What's new

Looking for a script to reboot AIMESH nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pergola Fabio

Hi, i have 2 rt-ac86u as nodes, those devices do have sometimes 2.4 issues
I was looking for a way to include a script, to reboot those devices like every 2 weeks

Who can help me with that?

Rebooting the main router, with the reboot scheduler doesnt help, seems it only reboots the primary

thnx in advance

if you have Asuswrt-merlin also installed on the AiMesh nodes, you could ssh into them and add a cron job to /jffs/scripts/services-start.

Something like

cru a BiWeeklyReboot “0 0 */14 * * /sbin/service reboot”

Should do a reboot at midnight every 14 days.

Noted, @JGrana has already, directly, answered the question. :)

What firmware are the routers on? What troubleshooting steps have you tried to fix the 2.4GHz issue directly?

What is the main router model? What firmware is it running? Are 2x RT-AC86U AiMesh nodes really needed in your home? Have you tested with one or the other turned off?

Are these using wired, or wireless backhaul? What are the distances between all the routers? How many floors/levels are being serviced?

Noted, @JGrana has already, directly, answered the question. :)

What firmware are the routers on? What troubleshooting steps have you tried to fix the 2.4GHz issue directly?

What is the main router model? What firmware is it running? Are 2x RT-AC86U AiMesh nodes really needed in your home? Have you tested with one or the other turned off?

Are these using wired, or wireless backhaul? What are the distances between all the routers? How many floors/levels are being serviced?
Main router is an ac88u running Merlin, nodes are 86u Running stock...

Well the common issues , those devices suck on 2.4, after about 2 - 3 weeks , devices can't connect anymore , complain about bad password... While it's not offcourse... Or the wifi speed is terrible slow, like a copy speed of like 0,1 mbit...
A simple reboot of that specific node fixes it...

Only happens on 2.4, the 5ghz is stable...

Tried those beamforming or airtime settings, doesnt help, fixing channels doesn't help, 20 - 40 fixed or auto, doesn't help... No neighbors, no interferences here...

Those 86u just have issues with 2.4 and I still have devices that need it

if you have Asuswrt-merlin also installed on the AiMesh nodes, you could ssh into them and add a cron job to /jffs/scripts/services-start.

Something like

cru a BiWeeklyReboot “0 0 */14 * * /sbin/service reboot”

Should do a reboot at midnight every 14 days.
Hi, is there also a possibly to reboot them when they have stock firmware? Maybe an ssh from the main to the node in somekind of script to reboot them?

I would suggest that you reconfigure your network.

The main router should be one of the RT-AC86Us, not the weaker RT-AC88U.

You may not even need the RT-AC88U as a node anymore, either. Depending on how you can relocate the two RT-AC86Us.

No, need the 88u on main location , need those 8 ports... But it doesnt mather , before without running mesh, I had the same wifi issues , so not mesh related...
Reconfigure doesnt help either

But the questions is about how to reboot the nodes with a script, if they run stock... I'm tired of flashing/ reconfigure, those 2.4 always gives issues... It's not normal that every 3 weeks my devices are complaining that the wifi password is incorrect

A $10 switch addresses the need for the ports.

If the hardware is faulty on 2.4GHz, it would be causing issues always, not every three weeks.

I don't believe that it is a hardware issue.

The (full) re-configuration of the network is where a possible solution is indicated. Not just parts of it, but all, from the ground up.

Already tried full reconfigurations and firmwarr resets, stock vs Merlin, those 86u models always give issues... The 88u is configured the same way, no issue

Hi, is there also a possibly to reboot them when they have stock firmware? Maybe an ssh from the main to the node in somekind of script to reboot them?
Im not too familer with stock firmware (havent’ run stock in a few years).
Not sure if you can ssh into a stock firmware node, but Im pretty sure this no /jffs/scripts/services-start.
I think your out of luck with stock.

As @L&LD and others have said, you might be better off seeing why the nodes have problems with the 2.4Ghz band. It looks like you have done quite a bit of debugging.
If both nodes seem to have the same problem, maybe it’s the Mesh master.
BTW, are you using Guest Networks? If so, avoid Guest Network 1 (it’s an oddball used for AiMesh things).

i know, but keep on topic :) ,i started this thread how its possible to reboot node
and the cause is not the mesh router btw, i started with 1 single router ac86u 2 years ago, always had 2.4 wifi issues with those btw, doesnt mather what settings/firmware.
seems lots of users on this forum have the exact problem as me, also with 86u... onlt reboot helps

but anwyay, with the stock , i can just SSH into those devices, no problem at all, if i then do a "reboot" command, they restart...
so maybe a script to implement on main router, thats doing a reboot through SSH on those nodes? is that possible you think?

tnx

Ok, keeping on topic.

As long as you have Entware installed on your 88u, you could try to install “empty”

I believe stock firmware supports telnet; if it does you should be able to use empty to look for the login prompt, send your password then send the line: “/sbin/service reboot”

Keep in mind, if you do this in a script, your password will be exposed in it.

Good luck!

My suggestions are on-topic and based on the fact that I don't have a single customer with 2.4GHz band issues with the RT-AC86U model.

Neither do I recall any other threads where it has remained an issue for so long (as in your case) either.

Well, I do hope the answers that @JGrana provided directly answered your queries.

Well wishes and Happy Holidays!

this one as example, same issues as me, never resolved

That's not the same as you're reporting.

That radio (eventually) died. Yours keeps resurrecting itself. :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!