What's new

LAN to LAN secure tunnel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

restorestore

New Around Here
I administer some county level IT stuff and included in that is some LAN to LAN IPSEC tunnel setups using Cyberoam UTM appliances and also some Cyberoam to CISCO setups.

They work great.:cool:

I have a customer who is aware of this setup and its advantages and he wants me to set him up a LAN to LAN tunnel between his home network and his office network. He is a technophile and has tons of techy toys and so on. He works from home a lot too.

Rather than have him buy some way-overkill hardware I was thinking about using some dual ethernet mini-PCs. Either make him a sort of UTM to replace his routers at his home and office and set up a tunnel between them or use them to set up a tunnel of some kind behind the routers he has. The latter probably wouldn't work how he wants though.

Both LAN have multiple PCs and NAS. He will probably do file and printer sharing over it, remote screen, and maybe H264 based video chat. He has fast internet in both places.

The dual NIC mini pcs are cheap and good now and there are a number of promising linux distros that allow you to roll your own UTM.

Suggestions?

Any hardware or software recommendations?

Anyone already done this?

Any routers or 3rd party router firmwares already do this? (do it well?)

Am I crazy?

This needs to be reliable and low maintenance. And secure.

Ummm, any VPN router will do that. There are a few consumer routers that have VPN support, and plenty of inexpensive VPN routers (TP-Link has a line, as does Zyxel). They'll do IPSEC tunneling pretty easily and the "lower" end ones are only $50-60, though at that price, only expect maybe 15-20Mbps performance. The mid grade $100-150 can manage up in the 40-60Mbps range though.