What's new

Kick user off the wifi network, how to?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rmart

New Around Here
I'm running an ASUS RT-AC87U and I see an unknown MAC address in the client list. I don't know who it belongs to or what it is as hovering over the Icon just shows Loading manufacturer... forever.
So, I figured I'd just kick it off and see who ends up being disconnected or what stops working but there's no option to do so in the client list.

Is there a way?

About once a month this exact question comes up over and over.... :)

Block them, change your SSID and or password. If it still connects it's one of your own devices.

In any case, unless your post your connection info on your front door, it is likely as Tech9 has already said.

Thanks for the responses. I thought the MAC address was physically tied to the device.
Any input on how to block the device? I don't see an option to do so directly in the client list.

Thanks.

It's most likely as Tech9 said. Dunno all "mobile devices" but Apple devices have a "Private Wi-Fi address" feature which gives-out a fake MAC. I turn this off on all my iGizmos so I can keep track of them.

Or it may be an "old" connection that the router reports inaccurately.

Any input on how to block the device? I don't see an option to do so directly in the client list.
Why not block the device MAC address via the Wireless > Wireless MAC Filter section.
[Wireless] How to set up Wireless MAC Filter?
wirelessmacfilter.jpg

If you set the MAC Filter Mode to Reject then add the offending MAC address it should drop the specific device that matches the MAC address.
Reject : Will reject clients with MAC address in the list.

It's most likely as Tech9 said. Dunno all "mobile devices" but Apple devices have a "Private Wi-Fi address" feature which gives-out a fake MAC. I turn this off on all my iGizmos so I can keep track of them.

Or it may be an "old" connection that the router reports inaccurately.
As does Android now, and it's also an optional feature on windoze.

might be better to whitelist the clients, turn off mac randimization for this network, and go from there.

Any input on how to block the device?
As mentioned, just change the SSID password. If it reconnects with your new password, it's one of your devices.

But then you have to change every other client's WiFi setup!
If you truly feel someone not authorized is connected to your wifi, then that remains your best option.

However, it would be unlikely that is the actual problem. It is more likely the issue already described.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!