What's new

Loooking for VPN for Asus 86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kev7274

Regular Contributor
I'm running that latest build of Merlin and now I am looking for a VPN to use.

I have looked at Nordvpn,Expressvpn and Strongvpn. Wanted to see what you guys were using and if there were others I am missing.

There will be only 1 maybe 2 devices that will use the VPN at all times.

Any of these:
- Perfect Privacy
- VPN.AC
- VPNArea
- ExpressVPN (not sure about this because is located in 14 Eyes countries)
-
NordVPN (only if you do not want to do something illegal)

Why I do not like NordVPN:
1. Panama Jurisdiction
2. Latinos.. we are trash and traitors, we do not keep our word.
3. You can be sure that they send the complete log to the United States, if they request it.
4. Is definitely good if you do not want to do some illegal stuff... ;)

I recommend you read this:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
Looks like restoreprivacy ranked Expressvpn #1. Perfect Privacy also looks good.

Last edited:
Just an FYI as a concerned reader. Express VPN & also I think Perfect Privacy VPN require a custom firmware install. RT-AC86U is not in the list of compatible routers. Not sure if there's another way to use Express VPN without having to use a custom firmware as I cannot find any ovpn files to download when I tried to use it. Try maybe IPVanish, PIA or NordVPN.

Hmm. I didn't think to look at that.

Try maybe IPVanish, PIA or NordVPN.
IPVanish Log!

NordVPN "Maybe" log
  • NordVPN has pros and cons that I mention above. (Panama Jurisdiction = traitors)
    Why I do not like NordVPN:
    1. Panama Jurisdiction
    2. Latinos.. we are trash and traitors, we do not keep our word.
    3. You can be sure that they send the complete log to the United States, if they request it.
    4. Is definitely good if you do not want to do some illegal stuff... ;)

Last edited:
A chat with ExpressVpn did say that they haven't tested the 86U yet,but may do so. I was linked to a manual install which they said may or may not work.

Just an FYI as a concerned reader. Express VPN & also I think Perfect Privacy VPN require a custom firmware install. RT-AC86U is not in the list of compatible routers. Not sure if there's another way to use Express VPN without having to use a custom firmware as I cannot find any ovpn files to download when I tried to use it. Try maybe IPVanish, PIA or NordVPN.

OpenVPN on Asuswrt-Merlin:

Last edited:

Well, you can use Express VPN .ovpn files in most routers mentioned in these forums and you don't necessarily need a custom firmware to install. The "custom" firmware ExpressVPN offers is a DD-WRT based one that you can install in certain routers with AC-87U being the "newest" one in the Asus lineup they recommend among other ones. This is also the "router app" that they refer to in most of their web pages. Its interface is completely different from that of Asus stock/Merlin FW and as soon as you install it you will realize that you are dealing with a DD-WRT firmware (if you have used it before :).

I installed the "app" in my AC-87U and it quite worked well. But again unlike Merlin's FW, you can't tweak its features as the "app" is limited in terms of the features it has to offer and one must be familiar with how DD-WRT works to attempt making any changes. Even if you do so, you will come to conclusion that you won't get very far. This app is a perfect option for those who want to use a VPN, switch from one server to another with a click of a button and not bother to make any additional changes to the existing configuration.

On the other hand, you can still install Merlin FW in your AC-87U, configure ExpressVPN and still make tweaks to its settings to achieve the performance you are looking for based on your needs. Or, you could also install a different DD-WRT firmware (any of BrainSlayer builds) and tweak it to you needs.

Hope this helps.

PIA also supports Asuswrt-Merlin, they even have a dedicated support agent focusing on it. They are also pretty nice "netizen", being involved in projects such as Freenode, and sponsoring a security audit of the OpenVPN code.

Note that 99% of VPN providers should be compatible, since OpenVPN is OpenVPN. Unless they use some custom, non-standard customized client, it will work with Asuswrt-Merlin. You just have to configure it properly - in most cases it's as easy as importing an ovpn file, and manually entering keys and certificates (if they aren't embedded in the ovpn file).

One other provider that does work but which I advise against is StrongVPN. I used them for a short time as I needed to test something (more specifically related to my ovpn import routine), and found their servers to be pretty slow in general, no matter which one I tried.

PIA also supports Asuswrt-Merlin, they even have a dedicated support agent focusing on it. They are also pretty nice "netizen", being involved in projects such as Freenode, and sponsoring a security audit of the OpenVPN code.

Note that 99% of VPN providers should be compatible, since OpenVPN is OpenVPN. Unless they use some custom, non-standard customized client, it will work with Asuswrt-Merlin. You just have to configure it properly - in most cases it's as easy as importing an ovpn file, and manually entering keys and certificates (if they aren't embedded in the ovpn file).

One other provider that does work but which I advise against is StrongVPN. I used them for a short time as I needed to test something (more specifically related to my ovpn import routine), and found their servers to be pretty slow in general, no matter which one I tried.

Good to know. thanks

Private Internet Access (PIA)
(March 12, 2016)
- PIA VPN Provider’s No-Logging Claims Tested in FBI Case

(Oct 15, 2017)
PIA lies about no logging. They do it by using word games. According to two now ex-PIA employees
- Private Internet Access caught lying about their no-logging statements

Verified “no logs” claims:

Last edited:
Read this:

Right now I am testing NordVPN, because it was cheap 3 years for 99 dollars and if I do not like it, I'm going to request a refund. (I plan to use this VPN as a backup)
I7Hd6P7.png

Before I was using ExpressVPN and IPVanish. (IPVanish Log and I can not request refund...)

After testing NordVPN, I will test Perfect Privacy and VPN.AC.

The Best VPN services for Privacy:

The Best VPN services for Streaming Netflix or Kodi and other services:

I recommend two VPNs at the same time, one for your router and another for your computer.
Example:

The VPN Services that I have tried so far:
ZG7GIjW.png

(I request a refund on most of the VPN services and at the moment I have ExpressVPN, NordVPN and IPVanish log)

Better to suffer in knowledge, than grin in ignorance.

Last edited:
Does it even matters having no lags or getting offshore when one uses VPN only for encrypted network to make it more secured paying bills or doing banking transactions online?

Using a VPN does not provide any additional security for these activities.

Private Internet Access (PIA)

(Oct 15, 2017)
PIA lies about no logging. They do it by using word games. According to two now ex-PIA employees
- Private Internet Access caught lying about their no-logging statements

Did you not read what you yourself link? That link is talking about employees objecting to the language used by PIA in announcements, i.e. the semantics of statements of "proof" presented to a court (there is no way to present such proof for any VPN provider anyway).

This has nothing to do with the fact that PIA is one of the only VPN providers who has, not just once but twice, publicly recorded, court claims of no logging in a developed country's judicial system. If there were "lies about no logging", PIA and every director would be screwed for life after such a claim, to put it generously, especially making such claims in the United States which has global reach like no other.

Last edited:
PIA is trash and I did not trust them, read this:
- Private Internet Access Review - A Cheap VPN with Drawbacks

These VPN services are 20 times better than PIA

That is fine to have that opinion. Just do not make trivially wrong claims about logging specifically and then pretend to be objective for other VPN services ... When people can simply Google you for being wrong, it makes people no longer trust a word you post about anything. There is enough fake news these days. :)