What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marcelosun

New Around Here
Hi all, I try to ask you because I did a lot of checks but solution seems not be so easy.
I summarize the scenario:
1) Network configuration: ADSL Router --> Netgear R7000 Router (1GBit/s LAN) --> NetworkSpaceMAX NAS (1 GBit LAN). Transfer rate from wi-fi very good with NAS.
2) 1 week ago NAS began to connect to router in 100Mbit/s. What I tried:
a. change cable
b. reset router firmware
c. tried to connect NAS to all router LAN ports
d. connect my pc to router and connection was at Gigabit speed
e. reset NAS firmware
No action solved the problem; in this moment NAS is connected to 100 Mbit/s and it is too slow for my needs
3) some additional information:
- initially NAS was configured for fixed IP; now is configured for DHCP but on router I assign a fixed IP based on MAC address
- sometimes NAS connects at Gigabit speed but in this case when I try to launch ping command some packets seems to be lost and other correctly received (about 50%); for this reason, connection is not stable and NAS services (e.g.: SAMBA server) cannot be used. Trying to reboot NAS it switches to 100Mbit and connection became stable

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

One more thing to try is to set a static IP on the NAS and computer and directly connect them.

Sounds like the port has gone bad on the NAS.

One more thing to try is to set a static IP on the NAS and computer and directly connect them.

Sounds like the port has gone bad on the NAS.

Yes, I think so. But I'm very surprised of that, also because the NAS has not worked hard (always off, 2-3 hours of power-on per week). How should I be sure that the problem is on the physical port of the NAS?

Thanks

First thought here is a bad cable... cables do go bad, it's rare, but it happens. Don't swap the port, swap the cable.

Second thought is that somehow the port might have got zapped on the LaCie box...

Last thought here - power supply on the NAS itself - you'd be surprised, but a lot of issues in SOHO are related to those little wall-warts...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!