What's new

Long range 5.2 GHz buying advice: ASUS AC87u Vs AC3100/AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You mean RT-AC88U? (8 LAN port) I wouldn't buy RT-AC3100 (same as RT-AC88U but with only 4x LAN ports) for the price difference.
I was actually thinking RT-AC3100. I don't really need the 8 LAN ports and the AC88U seems awfully difficult to find here in Canada (not sure why!).

Are there any other differences between teh models other than the extra LAN ports?

I don't see any official EOL disclosure on Linksys E8350, though they only released 4 FWs on that model, being the latest dated NOV 15.

The E8350's pretty much disappeared off the typical big-box shelves (BestBuy, Fry's, etc) and showed up for a while in Costco - mostly to dump inventory at a good price.

You mean RT-AC88U? (8 LAN port) I wouldn't buy RT-AC3100 (same as RT-AC88U but with only 4x LAN ports) for the price difference.

Market availability - not all markets got both the Rt-AC3100 and RT-AC88U - both do have the updated FCC limits for 5GHz, which is nice, not sure if that fell over into the other regulatory domains...

If you want long range I would suggest the TP-Link Archer C3150. I had the Asus C3100 and the TP-Link, I tested both and the TP-Links has MUCH better range. The Asus C3100 had the same range as my old Asus 1900P that I was replacing. Keep in mind I run pfsense so all my WiFi Routers as set as Access Points. I'm also in Canada and bought them from Canada Computers which has/had the TP-Link on special for $199, the Asus is $329. If you can, buy both and you can see the difference in range yourself, then return the one with less range/speed.

FWIW - there's another vendor that does really well for longer range support - and decent capacity (and no, it's not Apple)...

In AP mode, the WRT's are interesting...

To sum things up, it sounds like an 88U/3100 would be a good start. Then if wifi comes up short, you can drop in a whole-house mesh product in bridge mode, keeping the 3100 for routing/switching duty, and either leave the 3100's wifi enabled for out-of-band management via wifi, or turn it off. Or return the 3100 and use the mesh system for routing as well. Either way, this approach minimizes waste, should you need to add more gear later.

Or, if you have the skill and a few grand lying around, drop in a solid wired router, core and access switching, cabling and a couple Ruckus APs and be done with it. Joking of course....... ;) or am I? :D

Do this get the latest ie 3100 and pair with tp link re450 to extend the 5ghz network

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

does anyone know if its true that using Aimesh node is better than setting up a 2nd router as a repeater because aimesh does not sacrifice speed or bandwidth to make the connection?

does anyone know if its true that using Aimesh node is better than setting up a 2nd router as a repeater because aimesh does not sacrifice speed or bandwidth to make the connection?
If you use WIFI backhaul it does not matter unless you use tri band routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!