What's new

LG OLED C8 and RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

terribell

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'm going crazy trying to solve the compatibility issues between these devices.

The problem I get is that after a while the C8 stops getting network access from the RT-AC68U.
Both are on the latest firmware available, on the router it's Merlin 384.16

When the problem occurs the TV settings still see the network as connected but I can't get any websites on the TV browser or the TV apps to connect to their service.

I've tried wifi (both 2.4 and 5Ghz) and ethernet cable (multiple cables), putting a fixed IP on both the router and the TV sides.

I've tried resetting both the TV and router to factory defaults.

All my other devices work without any issues, multiple windows 10 pcs, android phones and tablets, a Shield TV, receivers, network speakers and the only one with problems is the TV.
I even called LG support and they replaced the main board but the problem remain.

The TV connected to another router works perfectly, I've tried 2 others, that were not ASUS as I don't have access to another ASUS router.
I'm really without any ideas on what else to try.

Any one got this combination of devices and have faced something similar?
Or does anyone have some idea on what I can try?

Thanks in advance for everything.

Hi,

I'm going crazy trying to solve the compatibility issues between these devices.

The problem I get is that after a while the C8 stops getting network access from the RT-AC68U.
Both are on the latest firmware available, on the router it's Merlin 384.16

When the problem occurs the TV settings still see the network as connected but I can't get any websites on the TV browser or the TV apps to connect to their service.

I've tried wifi (both 2.4 and 5Ghz) and ethernet cable (multiple cables), putting a fixed IP on both the router and the TV sides.

I've tried resetting both the TV and router to factory defaults.

All my other devices work without any issues, multiple windows 10 pcs, android phones and tablets, a Shield TV, receivers, network speakers and the only one with problems is the TV.
I even called LG support and they replaced the main board but the problem remain.

The TV connected to another router works perfectly, I've tried 2 others, that were not ASUS as I don't have access to another ASUS router.
I'm really without any ideas on what else to try.

Any one got this combination of devices and have faced something similar?
Or does anyone have some idea on what I can try?

Thanks in advance for everything.

I don't know... how about trying a switch between the TV and the router.

OE

I have had issues like that with the LG OLED B6 until I turned off the fast restart feature.
It only takes 10 seconds extra or so for the smart functions to come up without it but network is stable.
Before it would lose DHCP information after a while and pop up a lot of 'network disconnected' messages - regardless of wireless or wifi use....
So in my case the culprit was the TV...

I have had issues like that with the LG OLED B6 until I turned off the fast restart feature.
It only takes 10 seconds extra or so for the smart functions to come up without it but network is stable.
Before it would lose DHCP information after a while and pop up a lot of 'network disconnected' messages - regardless of wireless or wifi use....
So in my case the culprit was the TV...

I'll try this again, I had this disabled before the TV reset to factory defaults.

Hi John,
Thanks for all the effort on your firmware, I still use it on an old RT-N66.

The wireless log has the TV as LGwebOSTV, should this be changed?
No, that's OK. Just wanted to make sure that LG didn't follow in Samsung's steps and assign a reserved name for their device (Samsung assigned 'localhost' on their TVs).

No, that's OK. Just wanted to make sure that LG didn't follow in Samsung's steps and assign a reserved name for their device (Samsung assigned 'localhost' on their TVs).

Thanks for the help anyway.

I've tried all the suggestions and it's still very inconsistent.
Can't get to the cause...
It should be the TV but what to set on the router or the TV to have it stable...

The only other silly thing I can think of is that some devices get upset if you are not using their hardcoded DNS servers. What does the TV say it's using for it's DNS server?
Are you using DNSFilter?

Last edited:
@terribell, you don't have to be shy around us. This is to justify a reason for a new TV, correct? :)

The only other silly thing I can think of is that some devices get upset if you are not using their hardcoded DNS servers. What does the TV say it's using for it's DNS server?
Are you using DNSFilter?

The TV is using the router IP as DNS Server and I'm using DNSFilter to enforce the router DNS on the devices.

I have C8 and had this issue long ago. Make sure you are on the latest firmware (TV). Also , make sure you are not using Auto channel in Wireless settings. Use Auto once , to find a good channel and then choose this channel manually (disabling Auto channel) and choose Channel bandwidth 80 Mhz , don't use 'smart connect' or any setting which changes your wifi . You can also assign an IP address in router settings and use static ip settings

Manually set the channel for both bands.

Start with 2.4 band and set it to Legacy. You might have latest TV, but many of them use older WiFi nic cards.
Try older firmware’s. If you find firmware that works, then report the issue with newer firmware.

Try Legacy on 5ghz band with firmware xxx.16
If it doesn’t work, try older firmware. If older firmware works on legacy, try N/AC setting. If N/AC setting works with older firmware, report the issue to Merlin.

Not sure why you are having issues when you are hard wired with a lan cable. Re-download the firmware from Merlins site and reflash the router. Another user resolved a different issue by re-downloading the firmware.

Start with, re- Download the firmware while wired to router. Upload new firmware to router while wired to router via lan cable.

Any time your dog uses a microwave while you are downloading or uploading things over WiFi, is enough to corrupt 1kb of date in a file. And a 1kb data corruption in a firmware, could cause all kind of issues compared to streaming Netflix while microwave is On.
Yes it’s a lot of work. Personally I enjoy it and I Wright down every change I make on paper to keep track of it.

Last edited:
@KGB7, I've seen a few weird and uncanny things in my customers' homes, but a dog using a microwave hasn't been one of them! :eek::p:D:D:D

I'd try setting the TV to No Filtering mode and see if it helps. Maybe also try with the TV forced to the Google server.

The DNS Filtering was the cause, removed it for all clients and I'm trying to check if I still need it.

At this moment it is working with ethernet cable and without the DNS Filtering.

Thanks for the ideas!