download and install the latest Kamoj add-on. (readme.txt)
- Reboot when prompted.
- I recommend you to install Aegis once you are happy with the FW.

- My FAQ.txt have instructions + script for how to fix ssh and winscp etc working.

EDIT : stupid question. I have enabled the SSH login. But I can't SSH the router. I tought the credentials were the same I'm using when I telnet the router. Admin and XXXX. But it seems I'm wrong, they don't allow me to SSH the router.

Hi,

Just to letting you know SSH does not work as same way as Telnet (where you just need to type admin and password).
Please check this link below, it is the Readme document you can find at Voxel's firmware page, and recommendable to anyone check that before install their custom firmware.
Go to Page 5, section 4 - Setup SSH access to router, please :

Hope that helps you !

EDIT : stupid question. I have enabled the SSH login. But I can't SSH the router. I tought the credentials were the same I'm using when I telnet the router. Admin and XXXX. But it seems I'm wrong, they don't allow me to SSH the router.

I've never been able to get SSH working, but after seeing your post I decided to give it another go and to my amazement, it worked! I did not follow any instructions, no USB drive with SSH keys or anything else. Just checked off "Allow SSH login with Username & Password" on kamoj's settings page and this command (I'm using linux):

Code:
ssh admin@192.168.1.1

followed by the router's admin password (same as in telnet). I don't know if anything has changed recently in the addon, but this never use to work for me and I always used telnet. Works perfectly now!! Thanks as always @kamoj

Last edited:
I've never been able to get SSH working, but after seeing your post I decided to give it another go and to my amazement, it worked! I did not follow any instructions, no USB drive with SSH keys or anything else. Just checked off "Allow SSH login with Username & Password" on kamoj's settings page and this command (I'm using linux):

Code:
ssh admin@192.168.1.1

followed by the router's admin password (same as in telnet). I don't know if anything has changed recently in the addon, but this never use to work for me and I always used telnet. Works perfectly now!! Thanks as always @kamoj

Well, I just have tried to reproduce same steps using Windows, and can not login via SSH just by enabling the option "Allow SSH login with Username & Password".

Used Putty and tried to access using "admin" , "ssh admin" and "root", but no matter what the username we use, it comes up always with same error message: Access denied

This is why I suggested "LeKeiser" on my message above to follow the classic method stated at readme document in order to avoid any issues or confusions. That's the way I did long time ago, and it is working great from there on. It is guaranted that works on all systems at least.

Please note I have not tried to do in linux or any other different OS. Either way, going to check that using a linux distro and also a mac osx to figure out if they both work. Will share my experience here after that.

Last edited:
If you read the addon FAQ.txt (As a beta tester you should have done it already!) you can find info about how to get ssh working,
including how to set up winscp (using putty)!
You can even "get some ideas" on how to do it if you look at the add-on script doing the job!
If there is any error in the script, please report it to me.
Code:
cat /usr/bin/ssh_keys_install.sh

If you read the addon FAQ.txt (As a beta tester you should have done it already!) you can find info about how to get ssh working,
including how to set up winscp (using putty)!
You can even "get some ideas" on how to do it if you look at the add-on script doing the job!
If there is any error in the script, please report it to me.
Code:
cat /usr/bin/ssh_keys_install.sh

Yeah I did read but to be honest, not the SSH section just due to the reasons stated above. I did all that process using the classic way at the earliest versions of Voxel firmware. If I do remember right, your add-on wasn't still available.
Anyway, gonna re-check the doc and test that later today.

Hello Guys, after clean instal i have flashed latest kamoj addon and getting this message:

Router Configuration Information
ERROR: Router configuration is CORRUPT! Size: 186996. Items:?.

how should i proceed?

Thank you

Hello Guys, after clean instal i have flashed latest kamoj addon and getting this message:

how should i proceed?

Thank you
Hello,
Where do you get the Router Configuration Information?

Hello,
Where do you get the Router Configuration Information?
from kamoj router information. i have erased nvram from telnet but it is showing same message:

Router Configuration InformationERROR: Router configuration is CORRUPT!. Size: 187124. Items:?.

how should i proceed?

Thank you
Thank you for reporting this. It's good the add-on detected this for you.
Read FAQ.txt.
This is a severe error that can cause the most unexpected errors, so take action immediately:
Restore latest not corrupt backup!
Or make a total reset, see FAQ.txt

Thank you for reporting this. It's good the add-on detected this for you.
Read FAQ.txt.
This is a severe error that can cause the most unexpected errors, so take action immediately:
Restore latest not corrupt backup!
Or make a total reset, see FAQ.txt
Hello Kamoj,

i have erased all nvram, restored router firmware and addon without loading a backup. then after 15-16hours i have lost again ETH ports. i have reboot the router and message is back
Router Configuration InformationERROR: Router configuration is CORRUPT!. Size: 184104

can it be an hardware issue?

edit: i have spent half day by flashing ddwrt then reverted back to netgear to initial version 10.0.40. then i have updated to 10.2.0.90 by OTA. i will monitor without using readycloud for few day. i guess readycloud installation deeply corrupt my router config. if i will see ETH port going down again i will swap the router

edit 2: i have enabled readycloud and after 24 hours i lost connection on all ETH port which confirm SW bug not HW

Last edited:
Thank you for the presentation and interest in the add-on!

- I suggest you start by taking a backup of the R9000 configuration through the Netgear GUI.
(Not needed, but to be safe).
- Download the Voxel FW and unzip the .img file.
- Go to Netgear GUI and update FW with the Voxel .img you downloaded.
- Read the readme.txt here: http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Kamoj/
- Once up and running again:
1. Logon (From your web-browser): http://www.routerlogin.net
2. http://www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm
3. Check (Set a tick in the box for) "Enable Telnet". (No apply needed)
4. Run telnet and connect to the router: telnet routerlogin.net
(or e.g. telnet 192.168.1.1). The password is same as for the router login.
- From the router prompt: Download and install the latest Kamoj add-on. (readme.txt)
- Reboot when prompted.
- I recommend you to install Aegis once you are happy with the FW.

- My FAQ.txt have instructions + script for how to fix ssh and winscp etc working.
Kamoj: I already have both installed and need to upgrade, so that will change the process, right?

Thank you for replying!

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2022-06-17 5.5b25
---------------------------------------------------------------
- OpenVPN Client: Updated to work with new PureVPN page again.
Not sure what's happening with PureVPN,
why they change site. This time https stopped working.
- OpenVPN Client: Added TCP option to PureVPN. (@VicB)
- Router Information:
Added number of add-on entries in nvram to:
MTD NVRAM Usage (Used/Total)

By default, all outbound traffic goes via OVPN. This gives two issues.
- DynamicDNS registers the OVPN IP-address -> Connections to your router end up at the VPN provider. And unless you have an advanced provider where you can configure port-forwarding, those connections will be dropped.

- If you don't use DDNS, traffic to your router goes directly to your own IP-address. But the router will try to send the responses via the VPN -> this usually also don't work.

Solution for both:
In the VPN Bypassing section of the add-on, enable "Router it-self bypass VPN"
(note, if you are using Transmission for torrents also on the router itself, that Transmission will then also no longer use the VPN.)
Its's been a while but unfortunately turning on the 'Router it-self bypass VPN' function did not solve the issue. Turning off the VPN does, which confirms it's VPN related. Any suggestions for me to look at?

I would use for instance "curl ifconfig.me" via telnet / ssh directly on the router. And see if there is a difference between no vpn, vpn and vpn+routerbypass.
(no vpn and vpn+routerbypass should show the same IP; vpn should show a different one.)

Then I would look at the IP-address that is registered at your DDNS provider.
Perhaps you the moment you enabled the bypassing, DDNS did not see a change in IP-address and thus didn't re-register.(addresses on the interfaces stay the same, only the routing changed).
Perhaps stopping and starting the VPN after enabling the bypassing would have solved this. Or manually triggering the re-registration of DDNS.

and if the above steps don't give the desired outcome, then inspect the routing tables on the router.
("ip rule show", "ip route show table main", "ip route show table novpn")

I would use for instance "curl ifconfig.me" via telnet / ssh directly on the router. And see if there is a difference between no vpn, vpn and vpn+routerbypass.
(no vpn and vpn+routerbypass should show the same IP; vpn should show a different one.)

Then I would look at the IP-address that is registered at your DDNS provider.
Perhaps you the moment you enabled the bypassing, DDNS did not see a change in IP-address and thus didn't re-register.(addresses on the interfaces stay the same, only the routing changed).
Perhaps stopping and starting the VPN after enabling the bypassing would have solved this. Or manually triggering the re-registration of DDNS.

and if the above steps don't give the desired outcome, then inspect the routing tables on the router.
("ip rule show", "ip route show table main", "dev brwan")
Thanks Gerrits, that helped a bunch.
Using your curl suggestions confirms the router bypass function works as should. Unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by DDNS provider, as I have a static IP from my ISP, but maybe thats outside the scope of this topic. If it's ok with @kamoj I'd be happy to continue here, in case someone else needs to read it, but could also start a dedicated topic.

Edit: clarification

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by DDNS provider, as I have a static IP from my ISP, but maybe thats outside the scope of this topic.
I assume you configured something via "Advanced settings -> Dynamic DNS", so that you can use a dns-name in your cloudfare settings.
I'm using dyn.com -> if I logon to dyn.com then I can see the IP-address that is registered at them.
(the router periodically makes a http connection to dyn.com and dyn.com then uses the ip-address that initiated that connection.)

If you have a static IP and registered for a static IP-address somewhere, then you don't need DDNS.
(But then I think you also should not have an issue.)

I assume you configured something via "Advanced settings -> Dynamic DNS", so that you can use a dns-name in your cloudfare settings.
I'm using dyn.com -> if I logon to dyn.com then I can see the IP-address that is registered at them.
(the router periodically makes a http connection to dyn.com and dyn.com then uses the ip-address that initiated that connection.)

If you have a static IP and registered for a static IP-address somewhere, then you don't need DDNS.
(But then I think you also should not have an issue.)
Thats the odd thing to me as well, I have a static IP, so DDNS shouldn't be the issue.
My A record in Cloudflare points to my static ip and my router advertises that exact ip as confirmed by the ifconfig commands you gave me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!