What's new

Looking for wireless router under $100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

toyopl

New Around Here
I'm looking for a router under $100, ideal price would be $60-70 but I can pay full houndred if that means getting major upgrade or something that shouldn't be passed.

I have 2 laptops, one with N card and one with G card. The N is always connected to the modem as it's my desktop replacement, ocassionally I will use wireless.
The G is always on wireless and it's my gf's laptop, she doesn't do any heavy tasks, light browsing, youtube, video streaming.
I pay extra for faster internet at 30mb/s for gaming and downloading. So I would like to still keep that speed when connected to the router via cable with the N laptop.
There's too many routers and too many options :p

If the N laptop is always connected via an ethernet cable to the router, then speed is determined by the wired port, not the wireless radio. In theory, 100Mb/sec ports will be fine if the ISP is providing 30Mb/sec. Some would argue for gigabit ethernet. Many ISPs only ship devices with 10/100 ports. You may want to check your device to be sure. If it's 10/100, a gigabit router won't help your internet speeds.

If the wireless speed for the N laptop isn't important, then you only need a G router. The N laptop will work as a G device when the cable is disconnected.

This solution is very inexpensive, with many, many options below $50 or even $30, especially if you don't mind refurbished devices. People who have switched away from a VOIP carrier like Vonage probably have a wireless G router with an internal switch collecting dust in a closet. Others who have upgraded to N routers probably have their G or draft-N router w/switch collecting dust in a closet as well.

If the wireless speed for the N laptop _is_ important (it didn't sound like it), and you want to get as much speed as possible over wireless, then you need a solution that serves the N laptop separately from the G laptop, otherwise for the G laptop to work at the same time, the N laptop will have to play nice and operate in G mode, slowing it down. That means using 2 separate radios. The G radio will work in the 2.4GHz range, and the N radio can work in the 2.4GHz (more devices around that may cause interference) or 5GHz (higher potential speeds, less conflicting devices) range. If you want 1 router to serve both laptops and get max speeds, you'll need simultaneous dual-band support. I'm not sure you can meet your ideal price point without accepting refurbished equipment, but it may be possible.

I can't make a recommendation since I don't own anything yet, but Netgear, Linksys and D-Link all have popular, suitable models

I'm looking for a router under $100, ideal price would be $60-70 but I can pay full houndred if that means getting major upgrade or something that shouldn't be passed.

I have 2 laptops, one with N card and one with G card. The N is always connected to the modem as it's my desktop replacement, ocassionally I will use wireless.
The G is always on wireless and it's my gf's laptop, she doesn't do any heavy tasks, light browsing, youtube, video streaming.
I pay extra for faster internet at 30mb/s for gaming and downloading. So I would like to still keep that speed when connected to the router via cable with the N laptop.
There's too many routers and too many options :p

That one looks like it's 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but you'll need to run it at 2.4GHz to support the G laptop. In that case, when the N laptop is not wired, it will act as a G device since the G laptop will force that behavior.

The E2000 looks like a fine device, but you can get a 10/100 switched 2.4GHz G router solution for cheaper at the same site (many below $40):
http://www.ncix.com/products/?minorcatid=1051&po=0&ps=2

If the total bandwidth need is in the range of 30Mb/s (your internet feed), and the N wireless performance is not a priority since it's usually wired, and if the N laptops wireless performance is "good enough" in G mode, it appears that almost any current G routers can serve your needs (looking at the router charts on this site for total bandwidth). I'd check a few sites for reviews, and potentially save some money.

It's about another $80-$100 from there to get a simultaneous dual-band router that supports both the N and G laptops at their respective peak speeds at the same time.

I'm guessing I'd rather get something better just in case...

Is this a good router ? Linksys E2000 for Canada that's very good price on it.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=55436&vpn=E2000-CA&manufacture=Linksys&promoid=1026

In general, IMO, people are over-spending on WiFi routers, buying capability not needed or that is incompatible with client PCs/laptops.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!