What's new

Linksys E4200 V2 won't connect through GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Torstenlaw

New Around Here
Here's my issue. Connected the router through a LAN port directly to my laptop, but can't get in using 192.168.1.1. The yellow light flashes for traffic, but the browser can't find the software.

I've done a 30-30-30 reset and still nothing. Firewall is completely off and not connected to my regular network. I'm trying to set this up for an access point attached to my Asus AC66U by turning off the DHCP and giving it a static IP.

Using Win 7 on a DELL Studio laptop. The router was working previously.

Here's my issue. Connected the router through a LAN port directly to my laptop, but can't get in using 192.168.1.1. The yellow light flashes for traffic, but the browser can't find the software.

I've done a 30-30-30 reset and still nothing. Firewall is completely off and not connected to my regular network. I'm trying to set this up for an access point attached to my Asus AC66U by turning off the DHCP and giving it a static IP.

Using Win 7 on a DELL Studio laptop. The router was working previously.

The reason you can't get in the GUI is because the E4200v2 has daemon that automatically changes the default IP of 192.168.1.1 to 10.x.x.x when it detects a double nat on same subnet. It does this to prevent IP address conflicts. The Asus router also has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1.

1. Update the E4200v2 to smart wifi firmware using the upgrade utitlity from Linksys support site. You don't have to create a smart wifi account as it is optional. You'll get better wireless throughput with the smart wifi firmware.

2. Disconnect the E4200v2 from the Asus router. Then reset the E4200v2 to factory default.

3. Configure the E4200v2 when it's not connected to the Asus router. I recommend you use bridge mode (which is what I use for my linksys)
See instructions below. Make sure you use "specify an IP address" because there's a bug in the other method.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=94&vw=1&articleid=25714

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...tting_up_the_Linksys_E4200_in_bridge_mode.xml

Other ways to cascade can be found below:

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...45b08d615f_3733.xml&pid=94&converted=0#lanwan

Last edited:
Ok, I got back on to the router! Thanks Jlake!

I didn't want to use the bridge method as it will slow the wireless down. I'm going to try and use an IP outside of the main router (AC66U) IP's and the "route" to the secondary router.

Ok, I got back on to the router! Thanks Jlake!

I didn't want to use the bridge method as it will slow the wireless down. I'm going to try and use an IP outside of the main router (AC66U) IP's and the "route" to the secondary router.

You're confusing "bridge mode" found in the stock firmware with a client bridge or a repeater.

The bridge mode method that I gave you the link for is NOT a repeater and will NOT slow down the wireless.

The instructions for the bridge mode is by far the best method to use when you want the E4200v2 to be an AP on the same subnet.

It's better than the LAN-to-LAN cascade.

With bridge mode, you connect the ethernet cable coming from the Asus to the linksys' WAN port (internet port).

<<sigh>>

I have my Asus router as the main router at 192.168.45.1. The linksys is in bridge mode at 192.168.45.2
The ethernet cable coming from the Asus is connected to the Linksys WAN port as per the instructions.

Does the Linksys in bridge mode have to have an IP within the range of the main router IP's it uses for devices?

Does the Linksys in bridge mode have to have an IP within the range of the main router IP's it uses for devices?

Yes. Check out those instructions.

If your main router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 then you give the bridge mode linksys router an IP address of 192.168.1.x. Where x=2-253

I think the example they use in the linksys instructions is 192.168.1.43

On my Asus router, I change the DHCP pool to 192.168.1.100-149, so I have 192.168.1.2-99 for static addresses. (Example)