What's new

Looking for QoS Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sharbe

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I fail to find the right QoS Settings on my ASUS RT-AC66U.

I have a NAS for some NZB/Usenet downloads set to lowest priority
and my Samsung TV Mac address to highest priority to enable undisturbed streaming via the samsung apps e.g. amazon Lovefilm, Pupat TV or any other streamings.

My DSL download capacity limit is around 520 KB/s.

With these settings (see attachments) the streaming unfortunately is stuttering and downloads for the Samsung TV drops to 80 - 150 KB/s while the NAS is downloading any files.

Your help is very appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• QoS_Rule_List.jpg
    QoS_Rule_List.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 641
  • QoS_UserDefinedPriorities.jpg
    QoS_UserDefinedPriorities.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 562
  • QoS_Traffic.jpg
    QoS_Traffic.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 329
How come there is no destination port entered for lovefilm?

If you want all ports to be covered under your rules, you need to enter 1:65535

Hi,
My idea of QOS is mixed bag. First QOS uses router resources quite a bit. Second it is like a take some give some deal. Usually I recommend people don't bother with it unless they want to really get the benefit of using it. Then it'll take quite some time to set it up to your satisfaction. On my R7000, it took me almost 3 day's tinkering until I reached my goal. BTW, my cable is 50/3 package plus TV and phone.

How come there is no destination port entered for lovefilm?

If you want all ports to be covered under your rules, you need to enter 1:65535

If I set value for protocol to "any" the destination port value will be deleted and you are not able to enter any value. I guess "any" will cover all ports!
But I will give it a try and change to TCP/UDP and set the port range. Unfortunately I was not able to find any information about the ports used for Lovefilm.

... it took me almost 3 day's tinkering until I reached my goal. ...
it took me 5 day's tinkering before I post this thread here ... ;)

current results of my tinkering ;) it never ends

config doesn't include 53/udp/highest and 53/tcp/high because i recently installed dnscrypt

auto-page down/up limits are set to 20/20, though my connection is 10/768kbit

Attachments

• qos0.jpg
    qos0.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 567
  • qos1.JPG
    qos1.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
wow... :D

Try this - back up your configuration first, so you can restore...

One Rule - put the video and games sources has high, everything else to low - and don't do bandwidth reservations for any of the target classes...

less rules - better...

Not sure about the Asus implementation here - but usually with rulesets, the order of the rule is also significant.

give that a try...

I gave that a try, setting TV to highest and NAS to lowest, but it did not help.
Then I entered the Source IP and set port 80,443 to highest and that helped me for Amazon Instant Video/Lovefilm.
Then I checked it with Putpat TV, which is using the same ports (showing under System Log - Active Connections) and ... stuttering.

Anyway, I am happy that Lovefilm will work with my current settings and will continue to tinker :)