What's new

kernel warning msg w.r.t. hdd

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sean Nelson

Occasional Visitor
AC68u, currently 380.69_2 but issue existed with earlier versions as well.

I have a 2TB Toshiba USB3.0 portable HDD connected to the router. It works fine (all supported protocols). But from time to time system log shows:

Mar 17 10:55:01 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint

and

Mar 17 10:57:40 kernel: htb: htb qdisc 12: is non-work-conserving?

I set my log to be above "info", and the first kind of msg makes up 99% of my log (it usually comes in bursts of several dozen a time); the second kind is less frequent but also persistent. Also they seem to show up at random time -- not necessarily when someone actively accesses the disk.

The disk performance seems fine in terms of both latency and throughput, so these warnings are not causing any trouble, but I am curious about them. I suppose the HDD has some sort of power saving function; would that be a cause?

Sean

AC68u, currently 380.69_2 but issue existed with earlier versions as well.

I have a 2TB Toshiba USB3.0 portable HDD connected to the router. It works fine (all supported protocols). But from time to time system log shows:

Mar 17 10:55:01 kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:0c.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint

and

Mar 17 10:57:40 kernel: htb: htb qdisc 12: is non-work-conserving?

I set my log to be above "info", and the first kind of msg makes up 99% of my log (it usually comes in bursts of several dozen a time); the second kind is less frequent but also persistent. Also they seem to show up at random time -- not necessarily when someone actively accesses the disk.

The disk performance seems fine in terms of both latency and throughput, so these warnings are not causing any trouble, but I am curious about them. I suppose the HDD has some sort of power saving function; would that be a cause?

Sean
The second error is not actually an error it is an indication that you use QOS and it is working. The first message you will need someone smarter than me.

updated to 384.4 and the message remains. Tons of it, as before.

It seems that other people who saw this message tend to have problem accessing the usb drive (and with other error messages); So far I have not had access problems.

To me the message looks like the HDD is powering down, which is pretty typical behaviour for a "portable" HDD. If you've got things setup so that the HDD is intermittently accessed then you could see this a lot as the drive constantly sleeps and wakes. That's why portable HDD's are not a good choice for "NAS-type" setups.

Sometimes the HDD comes with a utility that allows you to turn off the power-saving features. Alternatively, some filesystems like ext4 are constantly updating their journal so that prevents the drive from ever sleeping (depending on the precise intervals).