What's new

Kamoj Kamoj debug-page add-on for Netgear R7800 X4S running Voxel Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wl_channel=0
wla_channel=157

Prior to reenabling Telnet to obtain these results, I viewed the debug page and saw CH:0 for the 2.4GHz radio. I do have several clients connected to the 5GHz radio at this time.

will this work on the R9000 also?
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No. Don't try that!
Some parts will work but the R9000 is another beast.
If installed it might not even boot correctly.
I don't have an R9000, so I can't adapt the add-on to that router.

No. Don't try that!
Some parts will work but the R9000 is another beast.
If installed it might not even boot correctly.
I don't have an R9000, so I can't adapt the add-on to that router.
got it, that's what I figured. Thanks for the answer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi Kamoj,
First of all, thank you for the great work with this add-on (and OpenVPN and other improvements)!
I've installed the add-on today and it looks ok (in FHD resolution there is no need for scroll bars), with information about wla/wl_channel being accurate.
One question related to the information within the brackets at CPU Load: are these the "Load average" data that you can see in "top" (/proc/loadavg), or something else? I have a difference between them:
debug.htm: CPU Load 2.0% ( 4.0% 0.0% )
and
$ cat /proc/loadavg
5.01 5.03 5.05 1/175 28667

If you don't use the /proc/loadavg, please consider doing so. You can display short labels for these numbers according to the documentation of loadavg (so people will not need to google for it), and if the PID of last used process still exists, you can bring also details about that one (from cat /proc/{pid}/cmdline ). For me it has more relevance the load average for last 5 & 10 minutes than the instant CPU usage, as normally any performance issue is treated as a momentary glitch for the first minutes :rolleyes:, and after that people start to check and investigate what/where is the problem (especially if auto-healing is disabled and the problem don't disappear by itself).
Other suggestion for basic information that can be added:
- status of physical network ports (connected, speed, duplex) - as I've faced the challenge to find out if the provider equipment was really connected to 1000Mbps or just to 100Mbps (thanks to Voxel, ethtool is included in the firmware)
- information about USB storage attached (df, partitions list & type, other critical information you find useful)
- OpenVPN server status (next to/similar with how the OpenVPN client info is presented)
- content of Entware crontab or even nicer (and more complicated to develop):
-- a small scheduler interface with most common tasks to be performed by the router, like: reboot, update of Up/Down bandwidth (Speedtest) for QoS, update of Performance Optimization DB, backup to a NFS - with default file/folders list (included and/or excluded) that can be changed by the user
- option to wake-on-lan devices that has a DHCP reservation (or with a manually entered MAC address for people with masochistic tendencies)
- option to eject USB storage, with confirmation that eject was successfully (or if not, with the error message)

I have some ideas about how you can fill-up the white space on the right-side, but this might not be so simple:
- if USB storage is attached (and rrd libs from Entware are installed), to have the option to record a smoke ping graph data (towards default gateway or whatever manually entered host), and to display it on the debug page. Nice to have the possibility to define more than 1 target for smoke ping, you can monitor the RTT towards the provider, but also to some internal machines. If you are not familiar with smoke ping, you can see details here.
- by the same logic (rrd from Entware), you can record also CPU, load average, temps, bandwidth utilization, etc. and integrate the graphs into the debug.htm instead installing lighttpd-mod-rrdtool and view them separately (oh, yeah, and configure them correctly :rolleyes:).

I'm looking forward for the next versions & add-ons for R7800, so keep up the good work!
Thank you very much!

Just wanted to add that I think this is awesome add-on.

On your second version when you release would you mind making it compatible for DNSCrypt 2 also? Voxel just released the module for it and I'm running and yours seems to only work for v1 which IMO should go away since it was discontinued.

On the "road" now.
Version 2 with support for R9000 is ready but no time to release.
Away from keyboard. ShS
Have a few jobs to do.
So maybe it will be something in version 3.
Thank you - and you others of course! - for suggestions, that shows someone is using this stuff!

First, many thanks for your great add-ons.
I have problems in OpenVPN information. The OpenVPN is enabled and I can connect to it successfully. However, in your debug page, the contents in "OpenVPN Clients Available" and "OpenVPN Client Name" are blank. While "OpenVPN Client Status" is "No .ovpn configuration found".
However, when I do the 'cat /tmp/openvpnd_tun.status' in the command line, the information of the current connected clients can be displayed without anomaly.
Do I need to do further configuration? Many thanks in advance.

bzq2810

You are welcome!
The addon only show info about Voxels OpenVPN Client implememtation.
Not about Netgears OpenVPN Server.

You are welcome!
The addon only show info about Voxels OpenVPN Client implememtation.
Not about Netgears OpenVPN Server.
Many thanks for your reply.
1. How about add a configuration file to enable/disable the features in the debug page? For example, because I don't use OpenVPN client, why I need the blank information there? My thought is that put a config file in the user directory. And the add-on reads this config file to make decision which info to display.
2. In addition, is it possible to add the OpenVPN server information support (mainly connected client list). You can read the information from '/tmp/openvpnd.status' and '/tmp/openvpnd_tun.status'.
Many thanks in advance.

bzq2810

Thank you for the tips!
Anything is possible.
I'll add your suggestions to "the list".
However I'm away from router for some time.

To add "Average load" might lead to more confusion than help.
I actually removed it deliberatly since it is not easy to understand.
Average load is not a measure of cpu load, but of system resources.

Here is a nice blog/article about it:
"Linux Load Averages: Solving the Mystery"
http://www.brendangregg.com/blog/2017-08-08/linux-load-averages.html

I'll probably add it again to next release as a test to see what the reactions are.
But you will probably have to create a new thread about Linux "Load average"...
(Don't contaminate this thread, please ;-)

Working on other of your tips.
Thank you!

One question related to the information within the brackets at CPU Load: are these the "Load average" data that you can see in "top" (/proc/loadavg), or something else? I have a difference between them:
debug.htm: CPU Load 2.0% ( 4.0% 0.0% )
and
$ cat /proc/loadavg
5.01 5.03 5.05 1/175 28667

If you don't use the /proc/loadavg, please consider doing so./QUOTE]

Hi everybody, and thanks for your add-on suggestions.
More suggestions are welcome!

The time for a new release is closing in.
Now R8900/R9000 are supported as well.

Attaching a picture of current beta-version:

Add-on-Image-R7800+R9000.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!