What's new

Long range 5.2 GHz buying advice: ASUS AC87u Vs AC3100/AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qutrit

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I would love to pick the brain of the more knowledgeable members of this community since I have been doing research for a while without finding what I was looking for.

I am looking to acquire a router that can handle some degree of customization. Based on the kind of things I need it for, I was thinking of the following two options: a cheaper AC87u and a more expensive AC3100 (that shares specs with AC88U but with fewer lan ports, that I don't need anyways).

My main concern is wifi 5.2 GHz range and stability. I wouldn't mind paying more if there is a noticeable difference in range and stability, but the problem is that I don't seem to be able to find comparisons between these models.

I was wondering if you could offer some advice or point me to some data where the 5.1GHz range and throughput are compared somewhere.

Also, seems that both models are rather old themselves in terms of release dates (2014 and 2015 respectively, correct), and I was wondering if it is known if there are other routers in the works that may be worth waiting for?

Anyhow, I would be very grateful if someone more knowledgeable could lend some advice :). Thanks so much in advance!

Edit: I saw your link! thanks a lot. I misunderstood you. That is helpful. How about 5.1 GhZ coverage? is there any such plot that shows range? I assume the atenuation curves would be giving information about the range correct? will I be right interpreting that the range would be extremely similar for these two models?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What are you trying to accomplish? 5GHz range will be heavily influenced/impacted on any obstructions within its path. So even if you get a router with great transmit power and range, your client device may not have the same abilities.

Basically "wishng to do it with one router" mind set should be revised. Think "Law of Physics"

So if the suggestion is to install access points, my main fear (out of lack of experience) is that I end up having non-seamless transitions between one AP and the main router or another AP. for the kind of use that I want it I would need that a client could move from one point to another with a nice and smooth handoff and without experiencing momentary loss of signal.

Is that something easy to implement?

If you require a low level of customization and need 5GHz coverage, consider what TonyH said and look at one of the mesh/star whole home solutions with "advanced" settings. If you need a high amount of customization, consider a DDWRT/Tomato/OpenWRT capable router and running a whole home mesh/star solution in access point mode.

I assume the atenuation curves would be giving information about the range correct? will I be right interpreting that the range would be extremely similar for these two models?
Yes, the two products would have essentially the same range. Range is determined by the point that the plots stop.

Remember the 87 uses the JUNK quantenna chip set for 5 ghz. I would stay far away from the 87. The 3100 is a much better router in my opinion bought mine in Nov of 2015 and no issues.

Thanks thiggins! that's very helpful!

Remember the 87 uses the JUNK quantenna chip set for 5 ghz. I would stay far away from the 87. The 3100 is a much better router in my opinion bought mine in Nov of 2015 and no issues.

Thanks for bringing this up! yes I have seen around some posts about the Quantenna chipset being horrible in the 87U. However what I saw was all very vague and my understanding was that most problems were fixed in some driver upgrade? is that not the case? I would really thank very much if someone could tell me what are the problems/limitations of the 87U.

The fact is that I was recommended these two models regarding their 5Gz range, and I can get a really cheap 87U for sale now, or buy a new 3100. The second one I'm still a bit hesitant since the model is a bit old (2015) and I'm not sure if new dual band routers better than these will appear soon.

However knowing more about the concrete 5Ghz problems that the 87U may have, and whether they have been solved in a later firmware update will help me decide! Thanks so much in advance! :)

Thanks for bringing this up! yes I have seen around some posts about the Quantenna chipset being horrible in the 87U. However what I saw was all very vague and my understanding was that most problems were fixed in some driver upgrade? is that not the case? I would really thank very much if someone could tell me what are the problems/limitations of the 87U.

The fact is that I was recommended these two models regarding their 5Gz range, and I can get a really cheap 87U for sale now, or buy a new 3100. The second one I'm still a bit hesitant since the model is a bit old (2015) and I'm not sure if new dual band routers better than these will appear soon.

The RT-AC3100 is a good bet if one desires an Asus product - the 88U is the same device, but with 4 extra ports, and the RT-AC5300 is the same, but adding an extra 5GHz radio...

The RT-AC87U - it's interesting, but not necessarily in a good way - some folks have no problems/issues with it, and some have had nothing but problems - it's hit or miss on that device - it's mostly down to how Asus (and others) integrated the Quantenna 5GHz chip on to the device, and Quantenna's experience with the consumer market - not saying anything bad against Quantenna - they're pretty strong in the vertical space, and the chipsets themselves, they're ok...

Anyways - for a BHR, the RT-AC3100 is worth a good look at.

Be prepared for more Quantenna soon on RT-AC96x new model, this time will be on both bands 2.4 and 5GHZ chipset, QSR10G (10GBit) wireless.

Be prepared for more Quantenna soon on RT-AC96x new model, this time will be on both bands 2.4 and 5GHZ chipset, QSR10G (10GBit) wireless.

Might be fine actually - most of the 87U issues were due to integration with Broadcom and the rush to market with a big numbers device for marketing...

Indeed, but at least we didn't saw from ASUS the same aproach as Netgear, EOL on R7500 after less than 2 years, quite a disgrace.

Last edited:
I don't see any official EOL disclosure on Linksys E8350, though they only released 4 FWs on that model, being the latest dated NOV 15.

Oh boy, my dear ASUS... > 10 available FWs and counting (latest FW MAR 17) on RT-AC87U, if there's still any doubts on what's a real support brand, it's ASUS.

Last edited:
Does that mean that there are new asus routers in the works appearing soon? perhaps something to consider before making a decision myself... will they be in the same league as the AC-3100? also, where can I find info about these new models? don't seem to be able to find it anywhere

There are several new models being in production, that one will be released only in 2019 or so, the lastest model being released "soon" is GT-AC5300, which is also a great device.

RT-AC96x is a 10GBit wireless device, so definitely is other league... :D

Last edited:
There are several new models being in production, that one will be released only in 2019 or so, the lastest model being released "soon" is GT-AC5300, which is also a great device.

RT-AC96x is a 10GBit wireless device, so definitely is other league... :D

Awesome... I think that after all your advice I'm going to go with the AC-3100 for now and see what happens. Thanks for all the warnings about the 87U.

Quick question! where can one find information about all those new devices? when I google RT-AC96x, interestingly enough, the only meaningful hit I got is this post :p

You mean RT-AC88U? (8 LAN port) I wouldn't buy RT-AC3100 (same as RT-AC88U but with only 4x LAN ports) for the price difference.