What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin_KM

New Around Here
Hello! First time posting, so please excuse any oversights!

I'm looking to upgrade to AX with one of the options currently available. At the same time, I have a Gigabit plan with Xfinity/Comcast through an SB8200 cable modem. My ultimate goal is to aggregate the 2 ports on the SB8200 to an AX capable router. (Finally breaking the 935-40 mbps barrier)

My Plan as it stands:
Purchase either a Netgear RAX120 (Even though WAN aggregation isn't advertised on the website, I've found several reports of it working with a new firmware update) for its WPA3 support. Or an RT-AX88U. (I currently have an AC88U. Have had a long and positive history with Asus routers and Merlin firmware)

Netgear: WPA3 - Security conscious, work in an industry where it's valuable to me.
Asus: Familiar with the firmware, GUI's, and quirks.

Do you foresee and obvious compatibility issues with the proposed setup? Issues from the ISP side? I'm expecting a fair amount of hiccups during the setup process, (I enjoy solving them tbh) but i'm hoping to avoid any obvious pitfalls.

I know there is a significant cost difference between these 2 options, but i'm putting that to the side. But my primary concern is getting past the 935 barrier.

I have looked pretty far and wide for someone who has done this already and have come up empty handed. It's possible and likely I missed the one forum post I needed, but I haven't found it yet.

I sincerely appreciate any input or advice. Thank you!

You are still only going to get a WAN to LAN throughput of 940. You would need Static IP’s to use both ports to start out, unless you have the newest firmware. Even with an over provision of 1200mbps, that is at burst in a lab environment. Real world has too many variables that will not allow for you to achieve anything over the 940 at this time with Ethernet. Wifi has too much overhead to get close to those speeds.

Now for media streaming in the home or heavy Wifi use in an Enterprise, WIFI 6 is the direction to go. You are starting to see more devices leaving Ethernet in the dust with WIFI connections being more of the primary means of connection.

It does appear that there are still issues with getting LAG to be stable with that modem. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r3...0-Firmware-Update-now-allows-link-aggregation

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!