What's new

News LG SmartTV - WebOS privilege escalation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kudos to Dan Goodin over at ArsTechnica...

If you have an LG WebOS based set, might want to check for firmware updates

often wondered how often and for how long these smart TV'S would be updated . one of the reasons I have a 'stupid' tv with an antenna , don't watch much tv hurts to watch when I go out to a friends house and see what garbage is on tv

I've got a LG OLED B2 series, but I don't connect it to the network - works fine without the internet...

This is a classic Mac site, but he stays on top of LG updates, so this is helpful..

If I owned an LG TV then I would update it and remove internet access. I don't trust TVs with computer software to keep it updated. Wait, this is what I do with my Sony. It has no internet access except when I update the software. I use an AppleTV, the latest, to keep up with security. I figure Apple is a better bet than an old TV for security.

I've got a LG OLED B2 series, but I don't connect it to the network - works fine without the internet...

This is a classic Mac site, but he stays on top of LG updates, so this is helpful..

Too, just for updating the TV is connected to the Internet.

Remember "Smart = hackable" :)

Also the LG OLEDs itself got a lot of scam advertise after some newer updates which have a lot of users and reviews complaint against.

Plus they have announced in news some time ago that thy will release a whole new TV WEB OS after the CES.
Havent seen any News about this update until now :rolleyes:
LG plans to release the update in early 2024 as part of its webOS Re:New program, which will include better interface customization, a Quick Card UI feature and improved security parameters, making these LG TVs feel fresh and new.